“WORST "hotel" I've ever stayed at, spend your $$ elsewhere!” 1 of 5 stars

Classic Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   92 Sussex Gardens | Hyde Park, London W2 1UH, England   |
Ranked #694 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Austin, Texas
“WORST "hotel" I've ever stayed at, spend your $$ elsewhere!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Wow. I reserved this room for one night during a July 2012 England vacation because it was close to Paddington and Marylebone stations - SO GLAD I only had it for one night. This "hotel" room was the smallest I've ever stayed in, even for a single. The door would barely swing open due to the bed and the chair. 5 flights of stairs to my room, no lift/elevator. No soap (!) or hair dryer in the room, I had to ask front desk for them & took forever to get them, I think they actually had to go to the store to buy soap. Advertised free Wifi didn't work in my top-floor room, signal too weak, I actually had to go sit on the stairwell downstairs by front desk to get it to work. Filthiest TV remote I've ever seen, I Lysoled it & still didn't want to touch it. Dirty rug on floor, hair (not mine) on phone. No hot water or water pressure in shower in AM!! No heat in room & it got cold, no extra blankets either. Very flimsy pillows, only 1 in pillowcase. Bathroom fan wouldn't turn off & I had to call front desk yet again to find out how to make it turn off. Sometime after midnight people were clopping up the stairs to rooms, yelling at the top of their lungs for other people ("Derek! Derek! Which room you in man?!") & at each other. I had to finally angrily yell out from my bed "HEY!" to get them to shut up. Breakfast was in the basement in a cramped room with no windows. All that for 85£, about $125, unbelievable. That would never fly in US for that much money, they couldn't stay in business. As I left guy at front desk said "you no worry about no wifi and no hot water, you come back again, it be better." Yeah right buddy, never.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there are any good rooms in this place, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

We had a quad room for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Room small but OK, good value for money given the location. Our room had the double bed and twins in different sections, which gave us a bit more privacy. Breakfast room small as commented elsewhere, Staff all friendly and polite. Five minutes walk from Paddington and from Hyde Park.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

Comfortably within zone 1 and just outside the congestion charge its in a fantastic location. Approx 400m from the nearest tube its very convenient for hitting all the sites.
Yes the rooms aren't huge, but they're enough for just sleeping/getting ready in.
Noise isn't a problem, cleanliness is great, temperature is fine.
For just £55 a night in this location (with option £10 a day parking) its really a bit of a steal!

• Stayed June 2012
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone going to London. We were there for 2 nights. The first thing we noticed was that there was no security lock on the door. The sheets had holes in them and the towels and bathmat were threadbare. The second night we were in our room sleeping when someone broke into our room about midnight. Turns out it was the front desk person saying he was returning our key to us - but our key was in our room with us! Very upsetting and a very unbelievable story that the front desk person tried to have us believe. I would never send anyone to stay here!

Room Tip: Please make sure any room you stay in has a double lock on the inside of your room. No room here h...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed 4 nights and on arrival we were allocated a single room, even though we are a mature couple.The double room was tiny, clean & well furnished but I had to climb from the foot of the bed to get in and out. The shower in the morning was cold & the water was a trickle, but was soon fixed by the staff. The breakfast room is inadequate & too small for so many people and there was always a long wait. Breakfast was good however with plenty of choice and the staff worked constantly & were always polite. The surrounding area is very nice and the hotel is close to the station & underground. All in all a good hotel but if you want room to move about-ask for a twin rather than a double then you get more space

Room Tip: Dont go for the fifth floor, water pressure poor and rooms tiny. Ask for a twin rather than a double...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night and found the hotel clean, the staff polite and helpful, and the location perfect. Although the rooms were a little small, this is typical for the style of house in central London and given the price what more can you ask for. The staff were always really polite and provided assistance whenever we asked. A good hotel for a short-stay in London.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
South Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Great location and relatively well priced for London but ridiculously cramped and hard to manouvre around with luggage. You'll need to be super fit to climb the steep stairs with your bags, so I suggest you pack light.

Ok for one night stay whilst visiting the city but I would avoid it if you plan to spend a couple of days sight seeing.

• Stayed October 2011

Been to Classic Hotel? Share your experiences!