“Not the worst” 3 of 5 stars
Review of LSE Bankside House

and 1 more site!
You added LSE Bankside House to your Saves list
LSE Bankside House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Sumner Street, London SE1 9JA , England (London Bridge)   |
Ranked #614 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Savannah, Georgia
“Not the worst”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Can be a great place to stay if you book ahead and get a nice room to stay in, especially if you're staying in a flat. Bedding is not great and the rooms are small, but its comfortable enough for a short stay. The kitchen and laundry facilities help a lot, and free wifi is available. Excellent security, great location, and fairly quiet. Be aware that it is very much a student type environment. Regular "maintenance" may disrupt your stay, however, and these are completely out of blue.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Nicole H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave us a review. We are glad that you found your stay at Bankside House acceptable, but we are disappointed to hear that you found our bedding to be below par. We are currently in the process of replacing all of our old bedding and based on some of our comments have decided to provide guests with extra pillows as standard. I would like to apologise if you found that maintenance visited your room out of the blue - we always aim to inform guests before work takes place and I assume in this case it must have been an urgent work taking place. We hope that you will stay with us again and if you do that you will find the issues you experienced this time round to have been resolved.

Regards,
Henry Hayes,
Bankside House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

And once you accept that and accept that you are getting value for money then you vpcan appreciate it.

Pros: spotlessly clean room, excellent location, good security, good price, tea and coffee and toiletries, small safe, good size TV on wall, comfortable mattress.
Cons: on ground floor no drinking water in rooms - we were given a key to the 8th floor kitchen which has an express lift from ground floor but found a first floor lounge much nearer to fill our kettle. Rather odd to have that set-up. Shower: you had to press the water flow button every 30 seconds or water shut off. Shower head fixed high up on wall and no adjustment so 5ft nothing me had to cower in a corner to avoid wetting hair (tip: take a shower cap if you want to avoid this).

We didn't find it too noisy. To the person who said flooring was stucky, it seems to be made of recycled rubber and cleaning it probably makes it feel that way rather than it being dirty.

Biggest drawback: we booked b and b but the restaurant was closed and seems to be routinely closed put of term so the people booking us should have known this. There are loads of restaurants, take aways, food shops, etc nearby but we would have preferred breakfast prepared for us.

Conclusion: the cost is so reasonable for London you just have to go with the fliw!

Room Tip: Ground floor 03 is next to reception if security is important. Take a shower cap if you don't w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at Bankside with LSE Top Floor and were really pleased with what we got! Instead of an en-suite hotel room we had a one bedroom apartment with sitting room and kitchen in central London for less than £100. The flat was clean, pleasantly furnished, the kitchen well equipped and the bed comfortable. There are plenty of dining options nearby but because we had a kitchen we used M&S Simply Food, just round the corner, to buy supplies for dinner and breakfast. The money we saved not eating out, made the room even better value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Within walking distance of major London attractions, you can't beat the Bankside House for summer accommodations in the heart of London. The residence rooms are nothing special - standard university residence rooms with two single beds, desks, chairs, with ensuite bathroom. For the same money in a smaller city, you might get a swanky hotel room. But for the price, you won't find better accommodations in central London. It is within walking distance to major attractions, including the Shakespeare Globe Theatre, the Tate Gallery of Modern Art, St. Paul's Cathedral, etc. Plus, of course, Tube stations abound so it is very easy to travel from Bankside to other parts of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Three friends and I stayed here during the 2012 Olympics. First up, this accommodation did not increase its price during the Olympics, which is commendable. We booked a room for four, and for value for money this can't be beaten. The room was large, clean and equipped with sufficient basic furniture and en-suite shower room. The breakfast is worth having, too. Don't stay here if you want luxury or romance, because you'll be disappointed (there are plenty of other places in London that cater for those markets). Do stay here if you want somewhere central, socially responsible, reliably clean, that offers good value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked a quadruple room at this Bankside House because of its central location and a discount through Groupon. However, I wish I would have spent my money elsewhere... My family and I stayed 3 nights and they were bearable but I would not recommend it for anyone that doesn't want to live in a student dorm, with plenty of young students roaming around. When we checked in, we came into a lobby full of students presumably staying there for the summer. The people at reception weren't very friendly and I felt as if somehow they were doing us a favor for letting us stay. Once we got into the room, we had 4 single beds that were uncomfortable - we could feel the metal springs. There was no AC and even when we opened the window slightly, it didn't help as the room was stuffy throughout the night. The bathroom was small and looked quite worn. There was no wifi (even to pay for) and the only source of internet were 2 computers in the lobby that were constantly in use by the students staying there in the summer. The location is central but still a 10 minute walk to the Blackfriars station.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in my 20's and when I travel, I often stay at hostels as to save money and I'm not too picky about my beds, but for a place like this to advertise themselves as a hotel (although budget), I was disappointed, especially bringing my family here. It was cheap, but I had thought that was because of the groupon deal that we got. Numerous times, I thought I was staying in a youth hostel, and that's not something I want to say when traveling with my mom. Only plus, it came with a decent hot breakfast downstairs.

Meh, wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a good accomodation and very central. Good value for price. The location is the best thing of this place.
But the rooms are very modest and noisy. The place is always full of young people and the noise goes on during the whole night!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to LSE Bankside House? Share your experiences!