“Ok...if you want to stay at a youth hostel.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of LSE Bankside House

and 1 more site!
You added LSE Bankside House to your Saves list
LSE Bankside House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   24 Sumner Street, London SE1 9JA , England (London Bridge)   |
Ranked #615 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Los Angeles, California
“Ok...if you want to stay at a youth hostel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked a quadruple room at this Bankside House because of its central location and a discount through Groupon. However, I wish I would have spent my money elsewhere... My family and I stayed 3 nights and they were bearable but I would not recommend it for anyone that doesn't want to live in a student dorm, with plenty of young students roaming around. When we checked in, we came into a lobby full of students presumably staying there for the summer. The people at reception weren't very friendly and I felt as if somehow they were doing us a favor for letting us stay. Once we got into the room, we had 4 single beds that were uncomfortable - we could feel the metal springs. There was no AC and even when we opened the window slightly, it didn't help as the room was stuffy throughout the night. The bathroom was small and looked quite worn. There was no wifi (even to pay for) and the only source of internet were 2 computers in the lobby that were constantly in use by the students staying there in the summer. The location is central but still a 10 minute walk to the Blackfriars station.

Don't get me wrong. I'm in my 20's and when I travel, I often stay at hostels as to save money and I'm not too picky about my beds, but for a place like this to advertise themselves as a hotel (although budget), I was disappointed, especially bringing my family here. It was cheap, but I had thought that was because of the groupon deal that we got. Numerous times, I thought I was staying in a youth hostel, and that's not something I want to say when traveling with my mom. Only plus, it came with a decent hot breakfast downstairs.

Meh, wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Brighton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

It's a good accomodation and very central. Good value for price. The location is the best thing of this place.
But the rooms are very modest and noisy. The place is always full of young people and the noise goes on during the whole night!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is a great place to stay, not least because of its very friendly atmosphere. The reception staff were helpful, especially with my many touristy queries. The accommodation was basic but clean, spacious and comfortable. The real highlight was the superb breakfast - I still dream of the croissants!! It is terrific value for money and in a very good position.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Bangor, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

i asked for a quiet room, what i got was noisy people outside and inside from 12 pm till 4 in the morning. night security did nothing to stop the noise, i asked the man on the desk if he could move me to another room but he said nothing was available, [very unhelpfull]. 4 days of torture. never again.

Room Tip: front single rooms like G13 are very noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Last minute booking for one night (business) due to preferred hotels in area being booked up.

The mattress was painfully thin - you can feel the metal bed frame through it. The duvet was too thin for the temperature of the room. The pillow was too thin and as there was only one, it was an uncomfortable, and cold, night. The carpet was 'crusty' underfoot, and there was (someone else's) hair on the bedding and the floor. Handles were broken on the drawers and wardrobe. There was only one hanger. Paint was peeling from the walls and skirting.

The shower room was disgusting. The toilet hadn't been cleaned in a very long time - the brown marks in the bowl tell you all you need to know about the housekeeping. The shower cubicle had leaked water all over the floor before I even turned it on so that I had to wade through an inch deep puddle before I could reach the WC. The shower head was caked with limescale, the grout was badly stained and the nooks and crannies of the cubicle were full of black gunk. There were discarded toiletry bottle tops and and disposable contact lens packaging in the cubicle too. Although it was supposed to be a bathroom shared with one other room, the other room was unoccupied that night so this was another case of housekeeping not being all it could be.

Advertised communal facilities were unavailable so having arrived near midnight with a microwave meal to heat in the communal kitchen, I was unable to eat…

Had I arrived earlier in the evening, I'd have taken one look and left again. As it was, it was too late to find another room so I stayed. I won't be staying again. I'm not sure why the housekeeping is so poor when at The LSE Rosebery, things were immaculate.

On the plus side, the room was cheap (but that doesn't excuse the dirt) and the breakfast was good.

I didn't complain at the time because I was only going to be in the acccom 6-7 hrs max and didn't think the night porter would be able to do anything about the issues described. I have since contacted LSE Bankside to advise them of these points.

It's functional and, if you're on a tight budget, would suit. But the LSE Rosebery offers significantly cleaner and more comfortable rooms for the same money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

- Remember: These are University Dorms.

- Expect basic rooms with very basic beds (they reminded me of hospital or prison beds) and you won't be disapointed.

- Cheapest room I could find that was fairly central London

- Clean room with private bathroom

- NO MIRRORS! - If you need to do make-up etc, remember to pack a mirror with you!

- Perfect breakfast in the morning with oodles of choice

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Bankside House is a great budget choice for London. It's clean, comfortable and convenient (just behind Tate Modern) with helpful staff and serves up a great cooked breakfast.There aren't any double rooms (only twin - but en-suite with tea/coffee making facilities) but if you don't mind that, or the 'student hostel' atmosphere in the common areas, you'll find it compares very favourably to the budget hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter one at the back/overlooking inner courtyard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to LSE Bankside House? Share your experiences!