“Conveniently Located within walking distance from major attractions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grange Wellington Hotel

You added Grange Wellington Hotel to your Saves list
Grange Wellington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hostel   |   71 Vincent Square, London SW1P 2PA, England (Westminster / Belgravia)   |
Ranked #99 of 663 Specialty Lodging in London
Georgetown, Guyana
“Conveniently Located within walking distance from major attractions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The reception staff at the Wellington were most helpful as were those who were in attendance at the breakfast area. I was able to walk to and from Broadway House where I attended a Workshop. I was also able to walk to and from Victoria Station, Westminister Abbey, the London Eye, Shopping Complexes, eating Houses, pubs and so many other places of great interest. I would recommend the Wellington as the haven for anyone who want to see central London with a low budget. Keep it up Wellington.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Jefferson City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I booked a double room for my daughter and her father and repeatedly asked for two twin beds as they were traveling together. She is entering the University of London and they needed a place that was not too expensive and centrally located. First we were not told about the major renovations going on. It would have been nice to know. Secondly, after repeated e-mails letting them know that ONLY two beds would be acceptable, they were given a one bed room. The room is very nice, but where is the other person supposed to sleep? I don't care how nice the rooms are, I won't be staying when I come to visit. I'll find another nice centrally located place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We nearly cancelled our online booking to stay here 17 and 18 August after reading the reviews saying the hotel was a back-packers hostel. My daughter lives nearby and we went to check out the location before making a decision. Fortuitously a very smart gentleman asked if we were remembering how the hotel used to look. I replied that I wanted to see if the TA reports were valid. It turned out the Tony worked there and he assured me the the Wellington was being transformed. We kept our booking and had a lovely two nights there for my husbands birthday. The beds are very comfortable; the room is clean and the shower brilliant although the bath side was a bit high for me to climb over. The tea tray has Ridgeway tea bags - such a change from the cheap ones you often get. True the reception needs a make-over but the staff are charming and helpful. The refurbishments appear to be of a high standard as they are keeping the lovely traditional features such as fireplaces and panelling.
So go on - book in. I am sure you will not be disappointed. The hotel is very well situated, clean and comfortable and well-priced. What more can you want?

Room Tip: Air conditioning was new and the quietest I have ever heard. Don't know why pool and fitness cen...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
U.K.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This hotel is now The Grange Wellington and is currently under major refurbishment to get it up to the standards of the other Grange hotels in the group. Reception staff said they were hoping the refurbishment should be completed by the end of 2013. I believe half the hotel rooms are refurnished now (as at end August 2013) and therefore you are guarenteed a lovely freshly refurbished room. We were only staying in a basic double room but it was a very smart clean room with a lovely clean en suite bathroom, air con/heating system, tv, hairdryer, tea/coffee making facilities etc and at the moment the rooms are a very good price becasue the hotel is still being refurbished and therefore you might expect some constuction noise etc during the day. We were very pleased with this hotel, it was perfect for our stay in London. It is in a lovely pretty quiet area. It's a 15-20 minute walk from Victoria Coach Station, possibly a similar walk from Victoria train station and Victoria tube station but we never did those journeys, and about an 8-10 minute walk from Pimlico tube station. We were very lucky with the weather whilst we were in London and therefore happy to do these walks, but the staff at reception would have happily called us a taxi if we required it and in wet or windy weather I can imagine that would be an offer you might want to consider unless you are dressed for the weather. We also walked to Westminister Pier from the hotel to catch a Thames cruise and this was only about a 20 minute walk. If it interests you the Barclays bike scheme also has a row of bikes for hire nearby in the road behind the hotel.
The staff were all very friendly and very accomodating. The hotel is happy to store your bags if you arrive early before check in or depart much later than check out time (like we did) so that you can get straight out and explore the city. If you are lucky and give them a heads up that you are arriving early you might even be able to check in early (like we did) but they can not guarentee they can always achienve this as it obviously depends on the turn around of rooms.
The continental breakfast supplied (choice of tea/coffee, toast, cereal, fruit salad, yoghurt, pastries and continental meats/cheese) is a perfectly adequate choice to set you up to start a day in London, and if you want it you can pay extra for an English breakfast (but we didn't, so I can not comment on this).
If you need a bite to eat in the evenings in the area, there is a little bar/restaurant behind the Grance Rochester hotel next door and we saw at least an Indian and Italian restaurant on the road behind the hotel, there are likely other things nearby too if you look hard enough. There are also plently of shops a very short walk nearby (like Tesco Metro) if you just need to pick up snacks/drinks etc.
I would happily recommend this to friends and I would be happy to stay here again ... sadly I don't think I'll be able to afford it once the refurbishment is complete though and the prices go up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Malmö
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

The room was fantastic, modern with new amenities to revival any good hote. Staff were helpful & polite. It is in a quiet safe neighborhood.
However there is a major rebuild going on. Everything is being overhauled. So don't be shock if it looks like a building site from the outside, in the foyer and corridors because once you get to your room it is very nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

The only negative point it's the distance to Victoria station, about ten minutes walking, because when we do the booking know that bathrooms are in the corridors, but always are spotlessly clean. quiet region with good theaters next. Good location, nice breakfast, offers internet. Good cleaning. Recommend!

• Stayed September 2012
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked this hotel upon my arrival at Heathrow airport. i didn’t had any internet coverage to check it online but the tourist office representative assured me it’s a very good hotel and cheaper than the one i was already booked with.
I took the risk, inquired on why it would be a 4 star hotel yet cheaper than a 3 star hotel. The answer was that they have just finished renewing the hotel, hence, lower prices and better rooms.
The exterior of the building is nice, traditional English building, the area is very calm and the Vincent square is just outside the hotel, great scenery. It was when i entered the hotel that i was about to have a shock, the carpet is very old, the whole furniture looks like something related to a 2 star hotel in the 80’s. It looked retro and similar to a hostel not a hotel. The corridor was in such a mess, i discovered that the refurbishments haven’t finished yet. No elevator, you have to take the stairs, but the staff are very helpful, professional and friendly.
As soon as i entered my room, my impression changed 180 degrees, the room is just fantastic, and I cannot believe I forgot to take pics of it. Very spacious compared to the room in other hotels i have checked in earlier. i was in room 223.
There is plenty of space to put your stuff, to store your empty luggage, big bathroom and shower. There is a tray filled everyday with Complementary tea, coffee.
the room have a fridge, but in order to open it, u need a 50 pound deposit for each day, i wanted to use it to store some water and food i might bring in with me, but told i can’t empty it, still they will charge me which is very unhelpful somehow unlike other 4 and 5 star hotel can do. They need to change that policy.
The breakfast wasn’t really good, although the price is included but i would like if we have the option to take off the price of breakfast. It was said to be a continental one, but very poor options, if u want to order an egg, an extra 3 pounds will be added, the basic price was 12 pounds, and if u want to have a full English breakfast, an extra 6 pounds will be added.
I have been to a 2 star hotel, bed and breakfast ones and they do offer much richer breakfast options with lesser prices.
As for the constructions that was and still going on, it started at 7 every morning, but when i notified the management that it should start at least by 9, as all of us are people on vacation, no need to wake up that early, the management did comply to this, even when there was some drilling earlier to 9, it was in a relatively remote areas of the hotel.
I know this is a long review, and can be contradicting at some point, but this is the real situation, very nice rooms, very helpful and friendly staff, but ongoing constructions are the major issue here, so it’s your call.

p.s: by the time I wrote this review, I have seen that others have posted their own and some of them said the staff are rude for asking the guest to come down just to get an internet voucher. I have to say that during my 11 days stay, all the staff were very friendly and far from being rude. This is their system, either you give the credit card and have a 24 hour internet, that even if it ends up, just by a call you can obtain another 24, or buy the smaller vouchers, which I used to do just before I go back to my room. I agree that they could do some sort of an extra mile thing and send someone to the room with the voucher, but still they need someone to pay for the voucher or maybe they lack staff designated for this sort of services, this does not negate the fact that all of them, no exception, are very nice and friendly.

Room Tip: i was in room 223, overlooked the side garden of the hotel, but now full with consruction stuff. the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grange Wellington Hotel? Share your experiences!