My sister and I spent 6 grueling nights at the Wellington. We booked the hotel at the airport so we had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The rooms were pre-paid and non-refundable, otherwise I would have sought out other accommodations.
To start off, you need to understand that the Wellington is not a purpose built hotel, but rather an old college dormitory that has been repurposed. This of course means that all bathroom and shower facilities are shared. These shared facilities are in a generally terrible state of disrepair. The towel hooks near the showers are falling out of the wall, there is mold on the ceilings of the showers, the hand dryers do not work, etc.
Moving on from the showers, the rooms themselves are equally bad. They are small, dirty, and unkempt. Exposed wires run along the inside walls. Paint is flaking. Comforters and sheets are stained. Beds as hard as a rock. The windows only open 2-3 inches and no fan or air conditioning is provided in the room. If you ask the staff for a fan they will grumble and eventually after some time bring one to your room. I might add that the fan they will provide might be the smallest electric fan in the world. The floors are extremely creaky which creates a major nuisance when trying to fall asleep at night as other guests thunder about.
As I was told by the staff at the front desk, the only thing complimentary at the Wellington is water. Indeed, they charge by the minuted for internet access. No WiFi is available at all. The breakfast is an unmitigated disaster. Do not eat it, you will likely fall ill (as I did).
I'm confident that I am forgetting a few horrid details, but the message should be clear, do not stay at the Wellington.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Peacefully located in Westminster on leafy Vincent Square, the Grange Wellington Hotel provides a retreat from the commotion of the City, whilst remaining within easy reach of Buckingham Palace, St. James’s Park, and Westminster Abbey. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, HostelBookers and Agoda so you can book your Grange Wellington Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Wellington Hotel London
- Wellington Hotel London
- Grange Wellington Hotel London, England