“Excellent service and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castleton Hotel

You added Castleton Hotel to your Saves list
Castleton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164-166 Sussex Gardens | Paddington, London W2 1UD , England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #641 of 1,065 Hotels in London
“Excellent service and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We moved here at the last minute due to the other hotel we had booked not having disabled access. I can't compliment the staff enough, every one of them that we encountered was friendly and helpful, it really helped us enjoy our stay. Breakfast was basic english breakfast, nice bacon and sausage with toast and coffee brought to the table.
We stayed in a basement room, brill for the wheelchair with a massive wet room that really did make all the difference.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I stayed here, because me and my sister wanted to extend our stay in London and we had limited options to chose from. We chose this hotel, because it's located near Paddington Station. It's really a two minute walk (walk out of the station, cross the street and just basically walk straight forward, you can enter at nr 22). The hotel employees were really helpful and when we asked for a room on a higher floor, we got a room on the second floor. The room itself was actually meant for three persons, so it had a twin bed and an extra bed near the window. It wasn't as small as I expected (I expected the worst, reading the reviews, but it wasn't as bad as I thought). The furniture and carpet were dated, but it was clean. The bathroom was small and the shower even smaller (and i'm small... I'm 1.55m). You couldn't lock the hotelroom from the inside, which I didn't like and when people in the adjoining room closed or opened their room, it sounded like my door was being opened or closed...not really a safe feeling, so we put our suitcase against it.

We really booked the hotel because of the location and for one night this hotel was okay and really simple, but quite expensive for what you get. I wouldn't want to stay here for more days. You can't really chill here. The neighbourhood is nice though with restaurants and it's quiet in the evening,

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Bromborough
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

Not the best of hotels. We were in Basement room. (No view) . Double and 2 signal beds. Not much room for moving and small compact bedroom . For our needs this hotel suited as we just wished to sleep in it for one night. if I was staying longer would not gVe been happy. breakfast was ok , sausage,bacon ,egg , beans, toast and cereal. One good point was that it was close to Paddington tube station .

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
KL,M'sia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Castleton is actually converted from an old Victorian house located at Sussex Gardens along a row of other small / boutique hotels and is really near the Paddington Station and Heathrow Express. There are also many small eateries just outside the hotel. As I shifted to this hotel from a 5 star hotel just to be closer to the station which allows for easier handling of my huge luggage, my expectations of the hotel was not that high. What I wanted was just a clean place with warm bath to call it a night. I stayed at Castleton for 1 night and then checked-out to go to the Lake District and rechecked-in again for just another night. Therefore, I was pleasantly surprised by the excellent service level received. The reception was attentive and most helpful especially Talal who generously waived the luggage storage fees for me when I informed of my total ignorance of such fees and he even acceded to my request to be given the same room ( which is in fact an upgrade ) upon my return !! The rooms at Castleton screams of needs to be brightened up and some mattresses replaced. The rooms were too dimly lit and the bathroom … oh the bathroom !! It is so small that there is hardly space to turn. I thought modular bathrooms were only used in Japan !! Well, it will definitely be a challenge for any adult Caucasians of regular build. However, I would still return for a stay at Castleton though because of its strategic location, fantastic service and adequate breakfast.

Room Tip: Room 206 is pretty decent
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Santiago de Compostela, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Old Victorian house converted into a hotel (as many around Sussex Gardens) with a familiar environment and a good service. So near from Paddington Station, for good communication with airports and subway. Also near the Lancaster Gate subway station for more metro lines. Not a hotel near many interest sites (but Hyde Park), you will need to get a transport to visit the city. A good area with many hotels at good prices, probably the biggest "good price" hotel area of the city.

Room Tip: Rooms in the high floors are more quiet. Not many big rooms, but well distributed and organized.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2014

I found the Castleton, clean simple, with polite staff and not a bad breakfast.

It's prob not quite 4 star but I lot better then a number around Paddington I have tried for the same money, would be happy to use again at the £84 for a double room I got on late rooms

The keys are massive and can't be taken away so don't forget your room number!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014

Great location, close to Paddington station and a few interesting restaurants, friendly staff, abundant English breakfast, clean -yet small- room and minuscule bathroom -rather cabin than room- Still, good value for money. My safe place when visiting London.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Been to Castleton Hotel? Share your experiences!