“location location and clean!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castleton Hotel

You added Castleton Hotel to your Saves list
Castleton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164-166 Sussex Gardens | Paddington, London W2 1UD , England   |
Ranked #656 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Holly Springs, NC
“location location and clean!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We were very happy with this hotel. It was located conveniently a block from Paddington Station (where you can catch the Heathrow Express and the Tube), also right next to a hop-on hop-off bus stop. It was in a safe area, nice park next door with a large chessboard. We were walking distance to Hyde Park. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful! The room was small, but we expected that. The room was basic but very clean. We found this to be a great value for such a convenient location. I work in the travel industry and plan on recommending it as a great place to stay when touring London!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I am conflicted in my review of this hotel. Stayed in room G03 for 3 nights in October, my first reaction was "what a super tiny room!". Tried to take some photos of the room, but had very little space to do so. However, I have to say that the room is very very clean, and the single bed, extra comfy. Considering that the bed is just separated from the street by a wall; it was generally noisy, and the room being the just beside reception, can hear people talking outside, well, considering all that, I managed to sleep very well indeed. The bathroom was small too, but on the whole squeaky clean! Looking at the fire exit floor plan, it appears that G03 is the smallest room on that floor, but I guess a room on the groud floor is much better than that in lower ground.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My sister and I had requested a twin bed room. It was more like a twin bed cupboard with a little room between the beds. It was tiny but this is London so it wasn't too much of an issue. We were very concerned that the minuscule bathroom, similar to a ferry or a caravan emitted a dreadful odour. We were unable to shower in June room or leave the door open as the stench was too great. It smelt of drains and raw sewage and made both of us feel quite sick. We approached to desk and were told they would fix it, it improved a little then went back to the original state. We were then told we would be moved. It was just to placate us they didn't care. All three men at the desk told us the same thing but nothing was done. Then we were told that there were no more rooms available. One day we were told to pack and our things would be moved, of inure this didn't happen. It was rude and insulting to be treated so badly in London, the staff did not care and didn't help us at all. I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and don't go there. The location was good but they promised a lot and deli...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you ‘denisefromgeelong’ for posting a review. I am sorry to read that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I have checked with the receptionists and as you rightly state you complained about a smell coming from you shower. The Housekeeper checked the room but could detect no smell. A thorough clean of the drains was carried out by our in house maintenance team just to make sure everything was ok.
It was unfortunate that you state the smell had come back. Upon further investigation no smell was detected and you asked to move rooms. Your visit coincided with a very busy period in London and we had no vacant rooms to move you to. You were told to pack your suitcase on the off chance that we had a cancellation and we would move your room. Unfortunately there were no cancellations and you had to stay in the same room.
My team did everything in their power to resolve the situation but there was nothing else they could have done for you.
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed at the hotel one night Sun 6th October. This was my 5th visit to the hotel in the past couple of years. The front of house staff / duty managers I have met have always been very pleasant to talk to and helpful. Received a warm welcome on arrival. Hotel is in a very convenient location. The room was a little dark possibly due to it's location within the building and there was a bit of noise from the heating system units outside, but not a huge problem and no outside street noise. More importantly I have found the rooms (so far stayed in 402, L109, L112, 201 and g09), bedding and towels to be very clean. Rooms very spacious and not too warm but not too cold either. The bed was comfortable. The ''pod'' / modular style compact shower rooms are brilliant - ideal for one person and superb shower water temperature quality and flow. Easy to keep tidy and non-slip flooring. Could do with one at home! A nice quiet hotel - very little noise from outside and other rooms above. I like the breakfast room and that classic fm radio was on in the background. The breakfast food was freshly cooked and the breakfast staff worked very hard to ensure guests received tea / coffee and toast as quickly as possible. Tip: go to breakfast early (a note in the lift gives the times). In fact this time the lady had brought coffee and toast as soon as I sat down! Choice of breakfast items is ok. The hotel communal downstairs rooms, corridors, reception area is well maintained and the lift is a nice modern one. The cleaning, reception, breakfast and other staff work hard and do their best to ensure guests are looked after. As a single female traveller I always feel safe in this hotel, it is nice having the benefit of 24 hour staffed front desk and telephone in the room just in case.

Room Tip: Depends on one's preferences. Book in advance and ring the hotel beforehand if you have specifi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

First surprise was that I specifically asked for a double bed when did my reservation, only to find twin ones.....when asked for a change i was told there was no availability (I found this a lack of ethics from them). On top of that, each bed had a different size being one of them even smaller than a standard twin. The room was extremely small (i read similar reviews like this one myself, but could never imagine they are thatr small),....we could barely leave the luggage.Also, there was no chair, no desk, no minibar, no nothing in it (since there was no space), and the bathroom was the size- and qualities- of an airplane toilett. In all honestly, having paid 170 GBP for one night, I felt ripped off.

On the upside, is 3 min walk from Paddington Station....very convenient if u have an early flight from HTW..

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

If the rooms would cost 30€, I would had gave it 5 stars. I paid 206€ for 1 night. Certainly the rooms might not be all at the same level, however mines was smelling mouldy and measly. It is true that the room and bath looked clean but everything inside was cheapest of cheapest. The view made me think at a dwelling from suburbs of New York.
It might be a cultural misunderstanding, but breathing cheap air for 25€ per hour it's a very high price, even for UK.
The only advantage of this hotel is the location - 3 min walking to Paddington station.

Stayed September 2013

Been to Castleton Hotel? Share your experiences!