“Ideal small hotel for occasional London visit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castleton Hotel

You added Castleton Hotel to your Saves list
Castleton Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   164-166 Sussex Gardens | Paddington, London W2 1UD , England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #637 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Ideal small hotel for occasional London visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

If you got much closer to Paddington you would be on the platform !

Room was clean and functional , would class it as a small double, ideal for crash pad after walking London sites,

People have been down about the showers, these are smallish performed units,,I'm not a small guy and they fitted me easy with lots off hot water, and more important to me very clean,

area has bars and cafes,shops. Typical busy London

Breakfast was excellent, sausages well cooked and tasty as was the rest

Staff very pleasant and helpful, looked after our luggage when we checked out, so we didn't have to lug it around, they also allowed us top drop it off earlier to do the same.

Wi-fi free and the best I've ever had in any hotel and we where on the third floor!

Lots within walking distance Oxford street /marble arch 15 mins walk

Really recommend this place ,ideal simple clean budget hotel ,£ 75 for a twin including eat as much as you want breakfast in London

Just don't expect big rooms !

I'll use it again :-)

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Ennis, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

based about 2 city blocks from Paddington Station makes this hotel a perfect medium priced
hotel for daily excursions in, and around London via both the Underground or the National
trains out to the countryside.
Yes, the hotel rooms are small and the bathroom is tiny but are very clean and staff was great.
English breakfast standard is fine unless you get tired and want something else which they
only have cereal and toast.
Plenty of eating places literally across the street and the green Harrods buss will pickup you
up right next door if you decide to use there package bus tour of London.
Would stay there again as the area is well lit and easily accessible and staff welcoming.
Lift was broken for few days but luckily we were on 1st floor.

Room Tip: Wifi in lobby and on first floor worked ok but room too small for business travelers. 2 people in o...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ennis, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was my first time to London and I wasn't too sure what the accommodations would be like. I was pleasantly surprised when my friend and I arrived at the Castleton Hotel. The room and bathroom were small by American standards, but the staff and location made up for the small room. Never had to go very far for meals, several restaurants and two supermarkets within walking distance. Excellent location for rapid transit; bus, underground and national rail station two short blocks from hotel. Room was clean and comfortable. We received clean towels every day. Reception was always staffed, and very helpful. Breakfast was the traditional English breakfast served buffet style, plenty of food to eat. Our room faced Sussex Garden Street, but it was very quiet at night. We had a wonderful time and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on Ground or 1st floor. Stairs are narrow and lift does not always work. After a long...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We had a very nice stay in London this november, thanks to Castleton Hotel, we had a nice clean room, service was excellent, the weather was almost perfect. It was a lovely trip, and most important we saw our friends of the hotel Mark & Prashant. We will certainly come back!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Staying in a smaller than a shoe box room with a stinking camper van like bathroom, in which you not only reverse into but also hold your breath to not accidentely in-hale the fumes.
Location was key when selecting this hotel at a budget as it also included breakfast. A very basic one without any extras during a 2 hour window 7-9am. All at once made this too a very stressed start of the day.

Mentioning value for money seems far-fetched as there really wasn't any value, and needless to say that it wasn't that cheap either. If you have to stay in Paddington area, this is what to expect according to the staff. However, having stayed across the road previously I know this isn't a true statement.

Security felt not great either as you have to leave the key in reception when leaving the hotel. Once I by accident said the wrong room number upon receiving the key without any hesitation. Right...that should say it all if you care about the stuff in the room.

+ Location in Paddington
- Everything else

Room Tip: If staying at this hotel in a double room, make sure to AVOID room 203.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Mark0brien, Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Many thanks "Anders640" for taking time to post a review regarding your recent stay at our hotel.

I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. The bedrooms are small but this is not unusual for London. We opted for space saver modular bathrooms in some of the room in order to maximise the floor space. We are superbly located between Paddington and Lancaster gate tube stations giving easy access to all parts of the city. We are also a walking distance from other sites of London i.e Hyde Park, Oxford street, Portobello Market etc.

Our rooms are very clean and comfortable as reviewed in most of the posts across various internet sites. All of the hotel bathrooms are fitted with the exhaust fans.

Price reflects to the demand in the area at the time of booking and is in line with the other 3 star accommodation providers in the area.

I am shocked and concerned to learn of your experience at our hotel. We take security of the building and our guests very seriously.
As a result of your complaint we have retrained the staff on security procedures.
I would like to apologize on behalf of my staff and the hotel.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

As a woman travelling on her own I felt very comfortable and safe staying at The Castleton. It doesn't look much from the outside but it has a homely feel and the staff are excellent. The rooms were small but clean. The bed was very comfortable. The tea and coffee facilities are minimal however you can always ask for extra milk or as it is so close to the Paddington Train station I used to pick up extra supplies for a midnight snack at Marks and Spencers, Sainsburys or Boots. It is only a short walk to the end of the street and the connections to the rest of London and Heathrow and greater London are terrific. I originally had a room on the street side of the hotel which was noisy at night times but interesting during the day. I was drawn to watching the people coming and going from the Italian Cafe across the stret and it made me think of Venice or Rome! The hotel's breakfast was very good with a choice of sausages, eggs, beans, toast, etc. The staff were very friendly and as I stayed there for nearly 2 weeks we became good friends! As soon as I entered the breakfast room they knew what I wanted. The breakfast room doesn't have a view but that was ok and it was very clean and music played in the background while I ate or caught up on my emails. The internet was free throughout the hotel and the connection seemed to be very good on either my mobile or laptop. I would definitely recommend this hotel however you may want to be on the slim side to fit into the shower in some of the rooms. The best room was on the ground floor at the back of the hotel where I felt right at home. The airconditioning worked well for those cool mornings too. I thought the rates were very reasonable however you do need to book in advance to get the best deal and Booking.com was a lifesaver. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a female travelling on her own.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel away from the street
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Castleton Hotel? Share your experiences!