“Great location poor service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Olympic House Hotel

You added Olympic House Hotel to your Saves list
Olympic House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   138-140 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UB, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #746 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Recife, PE
“Great location poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We stayed at the Olympic House for a couple of nights while in London, the area is really nice with plenty of nice restaurants and easy (and cheap) transportation to main attractions. Subways station is just some blocks away. Room was okay, clean and quiet, bathroom was not too small, cable tv available. Front desk people were very unkind, there was an Indian guy who was actually very impolite and rude, the other day an old lady was definitely very rude, she didn't even want to call us a cab.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Greek first
Dorset UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I booked a single room for 2 nights here whilst working in London. For the price (60-80GBP per night) and location (central London, reasonable area) I think it represents very good value. According to its website it was refurbished in 2007 - which I can believe as it generally seemed in good condition, and the fittings were reasonably modern (in that old fashioned way hotels seem to do!), e.g. Corian washbasin.

The room was as small as you could make it really, but when working late that doesn't worry me. There's no tea/coffee in the room, but there was a LCD TV with plenty of Freeview channels. There's paid-for wifi (about 10GBP per day I think). I was on the top (4th) floor and it was a bit hot/stuffy but I turned the radiator off. The road was a bit noisy in the morning but with double glazing it didn't really bother me.

Breakfast was a basic continental - two types of cereal, some cold meats/cheese, toast and tea/coffee/orange.

It's less than 5 mins walk from Lancaster Gate tube (Central Line, zone 1), and I guess less than 10 mins to Paddington station.

I have rated the hotel highly simply because it's very good value for a solo traveller looking for a basic, clean hotel (especially when you compare it to, say, Travelodge). I'll probably stay again.

Tip: I had a nice curry at Mughals restaurant round the corner in London Street (drinks were overpriced though).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012 via mobile

Very basic but flawless, almost. Nicely reconditioned and very clean. Warm enough (considering it snowed in London). Shower worked, as did digi-TV.
Breakfast included juice, coffee/tee, toast, butter, ham, cheese, marmelade, corn flakes, milk, boiled eggs and chocolate croissants.
Little things could have made the difference. Something extra to the breakfast e.g. Wall hooks for wintercoats e.t.c. A bit longer beds, longer than 190 cm. Larger blanket sheet than the blanket, thanks (note, only one blanket in double bed). Proper room for luggage after you have checked out, please.
But over all very good quality with decent price. And no complaints about the staff nor the service. PS. Within a walking distance from Paddington Station!

• Stayed February 2012
York, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Olympic House, very conveniently located and nice area. We loved that we were just a few blocks from Paddington Station and many Pubs, shops, and walking distance to Hyde Park. The Sussex Garden area was very nice and quiet. We arrived, at Heathrow, at 6:30 a.m. and headed via the Heathrow Connect to Paddington Station; so close to our hotel we just strolled with our luggage straight to the hotel and dropped it off, used the loo and headed out for a late breakfast. The hotel clerk said they would have our room ready, early (1:00 p.m.), and they did. We were very happy about that, we needed to shower and nap after our long night of flying. The hotel room was small - by American standards - but had everything we needed for our 8 night stay. The bathroom, was even smaller; I am guessing it use to be a closet, in it's previous life. We could not get in and out of the shower, due to the bifold door opening out and hitting the small sink/counter (had it opened into the shower, there would not have been a problem). My husband had to take the door half off of it's track, so we could get in. I am a very small size person and found it difficult to enter the shower, my husband couldn't get in at all; before fixing the problem. There was a free continental breakfast served daily- but we only went on our first morning. We would just grab something, at Paddington Station, before our daily Tube ride to our next adventure. I was disappointed to find out that the advertised (on their website) iron available upon request - meant that after 2 p.m. they would setup the iron board and iron in the downstairs hallway for you to iron your clothes (this hallway leads to the breakfast room and more hotel rooms) so it was a very inconvenient situation. I sent my husband down, on our first day to iron 3 day's of clothing for us (I know he is a real Saint for doing this - I was getting ready for our first adventure out, after our nap) - we never were able to get the iron after that. I used my curling iron's to remove wrinkles, after that first day. I could have brought my own travel iron; if I knew that we could not have an iron sent to our room for our visit. We were lucky enought to spend our last full day, in London, on the hottest day they have had in 5 years. We were even more pleased that our hotel room had air conditioning - we paid 5 pounds cash (the only way to get the a/c turned on) to have 8 hours of heaven! So, glad we made sure our hotel choice had the a/c option; who knew it would be in the high 80's and 90's, in London? Even though there were some unexpected little problems, we loved our stay and would stay again. I definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 13 nights in December 2011. 1st room was very small but kind of expected this from prior reviews. Too small for such a long stay. Management moved me to a larger single (still small but more than adequate) ASAP which was 4th night of stay, not terrible. Both rooms were very clean and beds comfortable. I agree with the reviews of the bathrooms, they are very small and hard to maneuver but again, very clean and adequate for the price you are paying (I think I was paying about 80 pounds).

I had wireless card/dongle (who in UK came up with that name for a wireless card?!) so can't comment on wireless service. I am not a big breakfast person but the 3 mornings I did go down seemed reasonable. One guest mentioned there was no fresh fruit which I guess would be nice.

Manager was friendly and very helpful. All other front desk personnel were very nice and polite and went out of their way for a few requests i had but not very knowledgable about the area compared to manager.

Extremely close to Paddington so many tube lines very close so able to get around easily in all directions. Lots of buses run through the are too.

But, I was on business and only stayed in this area as the client I was visiting was two tube stops and short 15 minute walk away. If you are on business and clients are in City or Canary Wharf, you could stay here if willing to deal with a 30 minute tube ride and if $ is a factor, I could see doing it. I moved after 13 nights to City Hotel which you can also get inexpensively normally and more convenient for visiting my City and Canary Wharf clients.

Plenty of restaurants reasonably priced in area or short walk to many other areas.

I do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011
Yverdon-les-Bains, Vaud, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

is a good hotel, well located, 5 minutes from Hyde Park, a little more up to Paddington station.
poreém there are some minor repairs, as some antipathy on the part of an employee. Breakfast was worth it not be the traditional English, ground floor rooms are a bit noisy due to the reception is over and soon also hear the meter which makes it convenient little rest.
but I advise you to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ypsilanti, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

What a nice find!! It was VERY close to Paddington Station as well as the Paddington underground Station. It was very close to Hyde Park as well. There are MANY restaurants nearby, so you will find something new everyday of your stay. The hotel staff was friendly and courteous and helpful with directions. The breakfast left a lot to be desired though.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room....it's quieter.