“Our first stop in London” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ray's Jazz Cafe (in Foyles)

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ray's Jazz Cafe (in Foyles)
113-119 Charing Cross Road, London, England
+44 20 7437 5660 ‎
Improve this listing
Ranked #3,918 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: Vegan
Aiken
“Our first stop in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had to go to Foyles bookstore. As one of us took way more time than the rest of us, we of course gravitated to the cafe. There were many bottled drinks that were interesting and the teas were good. The scone with clotted creme was stale but everything else was good. Quiet spot where I could have stayed all afternoon.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

92% Recommend
London
“Busy, noisey and the low standards we enjoy in London”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited the cafe to meet up with my sister. The staff were helpful and really friendly and made me feel at ease entering such a busy and noisey enviroment. People stay for hours on one coffee and people come in in groups and take tables before ordering so it's hard to get a seat. I enjoyed a nice ham & cheese toastie with a side portion of delicious cous cous. However, my sister paid a ridiculous sum for a slice of walnut & coffee cake which was stale. The toilets stank of vomit and were filthy. The music was good but very loud, no live band just a CD playing so it's hard to chat and it's certainly not a spot for contemplation or literary discussion. It's rather odd there is not a quiet cafe or reading room type of environment in this bookstore where you can buy or bring a book and have a good read over a cuppa and some fresh cake.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Moscow, Russia
“My favorite London cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I love this cafe. Located in the Foyel's Bookstore, it has very cozy atmosphere, tasty soups, sandwiches and cakes, welcoming hosts. My laptop and I are frequent guest every time I'm in London :D

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great cafe stop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We called in here as we were looking for somewhere to have a coffee and I'm always able to waste time looking around books. This little cafe was a great surprise and I'm really glad that we found it. The lunches, cakes and coffee were all brilliant and it was great to find out it was suitable for Vegans as well.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Deal, United Kingdom
“The Best in the West End.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Ray's Jazz Cafe is without doubt my favorite cafe in the West End of London. It's not just because the coffee is strong and inexpensive and the food wholesome and creative, it's the atmosphere. I've met friends in there, had the odd business meeting, sat and read a book and occasionally played cards. You'll see people on their laptops, writing (some still do), reading scripts, chatting or just gazing down on Charring Cross Road from the bar stools that line the windows. The staff are friendly and helpful and it's in the best bookshop, which is a bonus. You are encouraged to share tables and nobody seems to mind. Oh and of course, there's often some great music playing unobtrusively. What more could you ask for?

• Visited May 2013