“NEVER AGAIN - AND DEFINITELY NOT FOR LONE FEMALES” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Somerset Hotel

You added Somerset Hotel to your Saves list
Somerset Hotel
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   6 Dorset Square | Gloucester Place, London NW1 6QA, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #361 of 534 London B&B and Inns
GLASGOW
“NEVER AGAIN - AND DEFINITELY NOT FOR LONE FEMALES”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The total lack of security at this hotel was worrying - had I been alone, I would NOT have bothered staying - unlocked front door to the hotel - unmanned reception- our room was on the ground floor with worksman's ladder leaning up against our windows - internally pane of glass missing from one of the large windows - no curtains - slatted blinds had to be manually turned to give us privacy from busy main street outside - we felt so unsafe that we slept wt chair against the door...never again!

Room Tip: avoid ground floor - to improve your feeling of security and the noise outside
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel was simply a room to sleep in, that's all. My family and I stayed out as long as possible to avoid coming back as we found the room had a funny smell. The bathroom was almost unbearable due to this stench, the toilet was simply disgusting. Continental breakfast included stale cereal, tinned fruit, yoghurt which was simply in a bowl without cooling, and toast (the safest option, except the toaster occasionally burnt the toast). The good thing about this hotel was its location, however even with the location I wouldn't recommend staying longer than a couple of nights, if at all, I stayed 2 and don't think I would have been able to stay another.

Stayed January 2015
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2014

I woke up with over 30 bed bug bites all over my arms and neck. Would stay away at all costs! Location is not bad.
The single room was really small.
Bathroom was a bit scary & the shower didn't drain properly.
Free wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel on Saturday night with my friend for a theatre weekend. First of all,the hotel is in an excellent location,about 3 minutes on foot from Baker St tube station. The area is very affluent with beautiful apartments and quirky shops and eateries. And there ends the good points.
We arrived at the hotel mid afternoon and from the outside looked quite promising. On entering the reception, the first thing you notice is how shabby and dark it looks. There was no one at reception and we had to ring a bell and wait. In fairness, the manager appeared quite quickly and was friendly enough. We were given room 104 on the ground floor. Now we weren't expecting too much as it was advertised as a 2 star bed and breakfast and we had only paid 90pound for the night which is a great rate for London on a Saturday, but the room we were given looked like a dingy bedsit. On entering you can't help but notice a fusty smell. The carpets are worn and tatty,there are 2 chairs,a TV and table in the living area,the chairs were stained and the TV is 10pound a night pay as you go. There is a large sash window,of which one panel is cracked,with a single dark brown curtain which doesn't reach right across. The bathroom is off to the right, nicely tiled but obviously done very cheaply. The shower was nice and hot but you could only just have a full body wash in it,it was so small. The toilet needed a good bleach, there is no where to hang the loo roll and no where to put your toiletries. Now the bedroom. We had a triple room, one single bed one double. Nice clean sheets, and towels and a complimentary chocolate. The wall light was broken, there is no where to hang clothes as there is no wardrobe. The large window again cracked,and the horrible brown curtain up to the window. The view is a very unattractive back yard with a massive air on unit to look at. It was very,very hot in the room,we had to turn the radiator off,however the other rooms were freezing,there is a door in the bathroom with a massive gap underneath it which letting in the cold,and it was so cold to have a shower in it. There is only one plug point in the bedroom near the window, so we had to take it in turns to plug in our phones,hair dryers etc. The beds were quite comfy,but could have done with more pillows. Breakfast was very basic. Choice of 3 cereals,which tasted quite stale. Toast,very thin and fruit which is tinned and yoghurt. Tea and coffee is by machine and again tasted very cheap. The hotel looks like a work in progress, however does not look like it is being done to a high standard, which is a pity as it has so much potential. I would definatly not recommend room 104, it's not the kind of room you would want to spend any time in, I even had a bad allergy in the night which was either dust or cats,both of which I saw during my stay. All in all, not a bad stay for a short night as we were out most of the night anyway, however, we could not wait to get up and leave the next morning. would not stay here again, but would definatly stay in this area it's lovely.

Room Tip: Avoid room 104 at all costs.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
San Fior di Sopra, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2014

Very simple hotel, has good potential from what I could see in terms of interiors. The walls are very nice and it has that old fashioned look that is interesting.
Rooms on the second floor not too bad , if you are family of 4 like we were , we had a nice room , big enough for all of us.
Rooms on the 4th floor ...hmmmm let me wait and see after next year refurbishment that should take place. There was a gap under the room door that you could fit a shoes ...but ehy...you should ask the right question : Do I want a cheap but nice place to sleep at night, close to a well serviced tube station ? if the answer is YES than this hotel is perfect. Few minutes and you are at Baker Street Station.
Positive note is the staff , very friendly people in the reception that helped us a lot with many information and advises.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms in the 2nd floor
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2014

As the price is reasonable and location desirable, I didn't expect too much more. The staff was helpful with tips and the room OK.

The breakfast is very modest. Crumbs in the toaster caused a fire alarm in the whole hotel. Good to know that the alarm system worked. Although I wasn't too pleased that the fire doors at the hallways were always open.

Be prepared to climb narrow stairs with your luggage.

Room Tip: If you don't like climbing, get one from the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on Saturday night in a single room. After I had booked the room I looked on trip adviser and saw all the adverse comments so I wasn't expecting a very good experience. They say you get what you pay for, well I was pleasantly surprised to find a small, but very clean room that was more than adequate for my stay. No noise and a very nice continental breakfast. I would stay again when next in London.

Room Tip: I found room 312 more than adequate.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Somerset Hotel? Share your experiences!