“Great Little B & B” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 541 London B&B and Inns
Denver, North Carolina
“Great Little B & B”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Number 63 is more of a B & B than a hotel. I have stayed there at least 5 times - alone and also with my husband - it has been updated quite a bit since my first stay. The breakfast area is new and fresh and one can make their own coffee from freshly ground beans. The single rooms are small but have everything one needs. I usually ask for a room over looking Kensington Park. The front desk is always incredibly nice. The comment about the tap being too hot has to do with not knowing how to adjust the temp - all one had to do was ask how it worked - there is a separate dial in the middle of the shut off valve. I can't imagine how few nights in London would require AC but some rooms do offer it - just ask. The reception area which over looks the park has a small bar and is a delightful place to sit after a busy day.

Room Tip: Great views over the park but be mindful it also faces a busy street. I love the street noice but o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Belfast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

My room was poor - decent size and reasonably quiet (at the back) but had a leaking tap, the shower temperature (too hot) did not adjust and a broken sash cord meant that I couldn't open the window for ventilation on a stuffy night. Breakfast was ok but served by a rather surly woman.

Maybe I was just unlucky with the room I was allocated but they need to maintain the place properly and unless/until they do I won't be back..

Reception isn't manned until 08.30 so if you're checking out before then you have to do it the night before.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are really quiet.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Tyne & Wear
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've stayed at 63 many times over the years, in single, twin and family rooms. It's in an excellent position, just accross the street from Hyde park and only a couple of minutes walk from Lancaster Gate underground station.
The staff are always friendly, there's a good choice for breakfast. The hotel has a homely, genteel feel to it and feels very safe.
I would recommend staying at Number 63

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Pros: As previous reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is in a quiet area across from Hyde park and close to the tube. Stayed in a small but nice and well kept room on 3rd floor with a great view of the park. Rooms have tea, tv, and the showers are hot. This hotel also felt quite safe. Prices were good and breakfast was included.

Cons: We booked on-line through booking.com and received confirmation. It was not until after we had checked-in that we were told we would have to be moved to two separate rooms for the last night and that the hotel had chosen not to inform us. Not the worst situation, but the front desk really didn't care and were not of much help for anything during our stay. The elevator was also under renovation/ out of service while we were there, which was noisy and could have been a problem for older guests. The single rooms at the back of the hotel were extremely small with no view, and I would not recommend them.

Overall, I would stay in this hotel again as it was safe, clean and economical. I just might look at other options first.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Jerusalem, israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

It is a small pleasant house, just across the street form Kensington Gardens. Staff is very helpful adn attnetive, rooms are quite modest but very clean and functional - there is everything needed. Breakfast is served in a typical English room and is nice. Great price.

On the negative side - not every room has air condition and there is no safe deposit box, either in the room or int he reception.

Wiill stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Number 63 is located right on beautiful Hyde park and is only 50 metres from lancatster gate tube station so it was a great base for our holiday in London . We had a twin room which was at the back of the hotel with a rather unsightly view of a brick wall and stairwell . However the room was very clean and more importantly -very quiet as it was away from the road noise. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the hotel had a very peacful atmosphere. The newly refurbished breakfast room was charming and served a great breakfast and the staff were very attentive. All in all an excellent deal in busy, expensive London. Would stay there again .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
shropshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This review is based solely on the service and communications aspect of Number 63.

Booked the hotel via Booking.com back in April, 2 twin rooms for 2 nights, for 4 people, 12th & 13th July for the Rolling Stones in Hyde Park. I made sure to book early to ensure getting rooms at a good rate and near to Hyde Park on this very busy weekend. Received immediate booking confirmation from Booking.com.

On the morning of check-in I phoned the hotel to reconfirm and advise arrival times only to be told that they had us booked in for 1 twin room only and of course were now fully booked.

The staff member who I spoke to had an attitude of “ not my problem” and was more concerned with deflecting any responsibility for the mistake then in helping me find a resolution. She blamed Booking.com, but they say their system is automated and the hotel would have received the same info as myself. This sounds logical to me, but who knows. When I asked what she was going to do to try and help us, she said she would try to find us accommodation elsewhere. However, I did not hear back from her until mid-afternoon by which time we were en-route to alternative accommodation that Booking.com had found for us..thank goodness…and even then she had only called to ask if I wanted to cancel the 1 room they had for us and added that I should have booked direct with the hotel as I would have got a better rate and wouldn’t have this problem.

Booking.com found us what were probably the last 2 twin rooms available anywhere near Hyde Park, in a hotel that I wouldn’t, under other circumstances , have chosen to stay in. It was more expensive and it has very poor reviews on TA, but at least we didn’t have to sleep on a park bench!

Whilst I realize that mistakes happen, this was a very stressful situation and I feel that the hotel’s representative could have handled the situation more sensitively and been more helpful.

I will not be booking this hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends