“Beautiful Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ampersand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Ampersand Hotel to your Saves list
The Ampersand Hotel
10 Harrington Road, London SW7 3ER, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #25 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you would like to stay in a very unique hotel in An accessible part of London where there are friendly staff ,good food and comfortable beds,then go to the Ampersand.
It is very close to the South Kensington tube,museums and numerous good restaurants.The decor is most unusual ,with relaxing public rooms and comfortable but compact bedrooms with little extras like free soft drinks and robes and slippers.U have eaten in the restaurant downstairs,good tapas style food,regular price for London,great restaurant staff.All in all a little gem.Oh and do try the cakes and coffee in the drawing room!

Room Tip: An upgrade would be good,standard rooms small but excellent.Worth asking..as some of the rooms are f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just got home after a weekend in London and a three night stay at the wonderful Ampersand Hotel in South Kensington. Wow, we loved it! I umm-ed and ahh-ed over booking it about a month ago because of the price (nowhere near unreasonable, but expensive for a young couple) and eventually decided to go for it as a special treat for a special weekend - we were there for a wedding. It did not disappoint. We arrived very early on Friday morning into London City Airport and it was an easy journey by DLR and then district line and once off the tube at South Kensington a 30 second stroll across the road. Check in is 2pm but the helpful and very friendly staff looked after our bags and we went downstairs for breakfast at Apero then out for the day. The breakfast menu is fantastic and extensive. Our room (a deluxe studio on the 3rd floor) was beautiful and spacious - I had read that rooms were on the small side but we weren't disappointed. It was beautifully decorated and clean and had the comfiest bed I've ever slept in! We could hear the hum of the traffic outside but this wasn't a problem for us as we live in a sleepy ski resort in Switzerland and relish city life now and again! I believe the rooms are soundproofed anyway. Also the tube vibrated slightly up through the floors but this was exciting, although that may sound strange!!! I imagine on a lower floor it could be louder and more disruptive. We were blown away by the TileVision TV in the shower and the little extras go a long way - free soft drinks in the mini bar, a Nespresso machine (yes, really!) including fresh milk topped up each day. Even a little rubber duck as a gift, or so we assumed as we have brought it back with us!
I was confused by the high tech door lock and wasn't sure if I had pressed no to the cleaning service. By 5pm my room hadn't been cleaned but I explained my mistake and asked reception if it could be and a cleaner was in there within 20 minutes. There was even a turn down service - small touches which make all the difference.
We ate in Apero on our first night and were served by a delightful and informative waiter and the meal was fantastic. I've heard the afternoon tea in the drawing rooms is a must but we didn't manage it this time so I look forward to our next visit. Despite the price we had a wonderful stay and definitely won't be staying anywhere else the next time we are in London. We checked out very reluctantly on Monday morning... Thank you Ampersand for a fantastic weekend.

Room Tip: It is worth paying a little more for a Deluxe Studio room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The location is very convenient right next to South Kensington station and the museum district. The hotel is new, clean and quite stylish. We liked the room decor - which helped since it had a view of adjacent wall. There were many little extras that made the room even better, like free soft drinks, heated floors, nice toiletries and a rubber duckie.
The service was good, very helpful with suggestion and recommendations. There was a small glitch when our room was not ready when promised (or they didn't call us as promised - the outcome is the same). If not for that I would have given it 5 stars.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, Calif
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

My old standby, Aster House, was full so I opted for the fairly new Ampersand hotel nearby. Small reception area but very friendy, professional, and welcoming staff, all neatly groomed and most -- surprisingly -- quite young. Got upgraded which was nice. Room was very spacious, faced the front street (but sound-proofed by the windows) and high tech -- took me a while to figure out some of the switches but that was a fun challenge. The air-conditioning is a plus during the summer heat especially because it was too noisy below to open the window much of the time. And the TV in the bathroom was an unexpected plus. Didnt sample the breakfast as there are too many good eateries nearby, including Paul Bakery at the South Kensington Tube stop a block away. Overall, a quality etsablishment with great service. I'll definitely return here in the future (but dont tell Leonie at Aster House I said so!).

Room Tip: I am a light sleeper and asked them to put me on the side of the building because of my fear of stre...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Registration personnel made our experience in London easy. Directions and recommendations were spot on! Fantastic location to the tube without the noise. The restaurant down stairs was accommodating to my wife's vegetarian diet, serving a 5 star menu with a friendly hospitality. The owner was onsite and attentive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
derby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

This is my third stay at The Ampersand Hotel and it just keeps getting better. It is situated ust across from South Kensington tube station - an ideal location if you're visiting places like the Natural History Museum, V&A, Royal Albert Hall, Hyde Park & Harrods - all within walking distance! The rooms are so stylish with lots of lovely little extras - robes, slippers, lovely toiletries, free soft drinks, rubber duck in the shower to take home - cute! The bathroom is really spacious too, with a large shower and under floor heating which was fab. We also booked afternoon tea which I cannot recommend highly enough, Ji Sun the pastry chef is incredibly talented - you MUST book in for this if you stay here...it's worth every penny and is perfect for a special occasion! All the staff are so helpful and really make you feel welcome - can't wait for my next stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I booked this hotel for somewhere special to stay on the last night of a 3 week trip and was relieved to find it was absolutely lovely. The staff were fantastic and the air-conditioning was a welcome relief from a couple of hotel stays without it. It was a wonderfully unique hotel with high tech gadgets and great decor. The bed was comfortable and bathroom was lovely. I also appreciated the fridge with free water, softdrink and juice. If I was to get picky the light switches were a bit confusing, the room a bit small and the cupboard was only half length so I couldn't really hang my dress up. That was more than made up for with the wonderful bar, great location near South Kensington tube (on Picadilly line for those coming from Heathrow) and museums like the V&A and excellent staff though. I would definitely return and recommend it to others staying in London too.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Ampersand Hotel? Share your experiences!