“Excellent Location and Service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ampersand Hotel

You added The Ampersand Hotel to your Saves list
The Ampersand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Harrington Road, London SW7 3ER, England (South Kensington)   |
Special Price
33% off room rate
Ranked #33 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Excellent Location and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This Hotel is amazing! I highly recommend it for a short business trip or a long stay if you're on vacation. The service is very good and a special shout out to Daniel who did an excellent job in assisting me during my stay. I will definitely be staying there again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in a deluxe studio for 3 nights - fabulous stay. The location is just fantastic, loads of cafes and restaurants on the doorstep, 5 mins walk to Hyde Park, Knightsbridge, 10 mins walk to Kings Road and ample choice of buses and tube station just nearby. Staff were all very helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble.

The rooms were all very clean, lovely bathroom and with the studio we had free Nespresso machine and soft drinks. Afternoon tea was far too tempting, and I have to rate very highly the cooked breakfast too!

If you can get a special offer (we had 3 nights for the price of 2), or can afford the rates then I totally recommend it. Otherwise it is expensive sadly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed at the Ampersand for 5 nights earlier this month and had a delightful stay! Our standard room was very small (and my fault - it is clearly explained on the website the size of the rooms and I did not realize quite how small the square footage was - I'll upgrade next time) but it was very clean and well appointed. We faced into the garden and were able to keep our window open every night - very refreshing! The bed was comfortable and I had the best sleep of our vacation while we stayed here. The hotel even provides umbrellas for the rainy London weather. The staff was very welcoming - we got there very late in the evening and room service made a special order for myself and my 9 year old and the food was wonderful and a bargain! the hotel's location to the South Kensington tube stop allowed us to have London accessible to us for our stay and we took full advantage of it. The neighborhood around the hotel is delightful and full of shops and restaurants. I will definitely stay here again when I next visit London. My only regret - I really wanted one of the Ampersand rubber ducks and completely forgot about it in the chaos of trying to get up early and make our train to Paris! Would have made a great London souvenir!

Room Tip: Worth it to upgrade - ask for a room that does not face the street so you can open the window!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We arrived on a Wednesday and thought we’d found the hotel of our dreams in London! Conveniently located near South Kensington station, we found the Ampersaud Hotel very pleasant with large, well decorated rooms and we just loved the heated bathroom floors!

From the front desk staff to the Doormen, all were wonderful, efficient and pleasant. We do offer a special call-out to the tall lady with short dark hair at the front desk. She handled a difficult situation so smoothly that the irritable guests could only smile and think their every wish had been answered!

The staff are dressed in their uniform of jeans, white shirt and black vest. It lended a casual, yet sophisticated air to the hotel. The art was fun and made you smile while every staff member, from housekeeping to the managers, made a point to stop and say hello, asking if they could help with anything. They made you feel welcome and wanted.

The business centre downstairs was convenient and always had a computer available. The library was compact but efficient and the playroom lots of fun! The main floor tea room was convenient and the restaurant a good average meal and handy to have downstairs.

We must say the Ampersaud is a wonderful hotel Sunday to Thursday but beware that everything changes Friday and Saturday when the Bar across the street is open – IT IS LOUD! I didn’t sleep at all Friday night and thank goodness we left Saturday morning.

This hotel is almost perfect through the week but stay at your own risk when the neighboring bar is open on weekends.

Room Tip: See main review - all rooms are great except Friday and Saturday. I don't think you can run fro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed six nights at the Ampersand hotel in the summer. It was a most enjoyable stay. Just as good, if not better, than the Langham in Hong Kong. The staff were very nice, and even offered to call restaurants which I had made reservations at in order to get a better time. The rooms were excellent and very clean. Location is literally a minute walk from South Kensington station, which is brilliant.

My only (minor) complaint was that the Air Conditioning was a bit strange. On some days which were particularly warm, I turned the temperature down but it still felt rather warm and stuffy. I had to open the windows to get the cool air to come in, but this made it slightly noisier. Still, a minor issue, and I might have just not known how to work the a/c.

Highly recommended to anyone staying in London.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the "Buy two nights, get one free offer" - provides good value
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed in a Deluxe Studio and added a rollaway bed. Room was extremely comfortable for 3 adults. Bathroom was luxurious. Great location. Only steps from So. Kensington Tube Stop and lots of charming restaurants/neighborhoods. Staff was extremely helpful and courteous. Downstairs restaurant was charming and a great spot for breakfast. Would definitely come back here!!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We were charmed by The Ampersand's website, and it was even better in person. Fabulous decor - I could have moved right in. Attentive service from the friendly and incredibly competent staff, before, during and after our visit. A delightful oasis in the middle of a hip urban setting. Don't miss tea in the Drawing Room!

Stayed June 2013

Been to The Ampersand Hotel? Share your experiences!