“Fab London Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ampersand Hotel

You added The Ampersand Hotel to your Saves list
The Ampersand Hotel
10 Harrington Road, London SW7 3ER, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #31 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Fab London Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We spent 5 perfect nights at the Ampersand in March 2013. We absolutely loved the hotel, gorgeous design, efficient layout and impeccable staff. The café and the Drawing Rooms were perfect for quick meals and afternoon tea. It is wonderfully located in South Kensington just by the Tube Station, so exploring all of London is easy. We absolutely will be returning on our next trip to London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Kerry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a great hotel; great service - not fussy but always attentive and nothing too much trouble; great location - near South Kensington Tube (35 mins to Heathrow), lots of restaurants nearby, and three World class museums; beautiful design and newly refurbished and oh so comfortable!

We will be back!

• Stayed March 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I used to stay frequently at the Grosvenor Hotel because of its proximity to the museums and South Ken tube station. The staff were helpful and attentive but the decor had seen better decades. I looked forward to staying in the new Ampersand following renovations. The similarities are only two: the address and a staff that is even more welcoming and helpful. The new decor is clean and modern. The furnishings are beautiful and the comfort of the bed matches exceeds any hotel I have ever stayed in. My experience which was in December could not have been better and I have a new favorite hotel in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chappaqua, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My 22 year old daughter and I just returned from London and a 5 night stay in the double superior room at the &. We loved the design of this new artsy, well-appointed and luxurious hotel. Our room at the & was a good size and very quiet; the bathroom was spacious with everything we needed. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful throughout our stay. Breakfast was delicious. The hotel is very close to the South Kensington station and we used the underground easily to go to all points around London. The hotel is in walking distance of two great museums (The Natural History and Victoria and Albert - great fashion and jewelry exhibits), and to delicious Ben's Cookies and nice local eateries. We could not have asked for more from this wonderful stay at the &. A memorable time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Arrived New Year's Day early am, which made me nervous and I had emailed the hotel prior requesting early check in due to our early flight arrival. I was told there would be no guarantee but hoping for the best.

Upon arriving, at about 10:30am, we were told the room was not yet ready and it was vacant but needed to be cleaned and would be ready at noon for check in (which is their check in time). We stayed in the lobby and crashed on the couch. After us, I noticed another couple waiting too. At noon, I went to the front desk and was told the room was not ready. I could not understand why when it was just due a cleaning, Certainly an hour and a half is enough time. Obviously this wasn't the case - at that time I would have expected them to offer us a snack or drink in the restaurant where we went to eat in the hotel to kill time for another 45 minutes, but that was not the case. Once checked in i was not going to let this bother me but share my experience for future bookers.

We had a Jr Suite which was very spacious, corner unit. Heated floors in the bathroom were a plus with the 30 degree weather. Bed was good, sheets & towels good quality too. The not so good was the thinness of the walls and the noise. You could hear people when they were walking above & the floor made alot of creaking noises. Windows didn't seem very isolated either.

Lobby had great area for tea, champagne and goodies - this was a plus.

Considering all, I would book again as long as it was on promotion (as we booked on promo). I think rate was about $420 in US dollars, which was high for what we got but understand London is very costly and our dollar is worth less.

Room Tip: Highest floor possible - thin walls & windows, you can hear alot
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stop browsing, start booking.

I spend 30-50 nights/year in hotels, and can confidently say that The Ampersand is one of the best hotels I've ever experienced.

I used to live in Kensington (lucky me) and was looking to stay in the area on a recent business trip to London. Ampersand was within my budget (about $250 over the weekend) and stylish. I like the staff's vest (or waistcoat as the Brits call them), tie and jeans look so much that I may adopt it as my own personal style.

Only complaint would be the lack of clothing storage space, but I had a small (ie: cheap) room and I'm guessing the bigger rooms might have more space. This issue is also fairly commonplace in London.

Location is perfect for exploring the museums, Hyde Park, Royal Albert Hall, Kensington and Chelsea, as well as being reasonably close to Westminster and Notting Hill as well.

London's best Spanish restaurant, Casa Brindisa, is right around the corner. Make reservations. There are unfortunately no truly good pubs in the immediate area (the Hoop & Toy is garbage), but the Anglesea Arms is a 10 minute walk away and is as Kensington as it gets. For another nice walk try to seek out Kynance Mews, which might be the most charming little street in London.

Room Tip: If you don't need space, get the cheap rooms. If you do need space, don't get the cheap room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My mother, sister and I stayed at the Ampersand Hotel in South Kensington in February. We loved it!! The Hotel is in a great location,with gorgeous cafes, eateries,and museums at your feet. The Ampersand also has a gorgeous tea room and restaurant within the hotel .

The hotel is lovely, beautiful interiors and fabulous staff who were very helpful! I would definitely recommend staying at this place for anyone who likes a little luxury at an affordable price.

I will definitely be back there each time I'm in London !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Ampersand Hotel? Share your experiences!