“Hmmmmm” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Ampersand Hotel

You added The Ampersand Hotel to your Saves list
The Ampersand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Harrington Road, London SW7 3ER, England (South Kensington)   |
Special Price
33% off room rate
Ranked #33 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Hmmmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to love this place, but the service was terrible. I will finish on positives so will get the negatives done with first. I was in room 408 a deluxe double and the place shook and rumbled EVERY time a train went by, but the worst part was service, I hung my breakfast order out before bed to be delivered at ten. Ten am came and went and so did 10.15, at which point I dialled room service. No answer, I have up at11 am and checked out after 4 attempts to call down to room service. Other than those points the hotel is very nicely decorated deluxe double was fairly spacious brand new and comfy restfull(once trains stop) bed. Won't be back though...

• Stayed January 2013
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay. Please accept my apologies for the service you received on the morning of your departure. This is not the usual high standard of service we normally provide to our guests and I am disappointed you were let down.
I have looked into the issues you have raised to understand where we need to improve to ensure this is not repeated in the future.
Due to the proximity to South Kensington underground we have some rooms which are slighted affected by noise from the underground the majority of the bedrooms in the hotel are not.

I hope you will allow us an opportunity in the future to restore your faith in us and the service we provide.

Roberto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Have been here for 1 night. Wish I could have stayed longer. Perfectly located (1 minute to tube station South Kensington), great Service (friendly, helpful), very clean rooms (but this in general as well), modern design. On top very good breakfast in a nice restaurant...... Just go there and try

Stayed January 2013
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for recommending The Ampersand Hotel.
I am glad you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for his birthday last week. It was perfect: great design, big room with wonderful amenities (including a TV in the shower!), and--most importantly--a very responsive, friendly staff. Their attention to detail as well as the pride they take in their work really showed. This is the way hospitality should be done. The hotel has a fun restaurant and a drawing room for afternoon tea, and it is located super close to the South Kensington tube station. It was super hard for us to leave!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the amazing review of The Ampersand Hotel. It is a pleasure for the whole team to get such compliments. The design and feel of the hotel is very important but we feel strongly in providing individual, thoughtful service to all of our guests.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Kins regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The location of this boutique hotel in South Kensington is fantastic. About a minute away from South Kensington tube and within easy walking distance of lovely shops, cafes and restaurants in the area. Also easy walking distance to the museums.

The lobby and public areas are very attractive and, if we return, I would definitely like to try afternoon tea in the lounge. I saw some other guests enjoying it and it looked very tasty indeed!

Our room (Deluxe) was lovely, though a little on the small side and while we liked the room we felt a tiny bit cramped. The bed itself was really big and comfy and we both slept very well indeed so big thumbs up for that! The decor is lovely too. The room had a subtle ornithological theme. The bathroom felt spacious and the Miller Harris goodies were stocked up on the second day which was a nice touch.

The mini bar had water, coke and juices which were free of charge, another nice touch.

Overall this was a really, really nice place to stay. We both like the area a lot and it was great to find somewhere that was chic yet comfy and didn't cost the earth. We'd definitely go back again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Deluxe room and it was lovely but not overly spacious. I think we would have felt ra...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay at The Ampersand Hotel.
All of the rooms have a different theme which are inspired by the amazing culture we are surrounded by. Due to the nataure of the building the rooms with a room type to vary slightly from room to room.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stow-on-the-Wold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is still new after opening in September 2012 and you can tell. It looks as clean as a new pin and smells fresh and new.

All staff I encountered were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. When my Mum and I came down in the evening to go out, the receptionist asked if she could call us a cab. I booked through secret escapes and my ‘package’ came with a complimentary glass of champagne. I don’t drink champagne and so asked if I could swap it for a cocktail instead. This was done with no bother at all.

The minibar which was included in the price was very well stocked and greatly appreciated.

I stayed in the superior suite. The bed was extremely comfortable. The room was a bit smaller than I would have expected for a superior suite but this isn’t a criticism, just an observation!
Breakfast was lovely. I had paid for just continental. I could have upgraded for £10 and the cooked breakfast menu was vast. The continental breakfast although quite small was delicious.

The hotel is just a stone’s throw away from South Kensington underground which was really good when I arrived seeing as I had a large case! On the way home I had bought too much to get the underground back to Paddington Station so got a cab. This was reasonably priced at £10.20.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
It always gives me great pleasure to read such lovely feedback about The Ampersand Hotel and the friendly service the entire team provided. Thank you for posting such a positive review of your stay as it is very fulfilling to know you had a memorable stay.
I look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit London.

Tracey
Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wonderful gem of a hotel. We're treated like VIPs despite a booking confusion. Would love to stay again this year. Very clean, food great and attentive staff. Taxis always at the door although walking everywhere is good for us

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Oxford UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

we stayed here for a night in January '13 and loved it. The staff were friendly and engaging, and the decor is funky with lots of quirky features and clever touches. Check out the collage in the basement and the cabinet of curiosities in the restaurant.

The rooms are cozy and what they lack in space they make up for in decor...all cleverly themed, really good bedding and high quality bathroom accessories, intelligent books and magazines to browse through.

The only niggle was the room was very warm when we arrived and we had to open the windows to cool it down.

Room Tip: higher floors get you away from the road noise which is audible when windows are open.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give such great comments about your stay at The Ampersand Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated the little touches. The artwork in the hotel is a collection of works put together to reflect the area and also the Victorian period in which the hotel was originally built.
The whole team take great pride in the hotel and above all the service they offer to each and every guest. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Many thanks
Roberto

Been to The Ampersand Hotel? Share your experiences!