The Ampersand made our first-time London experience very enjoyable and we would definitely return if this standard is maintained.
1. Location - Steps from South Kensington station which has 3 different lines so we were able to reach all the desirable places (Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, The Tower of London, Eurostar station, Harrods, ect.) on one of the lines without the hassle of changing lines. There also is a lovely little square with numerous places to eat when you exit the station.
2. Staff & Service - Very friendly and accommodating and we felt very welcomed every time we returned from a day out. They were very nice about accommodating an early check-in as my husband was not feeling well upon arrival. We were also not disturbed at all by housekeeping during our 3 night stay with our do not disturb sign. We tended to leave our room around noon after sleeping in and the room was always made-up upon return in the evening.
3. Decor - Clean, spacious, and beautiful interior/colors. We had the deluxe studio and the room was spacious with seating arrangements and a nice-sized bathroom with tub and shower. The shower had a lovely rainfall showerhead. The Miller Harris amenities was also a nice touch.
Another thing that worked for me was the fact that I was able to open the windows to air out the room. The room smelled nice but I'm quirky about being able to open windows so it was a huge plus for me.
4. Free Wifi and Computer/Printer Area and Library with ping-pong table and book selections - Had no trouble with wifi for both our phones and laptop in the room.
5. Complimentary drinks in the fridge that are restocked daily.
Cons: Not that many and nothing major honestly.
1. Slight rumbling from the underground tube during early hours but not very noticeable unless you are highly sensitive. My husband is on the sensitive side but he didn't have a problem at all.
2. Hotel Entrance - the entrance is merely a double door a few steps up from the sidewalk. We didn't know that it was the hotel at first as there is no driveway or doorman/bellboy outside. There is a friendly staff who is willing to help with luggage once inside though.
3. Closet space - There wasn't a lot of space to hang longer clothing such as coats and dresses in our room.
We have stayed at 3 different hotels that are part of the Small Luxury Hotel collection so far and this was our favorite. We didn't get to dine at the Apero but did have a cup of tea in the Drawing Room and it was simple yet tasty. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to my family/friends visiting London if they are looking into luxury boutique hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With some of the most stylish hotel rooms in Kensington, The Ampersand is a privately-owned luxury London hotel that combines contemporary excellence in design, service, food and technology in an 1888 building at the capital's heart. We have been inspired by those great Victorian values of discovery and wonder - and given them a modern, whimsical twist. The result: a cosmopolitan, 111-room luxury boutique hotel, bar, restaurant and drawing rooms, delivering 21st-century warmth, humour and total comfort.The Ampersand Hotel is situated just a minute's walk from South Kensington tube station, and is well connected to Heathrow airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Tablet Hotels, Cheap Tickets, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Splendia, Travelocity, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, MrandMrsSmith, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Jetsetter so you can book your The Ampersand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ampersand Hotel London, England