I stayed with two friends at Apollo Hotel in April 2012. I have generally low standards for hotels (as long as they're clean) so I was very pleased with our stay. After reading the other reviews for this hotel, I thought I should emphasize the following points:
1. Location -- If you're taking a train to/from St. Pancras and do not relish dragging your suitcases for a long time, you should stay at any of the B&Bs on Argyle Street (including Apollo) -- we noticed that there were quite a few of them. Most buses in London stop at Kings Cross, so this is a big, big plus -- and there's a bonus of Kings Cross being a Tube stop. We never ran out of places to buy food or change our money.
2. Price -- This place came cheap, and it does have free wi-fi in the room and around the hotel. The breakfast added to the value of the place.
3. Breakfast -- We stuffed ourselves with their big English breakfast, bread, fruit, coffee or juice. It was absolutely marvelous -- home-cooked and comforting.
4. Cleanliness -- Our room was cleaned regularly, and the stuff that we threw around in a panic in the morning somehow got tidied in the course of the day. None of our things were lost, too, so that deserves some recognition.
Feedback on our room -- It was quiet on the first floor (we were at the quadruple room above the ground floor). Basic interiors; had linens, pillows and towels, a radiator, its own bathroom (very small but clean). Very basic toiletries -- shampoo, conditioner, soap and dental kits.
The Not So Good
1. Stairs -- I read in a review that there was a lift hidden somewhere. Never saw it, so I was lugging my heavy suitcase up and down the narrow stairs. I got a feeling I couldn't ask for help, and no one offered (see point 2 below).
2. Service -- It's not as bad -- I think the managers are just not the warm, chatty type, but they were all right. Although...
a. I was a bit stressed out that they never gave me a receipt for the price that I paid for the room. I mean, how do I prove payment, right? I paid in cash to avoid the surcharge that I keep reading about, but the downside of not paying by credit card is not having proof of payment. And it was for quite a lot of money (we stayed for five nights). When I asked for a receipt they said they would give it to me the next day (no idea why it couldn't be done on the spot). We were there for almost a week but they never issued it.
b. I was also stressed out when I was emailing them prior to the trip to ensure that our booking was confirmed. I ended up calling them from the Philippines and getting booking.com to intervene (to get some questions answered).
Would come back because I felt it was good value for money. Hope the place improves.
Get a room at a lower floor -- stairs are narrow and a pain to climb with a suitcase. Note that the...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.