“Excellent short stay, friendly staff....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Stylotel

Save Saved
You added Stylotel to your Saves list
Stylotel
160-162 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UD, England (Formerly Ruddimans Hotel) (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #465 of 1,073 hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent short stay, friendly staff....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Two of us stayed just one night, on a quick trip to take in a show. The hotel was a bargain on one of those last minute sites, and we snapped up the last room at half normal price. It was a small room, with a double-bed and a single for the two of us. Pod-style bathroom, was tiny but clean and functional. The breakfast, which was included, was great - lots of options. The stairs were a minor inconvenience with luggage, but we were assisted by staff. All the staff at the hotel were exceptional, good-humoured and extremely helpful - we were very impressed with the staff! We arrived early, and Stylotel was extremely accommodating - our room was already ready for us. The location was great, just a couple of minutes to Paddington metro station, and only 10 mins in a cab to the West End. I thought this hotel was excellent for the money, great for a short stay, and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was obviously for 3 people (double + single), which gave us a lot more space. If expense is...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

428 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

The room was clean, cheap, and the staff friendly, but the room itself was tiny, and the bathroom felt like it was from a channel ferry berth. There were no tea making facilities, or drinking water, and the bizarre future/industrial "styl" was very tired, and looked like it was from the set of Crystal Maze!

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This place is awful! Cheap and dirty! Upon check-in at 11 pm, I was asked if I wanted to pay 10 GBP more to upgrade because the Single room I had reserved was really very small. This right away annoyed me because I, like most people, don't like being nickeled and dimed especially late at night when very tired. Then, I had to pay for internet.

The room (I took the bigger one) was boiling hot. It was dirty and disgusting. Nasty calcium deposits on the faucet, mold on the bottom of the door, dirty marks and little holes in the sheets. It smelled yuck. So gross that I left without eating breakfast.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Let me start with the good. Paddington station is only a block away so it made getting around the city very easy. The room and public areas were very clean. Now the not so good. My favorite part of my stay was when I called down for an iron and ironing board. I was told that there was a "space" in front of the breakfast room where I could press my clothes. The "space" was actually the ironing board leaning against the wall at the entrance to the breakfast. I was pressing my clothes while people were walking into breakfast. The bed linens and towels were very old and stained. The Stylotel needs an injection of style.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 5th floor require you to climb narrow stairs from the 4th floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night before leaving London, the experience was very strange, room was very small and it made me feel like I was in a cabin or in a cruise ship room, toilet was very small and the shower was tiny. The guy at the reception was friendly and the hotel is very close to Paddington train station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Three of us (one child) stayed three nights in the apartments just across the road from the hotel (yes you do need to bring your bags up one flight of stairs to get to the lifts but a staff member brought ours over for us). If you are looking for a clean hotel with friendly staff, decent rooms (yes the toilet/shower room is small but one person fits in comfortably which is all that is required) a decent breakfast and for a reasonable price then this hotel fits the bill. Please note that the Sussex Arms, below the apartments no longer does food. The receptionist recommended "Ask" an Italian restaurant on Spring Street just around the corner which was very good and would suit families in particular. Paddington Underground is a fews mins walk. However, bear in mind that Lancaster Gate Underground towards Hyde Park is only a few mins further and might suit better depending on where you want to go. Kensington Palace open all year is about a 15 min walk through Hyde park and is well worth visiting

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

After an endless search of accommodation in London for a triple room, we opted for the Stylotel, Sussex Gardens, as the reviews were good and my 6 year old loved the whole look of the place. A pleasant greeting on arrival, and quickly went to find our room on the third floor. (Room 306). There is also a lift. You have an electronic card to open your door, and it also works the electric. We were very happy with our triple room. One single, and one double, with clean white sheets, and a pillow each. Room was very clean, with wooden floors, safe, hairdryer, open wardrobe with plenty of hangers, built in vanity/desk, and a clean, but small bathroom, which you step up into, with a pull around shower curtain. The bathroom is suitable for a few days stay, and not for very large people, but did the trick. I initially thought the bathroom was a cupboard, but soon found out it wasn't! If you are like my mother, and always want a coffee or tea, then there are free beverages downstairs in the modern lobby, but my mom took her own travel kettle! Breakfast was very good. We went down for 7.45am and were the first there. A selection for all: cereals, ham, eggs, toast, croissants, bacon, sausages, hash browns, tea, coffee, juice, baked beans. A help yourself buffet, all hot and fresh. Very good. Check out isn't until 12 noon, which makes a change. I would definately stay at the Stylotel again, as on our only night's stay we had to go back to the hotel room early with my son, who had developed chicken pox in 'Hamleys' of all places, so it was good to go back to a clean, warm, soundproof room, and make the best of a bad situation. Would definately recommend, especially if you want a hotel a bit out of the ordinary, as it is very modern, and bright, and very close to Paddington train station and underground, with plenty of eateries in the vicinty.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Stylotel? Share your experiences!