“Terrible, terrible, terrible.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #965 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Cambridgeshire
“Terrible, terrible, terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

On a list of the worst hotels we have stayed in over the years, this one comes in at second place. (The winner was Hotel Sud Bahia, Agadir, Morocco). From the moment we walked through the front door and were greeted with total lack of interest by the receptionist I knew we were in for a treat. After eventually finding our booking we were handed the key cards and the room number scribbled on a piece of paper along with vague directions on where the room was to be found. We headed off in the direction indicated, waited whilst a 'workman' rehung a door, stepped over a carpet fitter (I think). We found our room (44) tucked away in a corner. The room was big enough for a sagging double bed on a metal camp like base, a wardrobe with the TV screwed to it's side, a bedside set of drawers and a desk with kettle and tea making facilities. The carpet covered what felt like holes in the floor. The radiators didn't work but at least a portable heater had been provided. The bathroom was freezing cold (radiator not working), damp with constant condensation, pools of water everywhere, the toilet was not bolted to the floor. The bath was not cleaned on our 2nd day and no hand towels or floor towel left. There was no blind over the bathroom window which opened onto the main road so any passers by could have got an eyefull! No hot water in the sink and only in the shower after running it for 10 minutes and then only getting 2 minutes worth. We informed the reception of the lack of hot water prior to our departure to be asked had we told reception, to which I replied, I didn't think it mattered as I am sure nothing could be done about it! A man turned up just before we checked out to say the boilet had been checked and was ok, He advised we leave the taps running for a couple of minutes, to which I replied, we had, ten, and then no hot water for 2nd person to shower.

Breakfast consisted of toast, cold boiled eggs, salad, cereals. Entrance to the restaurant was not through the main door but via the tradesman's entrance which was shocking, stank of cigarette smoke and the toilets were accessed through a door which looked as if consisted of a laundry room, even the toilets stank of cigarette smoke. Restaurant staff didn't appear to speak english and just stood around staring.

I know it was a budget hotel but still shocking that this establishment passes any regulations.

Room Tip: Would not stay there again
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hungarian first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The rooms was TINY and I mean tiny,the batteries in the remote were dead so I couldn't watch tv.
The hot water in the shower was non existent,the staff aren't helpful or seem to know anything about fixing it. The view from the window was basically a wall and the window was also extremely small. There was dust everywhere too and the wifi required login details which aren't provided on the print out sheet. I didn't bother checking out the continental breakfast,but I'm sure it was awful as the rest. Unless you have nowhere else to stay,don't bother with this place,it's pathetic.

Room Tip: If you really must stay here,choose a double bed room and just hope that it's liveable because t...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Just returned from a weekend stoping at the king Solomon. I have been to many different budget hotels around the world but this one was by far the worst. I have seen a few reviews saying what do you want for £60per night, I expect something better than the dump that is the Solomon that's for sure! Firstly upon arrival you are greeted by by the shoddy and aged exterior of the hotel and the reception that looks like the builders gave up half way through. Secondly the corridors of the hotel are as shoddy as the outside and the doors with the security lock on were open all our stay which was worrying as anyone could wonder in/out as they pleased, also the stairs up to our room smelt of sewerage. Then last but not least was the room, it was very basic and poorly designed, things like the bathroom cabinet above the sink came out further than the sink! Also there was no lamps so if you didn't want to sit in the dark you had to use the bright led ceiling lights! The safe didn't work and there was holes in the walls! ... A truly horrible place for human beings to stop at!

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I stayed here with my partner, 11 year old son and his friend as we were going to Wembley to watch England's qualifier against Slovenia. I paid £99 for a family room including breakfast. On the whole the hotel isn't the best that I've ever stayed in but it is cheap as chips and 5 minutes walk from the tube, the bust stop is just across the road and its five minutes off the motorway. The room was big enough with two double beds and I was actually impressed with the shower and the cleanliness of the bathroom. It is dated and the could probably do with a referb but for a couple of nights it was perfectly adequate for our needs. The breakfast is continental, they offer bagels, toast, eggs, ham, cheese and jam but you could help yourself to as much as liked so toasted bagels and boiled eggs was perfectly fine for one morning. The staff were friendly and helpful and I would definitely stay here again. In my opinion you get what you pay for, I was nervous about coming here after reading some of the reviews but ended up pleasantly surprised with what ended up a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

King Solomon Hotel? King Solomons Mines more like.
Terrible. Just god awful. Look up the hotel on the web and it shows really modernly decked out rooms, with lovely furniture and stylish bed linen etc. The reality was worse. So much worse. I wish I could post photos with this review..........oh.......I can!
What could only be described as a 'double camp bed' was what awaited me after a 5 hour drive. In a room that to be fair was big, but with a really small radiator under a window with a huge crack in it, and a draught blowing through. The radiator was on full but was bearly luke warm, and did nothing to heat the air an inch from it let alone anything else from all the way at the end of the room, and bear in mind I visited the hotel in December. If only I had looked on here before booking the room!
No headboard on the bed, stains of god knows what and burn marks on the carpet, all sorts of marks and smears on the walls. So I was freezing cold, uncomfortable and feared for my health. In the bathroom neither the sink nor the bath had a plug, and there was grime, rot and grot around the tiles.
The walk to and from the room was tretcherous. If you didn't break your neck on all the frayed carpets, and the hanging electrical wires didn't get you, then some ungodly germs would in the long run from what was on the walls. Fire extinguishers just lay about on the floors of the hallways rather than on the walls. This place is disgusting. Please, for all that is holy, do not stay at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My boyfriend booked this place to stay when he visited me in London (long-distance sucks!). I told him to choose somewhere near Camden as that's where we would be spending a lot of time. He found the place online and obviously went for it because it was cheap and I said I was happy with whatever as long as he visits me.
The hotel looks big and nice from outside but it really is not. There's only like one guy that works at the reception desk, the stairs are not very wide and rather creaky and the walls are thin so we could hear other people awake and running around from down the corridor. The room was dirty, not very big, the window was a tiny thing near the ceiling, felt like a prison, the bed was ok but the sheets weren't very soft. The cleaners obviously don't do their job well as we found an empty condom box near the desk when reaching for the plugpoint. The bathrooom was absolutely awful - you can barely fit in there, and it is really dirty and mouldy, I was worried about how long the shower gel had been there so didn't even want to use it, the towels were painful as very scratchy. Breakfast - just awful - barely any choice, just cereal and bread which the service staff toasted but did not even get the bread I wanted correct even though I was stood next to her after just telling her, tea/coffee and juice from a machine, and lastly but the final straw for me - I found a hair on the jam which was definitely one of the staff as I knew exactly who was near it beforehand, noone ties their hair back/up so yeah clearly food hygiene issues there.
So, in conclusion - dirty, mouldy, and breakfast that I was scared to put in my mouth (lucky I was hungover).

Room Tip: Do not come here.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to King Solomon Hotel? Share your experiences!