“Bargain Stay! Pleasantly surprised.” 4 of 5 stars

King Solomon Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   155/159 Golders Green Road, London NW11 9BX, England   |
Ranked #930 of 1,071 hotels in London
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
“Bargain Stay! Pleasantly surprised.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in room 108, a double with extra bed and ensuite. great room but walls are thin so expect to hear door slamming and voices. but after reading reviews, i was surprised. beds were spotless and comfy and bathroom, even though it was small it was perfect for us (although the water in the shower was too hot for my chap, and didn't seem to have a cool setting, just hot and hotter).

Tea & coffee tray was full and even a fridge under the counter. Plenty of room for clothes and shirts to hang. Sockets were a struggle to get to, as the bed needed moving slightly, but nothing too tricky.
Housekeeping came in the day while we were out; emptied the bins and remade the beds and left more towels and loo roll.
Breakfast was odd, but filled us for the day. Toast, bagels, boiled egg, salad(?), tuna sweetcorn and egg mayo sandwich fillers and cereal. It was a shame that the coffee was vending machine, but my daughter loved the hot choc.

We were unfortunate on our first night stay that there was a domestic fight happening in a room nearby and kept us up all night, and left us pretty exhausted the next day, but the second night was very quiet so we soon forgot about it.

Location of the hotel was pretty good, only a short walk from the Golder Green Tube Station and passed most convenience store if you need supplies. Mainly Kosher eats locally though due to the area being predominantly Jewish.

We were very pleased with our stay, and we only paid £62 pn for the room inc breakfast. Bargain.

Room Tip: Our room was 108 (Double and single beds) and at the back. It was overlooking the rear of the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

360 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We booked to stay 2 nights with our 2 young children and requested a cot which was an adequate travel cot however, our room was on the 2nd floor. As this hotel has no lifts, we had to carry the pushchair up a very narrow staircase.

The room was big enough but the beds were camp beds and the duvets thin from age! The bathroom looked newly refurbished however none of us could wash/shower as the water was scolding hot!

Breakfast in my opinion was very poor: salad and odd tastiby Bagels. The kids just about managed the cereal. The owner stood menacingly urging his staff to stop talking and work!

All in all not the worst place we have stayed but like so many other guests commented, it could have been so much better.

• Stayed October 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

There was parking at the front of the hotel although a little tight and perhaps not enough places during busy periods.

Check in was ok although it seemed there was some sort of construction or reconstruction going on and so it didn't seem as professional as perhaps it may have had. The reception staff were ok, neither friendly or welcoming - indifferent.

Our room was at the top and so we had to struggle up these narrow staircases with all our belongings from our 6 week tour, which was no easy feat and it's a good job that we are fit and healthy.

Our first impressions? Nice but squashed. It was so small. The bed was comfortable, there was everything we needed - a kettle, very good supply of tea, coffee, milk and sugar, and it was clean.... but the bathroom door doesn't close and I enjoy my privacy. Hello! Plug sockets?

The shower floor is scratched but everything works fine and the towels are clean.

The next day, even though they took our dirty towel away, they failed to leave a fresh one - an oversight probably.

Wifi is something like £9 for 24 hours which I think is too much so we just used my mobile phone's internet which was cheaper.

We were awoken by people coming in on the first night late at night, and on the second the fire alarm went off. Twice! It was approximately 4 or 5am. Thereafter, we could hear people going from room to room, down the stairs, talking in the hallways, leaving, etc., and it was far too busy for me to go back to sleep.

Although breakfast was included, neither my husband or had any appetite after quite a restless couple of nights so I am unable to comment on it.

I wouldn't stay here again and I would not recommend it to family or friends.

• Stayed October 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Yes it's basic but what do you expect for the price? The room we stayed in had two double beds and a small bathroom. The room was clean and tidy, it had tea, coffee and kettle, a tv. Needed a iron and got one from reception. I will say the breakfast is nothing to write home about but who really cares!? It's fine for one night and I would happily stay there again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We had to take our cases up 3 flights of narrow stairs, to the roof top attic room, therefore we were in a slanted room, was so small, the bathroom so narrow and must of been a cupboard! Our room still had a toilet roll holder on the wall, so maybe it used to be a bathroom,
The hallway absolutely stunk, our room stunk it was rank!! Stunk of damp and was really damp, you could feel it on your skin and bedding and just disgusting!! This place is a total crap hole. Double room NOT !!!!
Camp beds, TV was perched on the wardrobe and you couldn't see it properly, dining staff miserable and breakfast unedible, nobody would believe the smell or conditions, you have to see and smell it to believe it. What a dive !!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Lagos, Nigeria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked four nights at this hotel. I visit the U.K every year and it is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. Arrived on Monday 9 Sep, and the middle-aged gentleman at the reception was so unwelcoming as I walked up to him he wore a stern look & his exact words were 'What can I do for you?' Got into the room after a 7 hours flight and there was hair on the bed. The matrass was worn out and definitely needed changing. You could constantly hear the doors slam from other rooms. I will never go back to this hotel & wont recommend it to anyone. To borrow an English expression, 'it was the pits'......couldn't wait to get out.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Am I just lucky with this hotel or do people expect too much! This is my 4th stay in 2 years and I have not had any cause for complaint on any occasion. The rooms were a decent size and clean, the breakfast adequate and the staff helpful. Yes, it is not a 4 star hotel but it is very good value and my latest stay was in the best room so far - room 60.

I would not hesitate to book it again for value and location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to King Solomon Hotel? Share your experiences!