“THE Place to Stay in London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Lilac Door

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Lilac Door
You added The Lilac Door to your Saves list
140 Rosendale Road | Dulwich, London SE21 8LG, England   |
Ranked #2 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
“THE Place to Stay in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

In all of our travels, whether for business or pleasure, we had never before experienced such warm hospitality as at The Lilac Door. One cannot say enough about Jane, the most lovely hostess on the planet. Everything is done with love here, from the chocolate and tea waiting in the wonderfully comfortable light-filled room over-looking her lovely garden, the large bathroom stocked with herbal bath, body and hair care, to the most sumptuous and truly 6-star breakfast offerings, including all of the most thoughtful and generous extras such as detailed public transport info., offering to drive us to the nearby station early in the morning, and Jane even printed out an article for us to read about the wine fair that we were attending!
Dulwich Village is a 15 minute walk (walking slowly through the beautiful Belair Park) where one can enjoy a lovely dinner "al fresco" - there are several "boutique" restaurants to choose from, and a characterful traditional pub. It's wonderful for decompressing after a day in Central London.
The Lilac Door is, by far, our choice home-away-from-home in London.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I had the most wonderful experience at the Lilac Door! There seems to be endless amounts of hot water and heated towels! Service is impeccable! When I arrived I had just experienced a 7.5 hour flight and was exhausted! I took a quick sleep and afterwards, Jane took me to Ollies, which had the best fish and chips that I had ever experienced! She actually took me there in her car and she did not have to do it! Jane also was a great friend who I quickly found I had a lot in common with! Jane did my laundry, at my request and treated me with kindness. Kindness seems to be a lost art in the Bed and Breakfast industry but there is none lacking here. I stayed with Jane an entire week and every day was absolutely wonderful. For breakfast in the morning she would have a fresh fruit and on Easter weekend she had fresh hot cross buns, which was a real treat. If I had it to do all over again I would have extended my stay in London and stayed there longer. This was the most wonderful experience and I am all the better for having to met this wonderful family!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Jane is the perfect hostess! so warm, helpful and caring!
The purple room is gorgeous, the breakfast is delicious, the B&B is located in a quiet lovely neighborhood, just 11 minutes away by train from the london victoria station! I wish we could stay longer :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aledo, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at Lilac Door to finish out the end of our 12 day anniversary trip and as such were already pretty tired. Having come straight from an overnight train, we got to Jane's about 3 hours before check in to drop off our bags, but she had laid out breakfast for us and had decided to quickly turn around our rooms, neither service of which she charged us for. We were so appreciative! She also offered to wash any laundry for us. Breakfasts were always top notch, and our rooms had everything we needed. Our last night, it was raining so she drive us to dinner. Bottom line is that Jane works so hard to take care of her guests, and I know that anyone who stays here will have a great experience!

• Stayed May 2013
Jacksonville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The Lilac Door is located in the West Dulwich neighborhood, right off the Victoria Tube stop. While it's not in the heart of the city, it's not far and incredibly easy to get to. The rooms are spotless, the beds are so comfortable, she provides yummy smelling toiletries, an in-room tea kettle with tea and coffee and the yummiest breakfast ever! For breakfast you can expect loads of fresh fruit, an abundance of pastries, toast, meats and cheeses, cereals, yogurts, granola, juice, coffee, tea and a hot egg meal of your choice. I always went with the smoked salmon and scrambled egg and i've dreamt of it ever since. Stay here when traveling to London, you cant beat the accommodations for the price!

Room Tip: We picked her largest room with an en suite bath. Awesome!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I trusted my cousin with this one, him doing the reservations. Jane was a most welcoming host, and very attentive to details: how to lock the door, sign in to let her know we're home for the night, welcoming cookies, chocolate bar on our pillows, fresh fruit in the morning, tea at the ready and basically everything you need for a perfect stay!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bangor, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I have stayed in a number of b&bs in my time and I have to say the breakfasts that Jane prepares at the Lilac Door are really are up there with the best of them. I don't know about you but the phrase 'continental breakfast' conjures up for me the disheartening image of a bowl of cornflakes and a carton of long life concentrated orange juice served on a plastic tray outside your hotel room door at some unearthly time of the time of the morning. Such a breakfast could only ever be a solution to the 'what do I have time to eat before my flight leaves' kind of problem as opposed to anyone's idea of a substantial breakfast. Jane's approach to the oeuvre is wholly different. A freshly prepared fruit plate will be waiting at your table, just for you. A massive selection of breads, cheese, charcuterie, jams, cereals and juices, and, eggs and bacon or similar will be served up, made to your order. A good selection of teas and excellent coffee are also provided. I can honestly say it was dinner time each day before I could eat a substantial meal after such a breakfast! Jane also,very kindly, allowed me to take a croissant to give to the little girl I was visiting.

I could extol the virtues of the breakfast endlessly, as it is a subject close to my heart, but there are other advantages to this establishment namely - convenience to central London, a very comfortable bedroom and en suite decorated in very cool, calming colour scheme which was lovely to come back to each evening, pristine levels of cleanliness, a good position on a pleasant residential street.

All in all this stay represented excellent value for money. Even if I was visiting central London I would stay here due to the excellent standards, calming atmosphere and value for money it represents and I have already recommended it wholeheartedly to friends and family alike.

Well done The Lilac Door!

Room Tip: I saw all three and they are all lovely!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Lilac Door? Share your experiences!