“Excellent location for business” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Apex Temple Court Hotel

You added Apex Temple Court Hotel to your Saves list
Apex Temple Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 2 Serjeants' Inn | Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1LL, England (City of London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pay Advance - Get 15% OFF
Ranked #26 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sussex, UK
“Excellent location for business”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I must have walked past this hotel in Fleet Street many times but only recently had an opportunity to stay in it. Checking in was very efficient, but perhaps too efficient. I felt like a room-user and not a guest. The room was superb, overlooking the courtyard at the Fleet Street side of the hotel. The bed was very comfortable indeed and overall cleanliness and comfort were all 5 star. There was plenty of space in the wardrobes, nice toiletries in the bathroom and an iron (sometimes a rare item in London hotels).

I slept very well though I'd have to say that noise from lively conversations in the courtyard area would make me careful about the room I was offered in a future visit. I went down to one of the best breakfasts I have had (only the Hilton at Stansted Airport is in the same class). A wonderful array of bread and a very nicely cooked and presented cooked breakfast.

Overall a very restful and enjoyable one-night stay, making me wonder why I had not tried this hotel before. It's now firmly on my preference short list. The fact that it is only a 10 minute walk from Holborn Viaduct station with a direct connection to London St. Pancras and King's Cross to the north and London Bridge to the south is very convenient.

Room Tip: The front (Fleet Street) courtyard might be a bit noisy. The rear courtyard might be less so.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Greek first
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

This hotel can't be faulted. Starting from the location on Fleet Street - you won't find anything more central in London... And at the same time the location is part of the beautiful Temple Court gardens, this little known and so wonderfully charming oasis of peace in the middle of London! The building itself immediately makes a great impression on the visitor, whether you enter by car in the large courtyard at the back or through the small courtyard at the front, it feels so exclusive! Then as one enters the building one gets impressed by the lovely modern design of the lobby and bar area. Check-in goes like a charm, thanks to the very welcoming and friendly staff and also thanks to a user-friendly check-in procedure which saves you much of the hassle now so common in hotel chains about picture ids, credit cards and forms to be filled in!

Getting to the room, I must say, was a long way through the relatively hot and narrow corridors. This will be my one and only criticism, and I must admit a very minor one. But as soon as we got to the room we were truly impressed - the room was extremely bright and modern (we were probably lucky to be given a room on a corner - room 350 - so we had windows on two sides), and it was also spotless and very well equipped (minibar, safe, iPod docking station, large flat screen TV, complimentary water bottles etc). And the bathroom was just marvelous, with plenty of space, a large tub and a huge separate shower cabin... And all looked in absolutely pristine condition as if it was in a showroom!

I can't wait to come back... In two weeks actually, I already booked my next trip!

Room Tip: Corner rooms e.g. room 350 have windows and two sides and are very bright
Bonita Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Almost new hotel in a great location. The rooms are very large in comparison to a typical London property. The rooms are setup in a efficient manner with very modern bathrooms. We had two rooms for a six day stay. Both had comfortable beds and separate bathtubs and showers. Everything worked and the rooms were perfectly cleaned each day.

The staff was helpful and knowledge. Francesco (?), one of the concierge's went out of his way to recommend restaurants that turned out to be excellent choices for what we asked for. Often you get referred to places that the staff likes but doesn't meet your request.

Will certainly go back.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Needing to attend my meetings at Globe House along Temple Street, I found this hotel very convenient not only to Workshop location but also to the underground, temple station. The station is only a 10 mins walk away from the hotel. You could as well also hop onto a bus from across the hotel. I used the 11 quite a lot. I also found the staff very courteous and takin fan extra step to make one comfortable

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great hotel, with all the modern accessories. I really enjoyed the freshly brewed coffee, the HDMI connection and the ample electricity sockets. Perfect service even on small things, such as offering you a cup of coffee while waiting in the lobby. It is not the last time I'm staying here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Luzern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Excellent Hotel in (almost) any respect. I would only have preferred the room doors to be more sound proof and the pillows softer. Else nothing (!) to complain at all. I would go there again any time!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Apex Temple Court for one night on Saturday September 28th with my mum, as a surprise overnight trip treat for her.

We got a decent rate through a Spanish site at 150 pounds (decent for London, anywhere else I wouldn't pay that much), and I was really looking forward to this hotel after reading all the great reviews.

First impression was good after I contacted them by e-mail and asked for confirmation that we'd get a twin and for directions/ advice on how to best get to the hotel from Victoria station. They were polite, answered quickly and sent us an easy-to-follow map from Temple underground station (7 mins walk). The hotel entrance from the street could be easy to miss when arriving by car/taxi so make sure you ask them for directions before you arrive.
Hotel situation is very good I would say, 10 minutes walk to Covent Garden but in a quieter area (at least during the weekend), and also close to the Embankment. It's easy to get to from the Temple underground as I previously mentioned.

Impression on arrival is that the hotel is completely new and very tastefully decorated in a modern way, not at all the typical rundown classical London hotel.

Check in was fast and we upgraded to the super-late checkout at 17:00 on Sunday without trouble. I did this so we didn't get stressed but actually we don't think it's worth it at 35 pounds extra so we wouldn't do it again, better to bring the bags down in the morning so they keep them at reception.

The room was the best one I've seen at a London hotel so far (for tourism). I haven't been in London for business yet. Super clean, nicely appointed, twin beds, looking over the very nice hotel patio, great bathroom, flat screen, mini-bar, complimentary water, cookies, tea and coffee...

The great disappointment came at sleeping time: this room is very badly isolated for light, and I guess all other rooms are as well since it looked like a general problem. The blackout curtains in the room let in quite some light through the top, even at nighttime since the patio is well lit. The blackout curtain in the bathroom lets in a lot of light as well and the bathroom door has a translucent pane so it doesn't keep the light from entering the room. True, I'm more sensitive than most when it comes to sleeping with light, but being a new hotel they should have been more careful about it. Or at least they could place a complimentary face mask in the rooms to atone for it. I couldn't fall asleep until way past 04:00 so that was quite bad.

We had buffet breakfast (no hot items, only continental-style breakfast) included in our rate. Nothing to write home about, but good enough.

Then came the only problem with hotel staff, but it was a bad one. When we left the hotel in the morning we passed by reception to make sure our keys were well updated to let us in until 17:00, since we knew we'd be in a hurry. Marianela from reception said they weren't coded properly to begin with, coded them correctly (apparently), and assured us it would be fine. We got to the hotel at 16:40 and went straight up to the room, which took like 5 minutes since it's at the end of a maze-like corridor on the 3rd floor. When we got there, the cards didn't work. We went down to reception, found Marianela and told her to please re-code them asap, since we were in a hurry like we'd told her in the morning. She didn't even apologize, just laughed and said: it's ok now! My mum asked her: "are you sure?" and she answered she was. So we did the whole trip up again only to find out the keys were still not working. By now we were starting to run late and quite annoyed. We called down to reception from the phone in the corridor and asked for Marianela, they put us on hold since she was on the phone and the call ended up cutting off, so we had to go down again. She was still on the phone, we told the other receptionists we needed someone up with us immediately to open the room and they sent a guy with us. He was polite and nice, I didn't get his name. We told him the problem in the elevator, he asked who had made the coding mistake, and seemed not surprised at all when we told him it was Marianela.

Check-out was uneventful 10 minutes after that, although they could have waived the late check-out fee or part of it to show they were sorry for the bad service and inconvenience. As it was, no one apologized for the mess up.

The card coding problem, the way they dealt with it badly and without a sigle "I'm sorry", and the light isolation problem in the room are why I took the rating down to 4 stars, and I was close to bringing it down to three since they really made us feel not cared about as clients that afternoon.

Hotel staff:
- Anja answered my e-mails previous to arrival, nicely and with good information.
- Nagore from reception was great at check-in, making us feel welcome and giving us some advice on what to do in London.
- Marianela from reception was hopeless and rude on top. Try not to request anything from her.

Room Tip: We had room 344, a twin, quiet but on the end of a long maze of corridors. Nice bathroom with windo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Apex Temple Court Hotel? Share your experiences!