“New, conveniently located... could have been a 5 star except for some bad details” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Apex Temple Court Hotel

Save Saved
You added Apex Temple Court Hotel to your Saves list
Apex Temple Court Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 2 Serjeants' Inn | Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1LL, England (City of London)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Great deal:Save up to 30%
Ranked #20 of 1,075 hotels in London
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I stayed at the Apex Temple Court for one night on Saturday September 28th with my mum, as a surprise overnight trip treat for her.

We got a decent rate through a Spanish site at 150 pounds (decent for London, anywhere else I wouldn't pay that much), and I was really looking forward to this hotel after reading all the great reviews.

First impression was good after I contacted them by e-mail and asked for confirmation that we'd get a twin and for directions/ advice on how to best get to the hotel from Victoria station. They were polite, answered quickly and sent us an easy-to-follow map from Temple underground station (7 mins walk). The hotel entrance from the street could be easy to miss when arriving by car/taxi so make sure you ask them for directions before you arrive.
Hotel situation is very good I would say, 10 minutes walk to Covent Garden but in a quieter area (at least during the weekend), and also close to the Embankment. It's easy to get to from the Temple underground as I previously mentioned.

Impression on arrival is that the hotel is completely new and very tastefully decorated in a modern way, not at all the typical rundown classical London hotel.

Check in was fast and we upgraded to the super-late checkout at 17:00 on Sunday without trouble. I did this so we didn't get stressed but actually we don't think it's worth it at 35 pounds extra so we wouldn't do it again, better to bring the bags down in the morning so they keep them at reception.

The room was the best one I've seen at a London hotel so far (for tourism). I haven't been in London for business yet. Super clean, nicely appointed, twin beds, looking over the very nice hotel patio, great bathroom, flat screen, mini-bar, complimentary water, cookies, tea and coffee...

The great disappointment came at sleeping time: this room is very badly isolated for light, and I guess all other rooms are as well since it looked like a general problem. The blackout curtains in the room let in quite some light through the top, even at nighttime since the patio is well lit. The blackout curtain in the bathroom lets in a lot of light as well and the bathroom door has a translucent pane so it doesn't keep the light from entering the room. True, I'm more sensitive than most when it comes to sleeping with light, but being a new hotel they should have been more careful about it. Or at least they could place a complimentary face mask in the rooms to atone for it. I couldn't fall asleep until way past 04:00 so that was quite bad.

We had buffet breakfast (no hot items, only continental-style breakfast) included in our rate. Nothing to write home about, but good enough.

Then came the only problem with hotel staff, but it was a bad one. When we left the hotel in the morning we passed by reception to make sure our keys were well updated to let us in until 17:00, since we knew we'd be in a hurry. Marianela from reception said they weren't coded properly to begin with, coded them correctly (apparently), and assured us it would be fine. We got to the hotel at 16:40 and went straight up to the room, which took like 5 minutes since it's at the end of a maze-like corridor on the 3rd floor. When we got there, the cards didn't work. We went down to reception, found Marianela and told her to please re-code them asap, since we were in a hurry like we'd told her in the morning. She didn't even apologize, just laughed and said: it's ok now! My mum asked her: "are you sure?" and she answered she was. So we did the whole trip up again only to find out the keys were still not working. By now we were starting to run late and quite annoyed. We called down to reception from the phone in the corridor and asked for Marianela, they put us on hold since she was on the phone and the call ended up cutting off, so we had to go down again. She was still on the phone, we told the other receptionists we needed someone up with us immediately to open the room and they sent a guy with us. He was polite and nice, I didn't get his name. We told him the problem in the elevator, he asked who had made the coding mistake, and seemed not surprised at all when we told him it was Marianela.

Check-out was uneventful 10 minutes after that, although they could have waived the late check-out fee or part of it to show they were sorry for the bad service and inconvenience. As it was, no one apologized for the mess up.

The card coding problem, the way they dealt with it badly and without a sigle "I'm sorry", and the light isolation problem in the room are why I took the rating down to 4 stars, and I was close to bringing it down to three since they really made us feel not cared about as clients that afternoon.

Hotel staff:
- Anja answered my e-mails previous to arrival, nicely and with good information.
- Nagore from reception was great at check-in, making us feel welcome and giving us some advice on what to do in London.
- Marianela from reception was hopeless and rude on top. Try not to request anything from her.

Room Tip: We had room 344, a twin, quiet but on the end of a long maze of corridors. Nice bathroom with windo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

1,667 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I confess, I love using TA reviews to help my decision making process. However, I hardly ever write one myself. My recent stay here has compelled me to make the time and share. I do lots of research and found this hotel to exceed most of my expectations!! Do it and don't look back...

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We won't stay anywhere else in London. Usually stay at Apex City of London because we love the location but wanted to see if this hotel was as fabulous - it is...and we got a different duck ;)
Breakfasts are wonderful, rooms are always a delight and the staff are great.

moray
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay,the room upgrade was very good our only little niggle was we were given a £10 voucher to be used for drinks or dining in bar or room,we ordered b/fast in room not realising this was not part of voucher deal as you have to read very small print on back of voucher to see this.It seems a little off to exclude this from deal.

Room Tip: Too hot turn off heating at night or put on cold air flow
Bonn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

It was not our first trip to London but the first stay at the Apex. And we were not disappointed. It is a quite stilish and modern hotel in a beautiful old house. The rooms were very nice and especially the bathroom was wonderful.
The staff is quite friendly and willing to help.
Even the breakfast was good, although this is a point to become even better... I wish the would offer some warm things like eggs as well on the buffet. You have to pay for it, even if you booked breakfast. Also it should be possible to offer the different cheeses and ham etc. during the whole breakfast-hours, not just at the beginning!

There is a bus stop right in front of the hotel, thats perfect! 2 tube stations are just a 5 minutes walk (or less) away...
It was a wonderful weekend and I am looking forwad to be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Great hotel for buisness or vacation.Its in the centre of London and close to many atractions including, St. Paul's Cathedral and The House of Lords.Service and restaurant is very good.You can ask them for a taxi or buy a buss pass at the nearby underground.Rooms are spacious for two but not for three people.Even when coming from another country like me from South Africa it was still good value.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher levels have more sun.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Our third visit to Temple Court! If I have to give one to describe our stay it has to be relaxing! We stayed in junior suite once and twice in deluxe room. We personally prefer the deluxe as we find it more cosy. Both types of room are very spacious (how rare for London) and have a very comfortable king size bed, lovely bathroom and nice furnishings. Reception is efficient and above all smiling. Breakfast very quick and good value. We did not have dinner this time but have done so on previous stays and dinner is good as well. Location is perfect; quiet, just far enough out of centre to have good night sleep (Covent Garden under 10 minute walk). Wha tmore can I say- all in all very relaxing for a weekend break!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Apex Temple Court Hotel? Share your experiences!