“Biggest dive I have ever stayed in!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Ascot Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
The Ascot Hotel
Save Saved
You added The Ascot Hotel to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Craven Road, London W2 5BP, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #997 of 1,073 hotels in London
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Biggest dive I have ever stayed in!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I could constantly hear the lift going up and down all night thank god it wasn't busy on our floor as we could hear everything from the hall way as there was a gap between the door and floor of approx 2inches there was no carpet on the floor so our shoes echoed around the room. The lift only had room for 3 people with childish doodles and sratches. and turns out the cleaning staff in the morning want to share the lift with you and 2big bags of toilet roll with no excuse me or do you mind! We had one pillow each and the duvet was a thick blanket shoved into a worn and tired out duvet cover. To make our kettle work we had to manually hold the button in till it had boiled. The bathroom was brand new with no skirting board and an oversized tap and cabinet that you couldn't open for the toilet. Breakfast well what a disaster when I asked whether there was any white bread left I got a shrug not no sorry we have ran out just a shrug! As I bit into a boiled egg it was grey so grey it may as well have been black I had to spit it out which was so embarrassing! There was no fresh milk just the small cartons. It's a great location and we did pop to a pub on the corner which has rooms from£19 called the pride of paddington I would def try there but as for ascot if I had the choice between a wet cardboard box and ascot I'd go for the box!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Nottingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

From the moment you check in at the hostel style check in desk, you know what you're gonna get. £20 deposit for the TV remote?? Really?? Then take the lift, with its crude representations of male genitalia....

Yes, this place is an absolute toilet. Paid for 4 nights, will check out after one

Sites like hotelclub are complicit in keeping this hole in business. Just don't stay here. Please.

Room Tip: Just somewhere else!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed here the second week in January of 2013. Room 309, which was clean and spacey, but after my 3rd day there I discovered bedbug bites on my hand, arm and back. When showed the bites to the man at the front desk (who is also the manager) he told me that they don't have a bedbug problem at their hotel and suggested that I had gotten the bites somewhere outside....where the temperature was below freezing and it had been snowing for 4 days!

Also, the hallways are VERY noisy during the morning hours, most of which comes from the cleaning staff, who I had to ask twice to please keep their voices down.

The only good things I can say about this place is it's relatively clean, excellent location and very reasonably priced.....but what good is that if you're going to be bitten and awakened early!

Room Tip: Ask to see a room before you take it and check the seams in the mattresses for bedbugs!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

The Ascot hotel was by far my worst hotel experience ever.
- no hot water
- not cleaned properly (hairs in bed as well as in the shower.)
- broken furniture
- smelly carpet
- couldn't sleep due to the noise of the elevator.
- talking to the staff is not possible because they don't speak English.
- Breakfast was "served" in the basement and included: old and dry sandwiches, plastic cheese, jam and instant coffee.

Complaining about all this was meaningless: no action was taken and any cash refund was not possible.
When booking this place I knew it wouldn't be a Hilton hotel but I didn't expect it to be a pigsty!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Valencia, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

It is LOUSY all over, ugly, smelly, unclean, unsafe, breakfast is unbearable, staff is useless. I got a street side room, insulation is so bad the street noise kept me awake almost all night. 100% crap. Their only merit is to be accross the street from Paddington station and about 30 metres from the subway.

Room Tip: Just don't choose it, it's awful.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

I paid £30 for a single room here, which was small but clean and everything you would expect for the price. Wifi is £2.50 per hour and there is a deposit for the use of the tv. But a decent value stay!

• Stayed July 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012 via mobile

Despite having low expectations, we were mortified at the state of this hotel. Bugs, exposed wiring, lifts out of order, uncleanliness, holes in walls and appauling customer service. I wish I had read previous reviews before booking this hotel. Never again...

Been to The Ascot Hotel? Share your experiences!