“Many shortcomings” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Edward Paddington

Save Saved
You added Hotel Edward Paddington to your Saves list
Hotel Edward Paddington
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1A Spring St | Paddington, London W2 3RA, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #748 of 1,073 hotels in London
holland
“Many shortcomings”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The positive: convenient to rail and tube, Hyde Park/Paddington. CHeap by London standards, helpful staff, clean rooms recently refubished. But the negatives really ground us down: Front desk staff had no idea about nearby resatuarants, attractions, rooms very small, new decor in bathroos already starting to .fall aprt, wifi signal limited, room kettle didn't work, heating did not work, Bayswater road side very noisy, when bathroom light did not work, front desk staff said "sorry - there's no-one on maintenance on Saturdays & all the other rooms are full ....

Room Tip: Ask for Spring Street side

272 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Booked on the day of arrival . Literally the cheapest hotel I could find! It was only £81 for twin room and just 3 mins away from paddington station . It was very clean and modern . Hotel staff were helpful and happy . One downside would be the size of the rooms. VERY compact. Fine for 1 night but you couldn't really do more than that!

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I thought the Hotel was in an excellent location close to the tube and trains.

On arrival the hotel staff were very helpful and polite.

The room was really clean, we booked a triple room and it was a bargain for London.

The room wasn't the biggest but that didn't dampen my opinion.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stated 1 night as part of a business trip. No doubt, it is in a convenient locaton with only a few minutes walk away from Paddington station. That is the only positive point.

The rooms are really, really small, even for London budget hotel standards. I am 5'2'' tall and even I was too tall for the bed. There is literally no room to move around- my small suitcase which easily fits as aircraft hand luggage was too big to squeeze in the space between end of the bed and door. Ammenities are minimal and whilst the bathroom was functional, the room was so small, running the shower quickly resulted in the whole room becoming misty. The space design is terrible. The walls are paper thin and so my night was disturbed by noise from inside and outside the hotel. The bed was very uncomfortable, sheets were grubby. The 'cover' resembled the same condition as an old dog blanket.

It is amazing what people will accept as ok in London! I would rather have an extra 5-10 minutes on the tube and get better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington station, in a relatively quiet street. Got a good nights rest and were able to get into the West End in about 20 minutes with the Tube/buses. We were upgraded for free from a double to a triple bedroom, but this was still pretty small for 2 people and we had difficulty moving around the room - I guess this is normal for hotels in the area. We knew there would be no free wi-fi so cannot complain about that. Minus points: there was no toilet paper in the bathroom when we arrived, and the bed sheets were not all too clean. Beds are too soft for our liking.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on more than one occasion. I have been extremely satisified each time. The rooms are typical London fashio, REALLY SMALL. However, The room has plenty of lighting, a really neat mirror in the bathroom with side lights to act as a nightlight if required. The beds are extra soft and the guy at the desk was nice. The first and second times, I had a single room. The last visit was in a double one. I would def stay again.

Como, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Plenty of ups and downs for my stay at Hotel Edward. I always stay in Paddington when I visit London because it is extremely convenient in terms of transportation (different London Underground lines available, train station and just a 15 minutes ride on the night bus from Piccadilly). This time I had decided to reduce my usual budget a little bit and found this hotel on Booking.com. If I recall correctly, it was even a special offer.
Please note: I have not complained with the hotel about the following because my time in London was so short that I was always in a rush when leaving or going back to my room. I just hope they read this and take suggestions in consideration.
Check in went smoothly with a nice girl at reception. She also agreed to let me check out at 12 instead of 11am, and I was very pleased by that.
Other than this, let's just say I should have booked a bigger room. I am very adaptable, but this one was just too small and space was not organized well. When offering such small rooms, hotel management should really put an effort in thinking how a person moves in a room, and what could they put into the room to facilitate everything.
For example: how about putting a coat hanger behind the entrance door? If I had one, I wouldn't have had to use the ONLY hanger provided in the wardrobe for my coat.
Why don't you put more hangers in the wardrobe? They could be useful to empty a small luggage and allow the guest to put the luggage under the table or under the night stand, instead of keeping it at hand to take out clothes everytime. If hangers get stolen, you can always buy that type where a piece of it stays on the rack, and the other comes off.
How about having a night stand that goes from the bed to the wardrobe? This way you have 15cm available to empty your pockets.
I basically had to hide the coffee set in the wardrobe's bottom part and keep my luggage on the only table in the room.
Also annoying, 2 led lights above the bed didn't go off properly when switching them off, so I slept with this "glow" in the room, very annoying, especially if you like your room to be dark when you spleep.
I didn't have any shampoo or shower gel with me, so for the first night I have used what they provided, shame nobody replaced the empty sachets with new ones on my second day. At least I bought some shampoo before getting back to the room and discover what my instinct was suspecting already.
Again, bad luck I guess: getting back to the hotel on saturday night (around 3am) I got stuck outside because the entrance door was locked. A piece of paper said "be back in 5 minutes". So I've waited outside, freezing cold, until the guy came back and unlocked the door.
It is a 24hrs reception, why don't you install an authomatic door with a key card reader outside?!?
With the money you charge for a room, you can easily do all of the above.
Services I did not use: wi fi and storage room for luggages. You have to pay for them, which is ridicolous for a hotel in London City Centre, but I did not care at time of booking because I knew I would not have used neither of the 2.
It could be a great place to stay with great comments as well by doing so little, but definitely not my best stay in Paddington!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Edward Paddington? Share your experiences!