“Would not stay again!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #761 of 1,060 Hotels in London
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Would not stay again!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stated 1 night as part of a business trip. No doubt, it is in a convenient locaton with only a few minutes walk away from Paddington station. That is the only positive point.

The rooms are really, really small, even for London budget hotel standards. I am 5'2'' tall and even I was too tall for the bed. There is literally no room to move around- my small suitcase which easily fits as aircraft hand luggage was too big to squeeze in the space between end of the bed and door. Ammenities are minimal and whilst the bathroom was functional, the room was so small, running the shower quickly resulted in the whole room becoming misty. The space design is terrible. The walls are paper thin and so my night was disturbed by noise from inside and outside the hotel. The bed was very uncomfortable, sheets were grubby. The 'cover' resembled the same condition as an old dog blanket.

It is amazing what people will accept as ok in London! I would rather have an extra 5-10 minutes on the tube and get better value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Hebrew first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington station, in a relatively quiet street. Got a good nights rest and were able to get into the West End in about 20 minutes with the Tube/buses. We were upgraded for free from a double to a triple bedroom, but this was still pretty small for 2 people and we had difficulty moving around the room - I guess this is normal for hotels in the area. We knew there would be no free wi-fi so cannot complain about that. Minus points: there was no toilet paper in the bathroom when we arrived, and the bed sheets were not all too clean. Beds are too soft for our liking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel on more than one occasion. I have been extremely satisified each time. The rooms are typical London fashio, REALLY SMALL. However, The room has plenty of lighting, a really neat mirror in the bathroom with side lights to act as a nightlight if required. The beds are extra soft and the guy at the desk was nice. The first and second times, I had a single room. The last visit was in a double one. I would def stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Como, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Plenty of ups and downs for my stay at Hotel Edward. I always stay in Paddington when I visit London because it is extremely convenient in terms of transportation (different London Underground lines available, train station and just a 15 minutes ride on the night bus from Piccadilly). This time I had decided to reduce my usual budget a little bit and found this hotel on Booking.com. If I recall correctly, it was even a special offer.
Please note: I have not complained with the hotel about the following because my time in London was so short that I was always in a rush when leaving or going back to my room. I just hope they read this and take suggestions in consideration.
Check in went smoothly with a nice girl at reception. She also agreed to let me check out at 12 instead of 11am, and I was very pleased by that.
Other than this, let's just say I should have booked a bigger room. I am very adaptable, but this one was just too small and space was not organized well. When offering such small rooms, hotel management should really put an effort in thinking how a person moves in a room, and what could they put into the room to facilitate everything.
For example: how about putting a coat hanger behind the entrance door? If I had one, I wouldn't have had to use the ONLY hanger provided in the wardrobe for my coat.
Why don't you put more hangers in the wardrobe? They could be useful to empty a small luggage and allow the guest to put the luggage under the table or under the night stand, instead of keeping it at hand to take out clothes everytime. If hangers get stolen, you can always buy that type where a piece of it stays on the rack, and the other comes off.
How about having a night stand that goes from the bed to the wardrobe? This way you have 15cm available to empty your pockets.
I basically had to hide the coffee set in the wardrobe's bottom part and keep my luggage on the only table in the room.
Also annoying, 2 led lights above the bed didn't go off properly when switching them off, so I slept with this "glow" in the room, very annoying, especially if you like your room to be dark when you spleep.
I didn't have any shampoo or shower gel with me, so for the first night I have used what they provided, shame nobody replaced the empty sachets with new ones on my second day. At least I bought some shampoo before getting back to the room and discover what my instinct was suspecting already.
Again, bad luck I guess: getting back to the hotel on saturday night (around 3am) I got stuck outside because the entrance door was locked. A piece of paper said "be back in 5 minutes". So I've waited outside, freezing cold, until the guy came back and unlocked the door.
It is a 24hrs reception, why don't you install an authomatic door with a key card reader outside?!?
With the money you charge for a room, you can easily do all of the above.
Services I did not use: wi fi and storage room for luggages. You have to pay for them, which is ridicolous for a hotel in London City Centre, but I did not care at time of booking because I knew I would not have used neither of the 2.
It could be a great place to stay with great comments as well by doing so little, but definitely not my best stay in Paddington!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Good location and clean rooms, which had recently been refurbished. Small problem with a leaking shower. Staff weren't particularly friendly upon arrival and when we had any queries. Other than this, we recommend this hotel because of its good location and simple yet comfortable rooms. Good value.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochdale, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This hotel has just been refurbished so appearences were quite refereshing for this type of hotel. I stayed in a twin room with my work colleague for one night. As the two beds were next to each other we seperated them for more room. The amount of dirt accumulated in the unseen areas was quite discusting. The recent reports into hotel bedrooms within the London area with fleas is not suprising with the standard of cleaning which is being carried out, and not just this hotel either. I can understand the comment jbleisue made regarding the receptionist. When he asked if I had parked in the carpark, which I had, he wanted to add £20.00 car parking fee to my bill. I told him I would not wish to pay that amount to park and I would street park instead. I got told to move my vehical straight away as I was likley to be clamped. Again this is a case of hotel staff who are not acustomed to offering customer service due to their own culture of surliness and upbringing. No happy smiley faces here!!!!

Room Tip: Check out the room first, our twin room was really a single room with two beds.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Bearing in mind that I booked my stay through an online offer (£30 per person per night), I can happily say that our stay at the Edward Hotel was great.

The four of us were meant to stay in a quadruple bedroom for 4 adults. I forgot to specify that the beds should have all been single and not doubles. Fortunately, the staff were kind enough to transfer us to two double bedrooms which were next to each other, at no extra cost! We were greatful for this excellent service, especially when so many other places would have charged us extra.

The Hotel is a lovely white building with modern (recently refurbished) interiors. The rooms are small, but are comfortable and come with modern furniture, funky wallpaper, and a flatscreen TV. The bathrooms are clean and white, and the showers are spacious.

One thing I could see being an issue is the noise coming from other rooms. We had a family with children and could hear them playfighting! Fortunately this did not last very long, but certainly something worth considering as a hazard to one's potential good night's sleep!

They offer affordable on-site parking if you reserve in advance. They kindly let me off the extra couple of hours on the last day too!

The area is fantastic, and its location is prime. It shares the street with cafes, shops and restaurants, and literally a two minute walk from paddington!

For what it cost us, and our experience, I very strongly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially at the price we paid (£240 for FOUR people for 2 nights!).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Edward Paddington? Share your experiences!