“Down to Earth real old Authentic London” 5 of 5 stars

The Angerstein Hotel
108 Woolwich Road, Greenwich, London SE10 OLE, England (Greenwich)   |
Ranked #172 of 513 London B&B and Inns
Cork, Ireland
“Down to Earth real old Authentic London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was in London for the weekend to meet up with my Son who had won a competition which brought him from Melbourne Australia for a hair dresser conference near the O2 arena. This is not really an Hotel in the true sense of the word, but I enjoyed my stay there. The staff and owners are real Londoners who made me feel very welcome. The place is really large Victorian pub with three stories. ( No lift! ) of rooms. The rooms are a clean and spotless white. the facilities are basic but enough for the price. There are no meals served.( Unusual! ) But plenty of London cafes in the area which are reasonably priced. The greatest point about this place is the location. It's a short walk, or even shorter bus ride to the O2 arena and Greenwich North station which will take you two stops to London bridge and only a few more stops to the center of London. The Large bar which caters mainly for older local people did not keep me awake as I was on the third floor. The bar could do with two or three sofas to really relax in after a day of being out and about. But that's only a minor crib. The main thing is, it was cheap, for London and near where I wanted to be as my son was staying in the Millennium Village apartments.

Room Tip: Rooms up high will avoid any noise from bar. Be warned the stairs are steep
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here on the 30th march 2013 as I was going to see olly murs at the O2 arena. It is in a great location for this type of visit, I was told it would be a 10 minute walk however we didn't know the area so called the local cab number that was displayed in our room and they picked us up straight away and took us there for 5 pound. It was a pretty long drive, about 10/15 minutes so personally I wouldn't walk it, there could be shortcuts but we didn't know where we were going. I stayed in the twin room with a shared bathroom, which wasn't a problem at all, I didn't have to que once for shower. And I had four beds in my room haha very spacious. Fantastic staff very friendly. Room was very warm which was lovely. Definitely would return :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We had 3 rooms here and were a little worried on returning from a concert at the O2 as there was a party in the pub. Amazed we couldn't hear any noise when we went to our rooms. On the up side - rooms were warm, spotless, beds comfy and relatively spacious with tea/coffee making facilities and biscuits. Downside the showers were not particularly warm, we don't know if this was because we were all up late (10am) and the hot water had been used up by other guests.

An improvement recommendation would be a few notices reminding guests to be quiet when walking between rooms and bathrooms. We weren't exactly early to bed (1am) but got woken up by very noisy guests saying goodnight in the corridors and banging doors, I can't blame the hotel for this and I find it is often a hazard of staying in a hotel. Fortunately it didn't carry on for long and was no less disturbing than the odd police siren in the night. I am probably a light sleeper!

O2 is a short bus ride away or £7 in a 5pm cab from O2, £10 in a late evening cab from O2 after concert, £12 in an 8 seater cab from Angerstein to O2.

We didn't eat attention this hotel so can't comment on the food.

I have marked the rooms as average due to lack of hot water plus we asked for 3 ensuites - one room only had a shower cubicle - I had had dialogue with the hotel about needing ensuites as we didn't want our teenage children having to wander round looking to use shared bathrooms in the night so was a little surprised that we ended up with no toilet in one of the ensuites.

We would definitely stay again but be more explicit about our definition of ensuite.

• Stayed March 2013
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We booked last minute and got a triple for 3 lads downin London for the rugby at Twickenham.

We got a train out to Greenwich in the hope the hotel would be a short walk out of the centre. It isn't - it's nearly 2 miles out of Greenwich, but you get what you pay for I suppose.

When we got there, the beer (two decent real ales and all the lagers in the world) was pretty good, and they'd stopped doing food, so our host got us a takeaway menu and ket us eat in the bar.

The rooms were very, very clean, the single beds were very comfortable and we had a flat screen TV with all the digital channels.

In short - if your budget is tight, and you need to stay in London, then this is a good, clean and welcoming hotel at hostel prices.

Room Tip: Room 29 has a lovely view of the London skyline.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Plymouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed here on a Sunday night prior to a business meeting the following day. It is basic but good value for a well located pub. If all you are looking for is a comfortable bed for the night with clean bedding then this is the place. There was not an event on at the O2 so the hotel was very quiet and I had no problems with hot water. It is a 5 minute walk from the overground station which has a link to the DLR and underground.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
prague
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We originaly booked other hotel, but were moved here due to overbooking. I didn't like the hotel much however the pub downstairs is really nice. Bartender is a nice guy and have good selection of beers. :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Poole, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a no fuss, basic pub/hotel strategically positioned for the O2arena or a visit to Greenwich village and museums. The bus stop is right outside and being on the south side of the O2, returning from the concert was so easy avoiding all the queues for the tube. Clean and newly redecorated, good TV and friendly staff. The pub is popular and lively. I hope your room has a window that closes better and a shower with hot water, otherwise a good night sleep.

Room Tip: Check the windows and the hot water and that room is not adjacent to the shared toilet,
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Angerstein Hotel? Share your experiences!