“Boutique charming hotel with superb service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection

You added St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Caxton Street | Westminster, London SW1H 0QW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #56 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Boutique charming hotel with superb service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Staying at this hotel was a delight. We have stayed at many high end hotels in London, and this was the best experience. It has the charm and ambiance of a classic English hotel combined with the service and amenities of the best Marriot hotels. The service was exceptional, friendly, helpful and unobtrusive. The hotel has been recently renovated. The rooms, while on the small side are very comfortable and well equipped ( electrical outlets for US and other plugs so you don't have to bring a converter) and overlook a lovely garden. The breakfast was fabulous. There are lots of small sitting areas in the lobby areas that feel like a classic English style traditional hotel but with modern amenities. We would stay here again any time we are in London.

Room Tip: Pick a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Madam,
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us in December and it is good to read that you had a great time.
I am very proud of my team, so pleased you found them very friendly and helpful without being too overbearing. We like our guests to feel at home and individually special.
I was glad to read that you found the hotel had charm and ambiance and enjoyed the areas of the lobby that have sofas and chairs in different places to sit and watch the world go by. The lobby is quite a popular place for guests to sit as they feel at home and comfortable there.
I see you had breakfast with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed our wide selection of breakfast items. We do receive some lovely comments about how our breakfast sets you up for a day out sightseeing and how much there is to choose from.
Many of our guests say how beautiful our courtyard is and that it is a great place to sit especially in the Summer evenings. I am really happy that you liked this view and found your room great.
I look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in London.
Warm Regards
Douglas McHugh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Syosset, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

After three nights in England at two disappointing hotels my spirits were immediately lifted upon pulling into the courtyard of St Ermin's. My vacation finally felt the way it was supposed to! We were catered to the moment we arrived. Since it was New Year's Day people had been slow checking out and our room wasn't ready so our luggage was stored and placed in our room while we went off sightseeing. And what a room it was! We were upgraded to a beautiful two bathroom suite with a pullout sofa for my son. The master bath was bigger than the entire rooms we had been staying in previously. The suite and every detail was perfect right down the the cute, chocolate bees on our pillows.
The only downside was that we had to leave early to get back to New York to beat a snowstorm. I wish we could have spent more time there.
Now when people talk about the notoriously small rooms in London I tell them about St Ermin's...

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Dawn,
It was so delighted that you liked your upgraded room which was provided upon check in on New Year’s Day. These Suites are very spacious and are plenty big enough for a family especially with the two bathrooms.
I am pleased to read that my team stored your luggage for you and that you went off sightseeing and when you came back everything was in your room ready.
Our chocolate bees are a symbol of our own bees that we have on the third floor at St Ermin’s. We have several bee hives which can been seen from the walk way and provide us with our honey in the hotel. This time of year they are not so active as it is colder, but in the Spring and Summer they can be seen going in and out of the hives. If you revisit London you must go and find them.
Sorry to hear that you had to leave us early for New York due to storms and glad you arrived back safely.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back when you next return to London.
Warm Regards
Taunton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in recent months and when everything works well it is good but this is not maintained consistently. For example, on my most recent stay I experienced the following; indifferent attitude from front desk staff combined with a lack of understanding of Marriott rewards - I was told that I would have to pay for breakfast but as a Lifetime Gold member breakfast is complimentary; breakfast was not being served in the restaurant but in a poorer quality room further down the corridor - the decor and furniture were more 'roadside cafe' than Marriott hotel and the buffet was not up to the usual standard with a mediocre selection of cheeses and cold cuts and no smoked salmon. I then noticed that the restaurant was set for breakfast with the full normal buffet but this was being reserved for some 'special' guests!!; I have in my profile (for many years) a request for a room near the lift but what I was given was a room which turned out to be the furthest away.

Maybe I just expect too much, but having experienced Marriott around the world I think this hotel sometimes lets the brand down. It could be a great place if only it could get consistent performance and experience.

Room Tip: You could try booking through the Marriott website and expressing preferences but don't expect t...
Dear Sir,
I was very saddened to read your review as this is not at all indicative of the service levels I expect any guest to receive at St. Ermin’s.
I see that you stay regularly and that you have good stays with us, but on this occasion you didn’t find our service at a level that you found acceptable. I can only sincerely apologise for this and have already spoken to both my Front Office Manager regarding reception service levels and also my Food & Beverage Manager as breakfast is something that we usually receive very good comments about especially our continental breakfast having such a wide selection.
As a Marriott Rewards member your custom is very valued and I would love for you to continue to stay with us as I am sure we can prove that our service levels are to the standard that you expect.
Thank you for your very constructive feedback, which I do take very seriously and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Newport, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Nothing at all to criticize in this perfectly situated member of the Marriott collection. The reception,
cleanliness, decor - all top notch. Just our the door are the "must sees" of London, including Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, St. James Park, Buckingham Palace and more. Sure it's pricey, but this is London, no?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Beaune, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I chose this hotel due to an event closeby. Very conveniently located. Not on a busy road, a close distance to St James' Park & St James' Tube station. All positive !
Clean lobby (lot's of flowers aromas...), Clean roooms, not ultra large but convenient (in London you can really get some tiny rooms sometime), deep and confortable beds... amazing small but efficient bathroom (you cannot be 2 inside...).Personnal very helpful, luggages delivered very quickly... (sometime it takes ages), efficient and quick check in... I was listening to another guest's conversation when checking in and he was asking a late check out that was given with a smile and quite easily... (he was a high ranked customer). Perfect location, clean and modern. A perfect place to stay in London close to Westminster and St James's street.

Room Tip: Was on the 5th floor. Not too many floor actually. So maybe it was the reason of the quietness. Not...
Dear Christophe,
I am so pleased you chose St. Ermin’s to stay due to your event being very close by and that you found my team so very helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
Glad you liked your room and found the bed really comfortable. We do receive a lot of nice comments about our beds being great.
I noted your comment regarding the late checkout offered to another guest and we do where possible off this. It really depends on our occupancy on the day of departure, but we are always happy to look at this for a guest during their stay.
As you found us the perfect place to stay I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

The location is perfect just around the corner to a tube station and close to everything. Hotel is beautiful and the staff very helpful.

Must say that was very disappointed with the room size, very small room for 2 people, couldn't hardly fit the suitcases, also the room location was very far from the lift.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close the lift, we had to walk a lot to get to our room.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Monica,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us.
I have noted your comments regarding the size of room you were provided and am sorry that you felt this was on the small side for your requirements. The hotel is quite unique in the way it is built as it used to be a Victorian Apartment building and as it is ‘listed’ the structure had to remain the same and many guests love this uniqueness. Some of our rooms are larger than others and indeed have different views also. We do have larger rooms depending on the category booked and some of these also look over our beautiful Courtyard so when you next visit London one of these may be more suitable for you. Please do contact our reservations who would be happy to discuss the categories of rooms that we have as well as sizes.
I am pleased that overall you had a good stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back when next in London.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I heard about this hotel from a business colleague and based on his recommendation, I decided to try it. I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is very well located, just minutes from Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and just a slightly longer walk to Buckingham Palace. The rooms, although a bit small are very clean, comfy bed and most of all, the quiet location enables you to have a great sleep. Overall the food is quite good although I did have a bad experience with the fish and chips in the bar, the bar manager was more than accommodating and did not charge me for the meal. My only negative comment is about the internet. I was there on business and my internet connection was, at best, poor. I had to re-login about every 5-10 minutes which is unacceptable for a hotel of this calibre and very frustrating while trying to complete online business.

Dear Stevie,
I am glad that your colleague recommended St. Ermin’s to you and that you decided to stay with us.
We are in an ideal location for both business and pleasure as most places can be reached either by walking or taking public transport very close to the hotel.
Due to the unique way in which the hotel is built all of our rooms vary in shape and size as well as view so some rooms are larger than others.
I was very sorry to read that you found your meal in the Caxton Bar not to your liking, but am pleased that my manager solved this quickly for you. I can assure you that this is not indicative of the food served in the Caxton Bar and I can only apologise.
Thank you for your comments about the internet connection and I have already discussed this with my team so that this does not happen again.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel when you next come to London.
Douglas McHugh

Been to St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!