“Terrific location, good service but it suffers from London room syndrome...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Booking.com Expedia.com
St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Caxton Street | Westminster, London SW1H 0QW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
10,000 Bonus Points
Ranked #36 of 1,071 hotels in London
london
“Terrific location, good service but it suffers from London room syndrome...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A really nice hotel with staff who genuinely care. I stayed here for 4 nights. The food was good but beware - breakfast is super busy - but worth the wait. Unfortunately the well provisioned bar shuts at 1am which seems a little early when you get into your stride...all of us who stayed there had the typical central London hotel room syndrome whereby the bedrooms are barely big enough to swing a cat around in and all the deliveries start at 5am to avoid the traffic - please be quiet....I'd still stay here in future rather than monster chain hotels with their ubiquitous design.

Room Tip: Stay on the front of the hotel - early morning (5am) deliveries will wake you up if your room is on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased that you liked the hotel overall and that my team looked after you all during your stay with us.
I have noted your comments regarding the room size and we are quite unique in that all of our rooms are different shapes and sizes in different areas within the hotel and also by category. You are right to say that our courtyard facing rooms are generally quieter, as they face away from the main street.
It is lovely to read that you would like to return to the hotel in the future and I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your stay.

2,644 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Marriott has acquired this property, and they have refurbished it fairly recently. It's an old hotel, but is clean, looks fresh, and doesn't smell at all like so many remodeled, old hotels.

The hotel is located conveniently to Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, the National Gallery, St. James's Park, and Trafalgar Square. Short taxi rides will get you to many other notable places.

Supper at the restaurant was very good, and the service was attentive without being obtrusive. As a Marriott Gold customer, the breakfast buffet was free of charge. Breakfast was good but not great, the service there being a bit uneven. I observed that diners might wait five minutes or more for a cup of coffee. On the other hand, when a diner rose from his table to return to the buffet, staff swept in to clear away and reset the table. After this happened to me twice, I took time to alert staff that I intended to return.

The only persistent annoyance at the hotel is the WiFi, which is provided by Swisscom. The username/password combinations provided upon checking in, did not work. I was able to connect by using last name, room number, and email address. However, this was unreliable, more so on my Windows Phone than my Kindle Fire HD. Either way, it was problematic.

In fact, while browsing on my Kindle at breakfast, another guest asked how I managed to get my device connected. I demonstrated the method I'd used. She also had had no luck at all with the username/password sets she'd received upon check-in.

I hope that the hotel will review their deployment of WiFi services. When I mentioned this on checking out, the desk clerk asked it if I'd had trouble with the "Business" level of service or the "Free" service. At roughly USD300 per room-night, of course, the WiFi service is in no way "Free," and I expect the use of it to be reliable and convenient.

Finishing on a positive note, the housekeeping staff are very thorough in their tasks, respond promptly, and are very courteous to guests.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased that overall you had a great stay with us and that you really liked the way the building has been refurbished to keep its old heritage and history. Which it most definitely has lots of.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your supper in the Caxton Grill and that you found my team there very attentive.
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our breakfast and wifi service which I take on board and will be discussing this with all of my team to enhance this for future guests. It is always good to receive comments following a guest’s stay so that I can work with my team to improve areas if it is necessary.
I can see from your final comment that you thought that my housekeeping team were very thorough and I find it lovely that all of them were very quick to respond to you and in a courteous manner. I will pass on your comments to them as they will love to read this.
I hope you will be able to return to the hotel in the future as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back.
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at St Ermins in first week of. September before flying home to Australia. I booked this hotel almost 12 months after seeing reviews on Tripadvisor. Booking and paying well in advance meant we received a great room rate although non-refundable. The hotel was easy to find. It's a couple of minutes walk from St James Park tube station. It's only a few minutes walk to all the Westminster attractions, the Abbey, Big Ben, Churchill War Rooms and a few minutes walk to Buckingham Palace. The hotel has been beautifully renovated. Our room was small but very well presented and well laid out. No view but that did not matter. Quality furnishings and very comfortable bed. We did not eat breakfast in the hotel but on our last afternoon ate in the bar and enjoyed the steak sandwich (actually one of the best I have tasted) and an excellent glass of Pinot recommended by the staff member who served us. There are a number of restaurants close by and plenty of pubs. We splurged a little on our first night and ate at Quilon, a Michelin star Indian restaurant a few minutes walk from St Ermins which we loved so much we went back again for our last night in London. We had no problems getting wi fi in our room. My only issue was on our last day when I did our flight check in on the computer in the lobby. Reception gives you the log in details but you only have a 15 minute allocation of time on the Internet and the printer attached to the computer didn't work when I tried to print our boarding passes and then they disappeared off the screen because my allocated time had expired. Very frustrating! When I told a staff member of the problem they knew the printer did not work. I suggested they put a sign up to let people know but when we left a few hours later I noticed that hadn't been done. A minor criticism only. It would definitely not stop me staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am so glad you liked the refurbishment at the hotel as we took a long time to ensure that we bought it back to its old Victorian character, but that we also had a modern feel too.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your sandwich in the Caxton bar along with the recommendation of the wine to go with this. It is great to hear that my team in the bar helped you with decide on the wine which was to your liking.
Thank you for your feedback regarding the printer that is linked to the computer in the lobby. I will discuss this with my Front Office Manager to ensure that this is working in the future.
I look forward to the welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Edinboro,PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We only stayed here one night but enjoyed our room and service. The bed was comfortable. The shower was refreshing.

We did the high tea in the Caxton Grill and were most satisfied. The savory sandwiches and tasty desserts were delectable.

Room Tip: Our room did not have a view. If you are interested in a view ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review upon your return home.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and that you really liked our wonderful afternoon tea. We receive lots of lovely feedback about this.
I hope you will come and stay with us again in the future.
Glasgow, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights. First of all, hotel is lovely. Old building that has been beautifully restored. Although now a Marriott property, not one of those new, huge nondescript hotels that could be found anywhere. Lots of charm. We got upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite which was nice. Rooms small, but nice amenities. Marble bathroom, comfy bed, etc. because the hotel is located on a small out of the way street, even though in a great location near Buckingham Palace, there is very little noise as is a problem in many hotels in London. You are in the hustle and bustle and then turn onto Claxton Street ( where the hotel is located) and it becomes remarkable quiet. The staff were great and very helpful and friendly. The only reason I scored this hotel a 4 and not a 5 was because of the breakfast. First, the breakfast rooms ( the dining room and pub area) leave a lot to be desired in terms of decor, especially the pub area where the furniture is a mish mash of different styles, with many of the chairs uncomfortable and the tables to low to use for dining. The continental breakfast was very nice. Good selection and nicely presented. The full breakfast was more of a problem. All 3 mornings I ordered the same thing, a ham and cheese omelette. The first morning it was dinky and not cooked enough. The second morning it was Huge and really over cooked ( which for me is hard to do since I like my eggs cooked til rubbery) and the third morning it was perfect. Thus, no consistency. Also, breakfast seemed very chaotic to me in terms of guests and staff roaming around. Just way too hectic for first thing in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,
It is lovely to read that you loved our old building and that you found it quiet once turning in to Caxton Street from the main road. We are quite lucky with our position.
Thank you for your feedback regarding breakfast , which is greatly appreciated and I will certainly discuss this with our Head Chef so that he can build this in to his training schedule. I can only apologise that your omelette was not cooked as required, but am pleased that we perfected this in the end.
I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay at St Ermin’s and thank you for taking the time to write your very welcomed review.
Whitford, Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

St Ermins is in an excellent position for anyone wanting to access the main tourist attractions of London.

We stayed two nights on a short trip to London. The foyer is charming and quite unusual. The room was small but well appointed. Shower over bath, comfortable bed, no noise issues, coffee and tea plus well stocked mini bar for anyone wishing to use it.

The lifts are cramped and small which is to be expected in a building of this era. The breakfast selections were excellent. A good variety of continental items including French yoghurt, breads, pastries and fresh fruit salad. We had the cooked breakfast option and would recommend if you like to start the day well prepared.

We had one meal in the Caxton Grill and were impressed with the quality. Extensive wine list including an excellent NZ Organic Sav, fresh warm selection of breads to start, tasty mains and exceptional desserts in both taste and presentation. We felt the meal represented good value for money and although we were hesitant to eat in (arrived back late and had few options) we enjoyed the experience and would highly recommend.

The concierge were helpful and informative but we felt they were slightly offhand. The bellhops were exceptional organizing a taxi quickly and seen interacting with a young new arrival with friendly welcoming banter. A nice greeting for tired travellers.

A nice quality centrally located hotel. Good food, overall good service and a nice restful clean room fairly typical of this type and era of building.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased that you found your room comfortable, quiet and clean. It is also nice to read that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and your meal in the Caxton Grill. We do have a great selection of wines so I am glad that you found one you liked.
We are very lucky to be in the position that we are and we receive lots of nice comments regarding how relaxing and quiet it is after a long days sightseeing so it is nice to read that you loved it too.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your return home and I hope we will welcome you back again.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel is unique in its decor. The front lobby has definite old world charm. The rooms are beautifully decorated, spacious and well laid out. However, the front desk was not particularly welcoming everytime I approached the counter. We could only get wifi in the lobby. Everyone at hotel seemed confused as to why we couldn't get it in our room. Breakfast was 2 tiered: one price for continental and a more money to extent it to the hot buffet. Hmm. Concierge was ok but never seemed to be familiar with the places we wanted to go. Their recommendation for a restaurant nearby was an outdoor shopping mall. The only truly friendly employees at this hotel were the bellhops who always went out of their way to help with our luggage and to get us a taxi, which also was weird because they had to leave the hotel, go down the street and hail one down. Would I go again? Probably not. Would like to try a hotel that is not as hard to find next time. Its location is a little odd.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am pleased that you found the hotel unique in its décor and charm.
Thank you for your feedback about my front desk and concierge team. I take all reviews very seriously and will certainly be discussing your comments with my team to ensure that any training that is required is carried out to prevent this happening again. I can only apologise for this lack of service and can assure you that this is not indicative or our usual service level.
I was surprised to read that you found our location a little odd as we do receive very good feedback regarding this and I am sorry that you felt it was a little hard to find.
I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel for a second stay in the future.
Douglas McHugh

Been to St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!