“Outstanding week!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection

Save Saved
You added St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection to your Saves list
St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Caxton Street | Westminster, London SW1H 0QW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #37 of 1,075 hotels in London
Half Moon Bay, California
“Outstanding week!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

St. Ermin's Hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in my life. I have travelled extensively for business and pleasure. I can say without qualifications, it was the best and I am not an easy customer. I took our daughters, 8 and 11, for a week in London. We stayed at St. Ermin's for a week and had a number of difficulties. Upon arriving, the layout of the first room was not ideal and they very seamlessly and quickly put us into a room that worked better. My daughter sprained her ankle on the first day. When every wheelchair in London was already rented, they loaned us a hotel wheelchair, found a medical supplies store to buy her an ankle boot and made a very stressful situation manageable. Every staff member was helpful, cheerful, and positive. The restaurant was great, room service fantastic. The beds were sumptuous. And the price was reasonable. I kept thinking they would mess up but they didn't. I cannot recommend it highly enough. We will return again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

2,858 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
New Forest, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with continental breakfast. Although the room wasn't ready for our 2pm check in we were given a complimentary drinks voucher so enjoyed a nice cold drink on the sun terrace. The room was ready within 50 mins. Although nit the biggest bedroom the bedding was clean, crisp and comfortable. The bathroom was large, well equipped and extremely clean.
The breakfast was excellent, the service prompt and efficient. Good choice of cereal, lovely fresh fruit salad and freshly squeezed juice.
Had a lovely time, would definitely recommend!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
StErmins, General Manager at St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your review via Trip Advisor following your stay with us.

I am sorry that we could not offer you an early check in on this occasion, but pleased that our team looked after you whilst you were waiting to go to your room.

Our guests quite often comment on how our bedding is crisp, clean and comfortable which is the standard we aim to achieve throughout all bedrooms.

We are quite unique in that all our rooms are different in size so some can be larger than others depending on their location in the hotel.

I will pass on your positive feedback to the team.

Kind Regards
Douglas McHugh
Hudson, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the St. Ermins hotel for 4 nights in July 2013 including our arrival night from the US. The desk staff was courteous and friendly and attentive. The lobby is impressive to say the least.

The room was spacious for an executive king and was clean and the conditioned air worked amazingly well. The only hiccup was on the third morning we woke to find we had absolutely no cold water. The fault was in the area of the hotel we were staying in and had halted the flow of cold water to several rooms. It was unfortunate but maintenance issues do happen and this one just happened to happen to us. We were faced with the choice between using a co-travelers shower or a vacant room on another floor or using a vacant room across the building. The issue was resolved by the evening and we were offered a free drink at the bar for the inconvenience. (I turned it down and we showered at our co-travelers room in case you were wondering.)

My only real irritations were the restaurant in the hotel otherwise known as The Caxton Grill (Bar and Terrace respectively) The Grills food was good enough (aside from 2 overdone steaks and a forgotten salad) and the staff was fairly attentive and accurate about 90 percent of the time. The presentation was suburb (I won't tell you...it will ruin the surprise!)

The breakfast offerings were fairly standard for England and were prepared without flair. The location of the food was problematic but as long as
everyone kept aware of their surrounding it seemed to work. I never heard any crashing plates or crunching toes, which is a plus!

The Bars outer seating area was another story entirely. While the bartenders were knowledgable and polite and poured a proper pint the waitstaff serving the bar area were forgetful, inaccurate and clumsy. They almost seemed to not know their own menu. inexcusable for any staff in a four star establishment to not know the menu front to back and be able to describe it to the guests. Drinks were forgotten and the menu items weren't delivered the same from one day to the next. That is to say, your salt beef (corned beef) sandwich would be the same in the menu from day to day but what was served was drastically different from day to day. (I wondered if the chefs in the daytime were in training or sipping the cooking sherry.) At several points we felt as if we were ignored altogether. I had to go and find the waitress and tell her we wanted to order food after waiting for almost 40 minutes and watching her pass our table to bring drinks and food to another party. After waiting for almost 70 minutes for our meal to come out I watched a (non american, but I don't know if it mattered) family of seven get their meals in about 20 minutes after ordering. Not what I expected considering their high recommendations and awards.

I would NOT recommend eating at the Caxton not because of the quality of the food (about 3 out of 5) but on the lack of quality and professionalism of the service (about 1 out of 5) I spent about a decade in the food service field and in my opinion their staff needs better supervision and training.

St. Ermins is within easy walking distance from Buckingham Palace (see the 'changing of the guards'), Westminster Abby, and St. James Station. There are many other sights in reasonable walking distance and the sight seeing busses are a stones throw away. The staff was helpful in pointing out the local tourist spots and calling for taxis when we needed them. The location of this hotel is simply amazing.

In closing, I would absolutely stay at the St. Ermins again....but I'll head to a local pub for my pint and fish and chips.

Hope you enjoyed my review and I'll have several more to post over this vacation.

Justin

Room Tip: Rooms facing the driveway seemed to be the quietest.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed 3 days at St. Ermins. An oasis in the heart of Westminster. Beautifully appointed. Classical yet modern. Helpful staff. Lovely buffet breakfast. Complimentary milk and cookies a nice touch. An excellent location with St. James Park underground around the corner and Victoria station not far away. Mel, Dhiren and Sahil.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Stayed at this hotel week commencing July 8th 2013. Although the hotel itself is in a prime location the staff leave a lot to be desired especially the consierge staff who came across as rather rude!
Our luggage was lost and we were delayed because of this. A little more warmth and friendliness from the staff would go a long way in encouraging people to re-book.
I belive this hotel as recently been acquired by Marriott so lets hope the staff can benefit from the excellent 'Marriott training standards' and 'staff execellence' that we are used to.

Allentown, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a wonderful place to stay when in London. Looking at previous reviews, I agree with the comments that talk about the great service, lovely rooms, perfect location, and all the other positives that truly describe this super hotel.
For breakfast, I would recommend a bite at one of the many small shops in the neighborhood that have juice, coffee, and delicious pastries. We ate in the hotel restaurant one morning and since I don’t eat much for breakfast, I asked if I could order from the menu instead of one of the two buffets. They said yes and I ordered two scrambled eggs and toast. The toast didn’t come until well after I had finished the eggs, so I didn’t eat it, and then they charged for the smaller buffet and said that was the way they did it.
The other issue we had was that when it was time for us to leave, they couldn’t find the two cold packs that I had left earlier in the week to be kept in a freezer. The packs were for a medication that needs to be kept cold and they fit into a traveling container. They searched all over but couldn’t locate them so ran out to a pharmacy to get a gel pack. I appreciated their trying to solve the problem but there wasn’t time to freeze the gel packs for the trip to the cruise ship and the gel packs only hold a freeze for about an hour and the flight home was twelve hours. So, I lost two weeks of a very expensive medication. But they tried hard to rectify the situation and life happens!!
I would definitely recommend St. Ermin’s if you’re going to be in London. We certainly would go there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our four night stay in this hotel. Location is perfect for access to surrounding areas of Buckingham Palace, Victoria, Green Park and St James Park, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben and right around the corner from St James Underground station.

Free fast wi-fi - very important these days for us. Room had everything. Only negative is that it was a bit small for the two of us and there was an area next to the desk that one person had to move aside if the other wanted to get past. Husband said it needed traffic lights.

Excellent service with staff and concierge being very very helpful. Breakfast at the hotel is somewhat expensive, so we just ate at one of the many cafes near the hotel. A couple of new ones have come up in the past year and serve excellent breakfasts for a quarter of the price.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. Ermin's Hotel - Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!