“Detour around the DLR sucks” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ibis Styles London Excel

You added Ibis Styles London Excel to your Saves list
Ibis Styles London Excel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   272 Victoria Dock Road, London E16 3BY, England (Formerly Custom House Hotel) (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Ranked #561 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Marina, California
“Detour around the DLR sucks”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

From the convention center to the hotel is usually a short walk. Construction on the DLR has been going on for years now. You have to walk from the excel center over a makeshift bridge, down some stairs, loop around away from the hotel and then you go through some apartment complexes/backyards/alleyways that are pretty sketchy late at night. I wasn't familiar with the area but a london native said don't walk it alone at night. Naturally I ignored her suggestions and would walk it pretty drunk around 1 am for 4 days straight. I'm 6'3" 220lbs and I was a little nervous walking that route.

The hotel is good (small showers though
The pub has good food,
standard terrible beers (no "real" english beers, just a bunch of carlsberg, budweiswer, strongbow, becks etc..)
and the service there was right on point with English restaurants; terrible by US standards (i.e. working for the tip) but standard for the smug, standoffish, not giving two dumps if you enjoy your $4 beers or not.

All in all, I would stay at the other ibis in front of the convention center.

Room Tip: stay at the other ibis a few minutes away.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
IbisStylesLonExCel, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Sir

Thank you for the review of your stay at our hotel and we're sorry we failed to meet your expectations.

In response to these comments our Pub does serve a choice of beers, ales and wines which suits a variety of tastes with freshly cooked food items available. Our prices are cheaper than other onsite hotels and our apologies if this you thought this was expensive, we've just reviewed the prices and reduced accordingly.

I have given your comments about the service to our F & B Manager to review and appreciate your input on this.

We do look forward to welcoming you back next time you're in London

Ibis Styles London ExCel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
East midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here the night before an examination . The staff were professional and accommodating and this was appreciated.
The room was average, clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was so tiny one could hardly turn round. The other design flaw was the huge step up to access the bathroom. Had this been a person who couldn't manage the step or missing ones footing in the dark in the middle of the night when visiting the bathroom this does not bear thinking about!
The TV was poor, the reception so bad I had to ask for assistance twice. The second. Time the problem was sorted but I wasn't impressed especially having paid £70 for one night! The tea and coffee making facilities were adequate but the toiletries were of a poor standard.
The person next door decided to play loud music at 5 am for half an hour and doors were banged through the night. Overall not impressed! I would return but only if I have to sit other exams, which I hope i don't!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IbisStylesLonExCel, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the review and we're sorry we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

We do have a choice of shower rooms in the hotel, all are approved by Ibis and if any guest does have an issue with steps, then an accessible room is allocated. These steps are only small and not generally a problem.

Thank you for the feedback with your TV, this has since been looked at by maintenance and dealt with.

Our rates fluctuate according to demand but do always represent great value for money and are inline with our competitors in the area; ours rates however include a hot buffet breakfast, free Wi-Fi as well as new beds in every room.

Thank you for your feedback and we do hope to be able to look after you again

Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed here in February for one night with my boyfriend as we had a family event on the outskirts of London and were then planning to make a weekend of it.

Booked this hotel through a corporate deal as I work for a University and it was one of the cheapest options. Have stayed at Ibis hotels before but not Ibis styles. Was a bit concerned when reading some of the reviews but these are very subjective so went with an open mind.

Upon arrival our room was ready and the guy on reception friendly and helpful. This hotel is very easy to get to (take the DLR to Custom House). The room was a good size however had thin walls as heard our neighbours talking loudnly and playing music.

Breakfast was included in our rate and though it states continental when you book there was actually bacon, sausgages, egg and beans available. Good choice of food that was replenished regularly. We also had a drink in the bar attached to the hotel which was good value and a nice place to drink, didn't eat there but the food looked good.

Would stay again and use a base for London. Takes about 20-25 minutes to get to Central London. Take the DLR to Shadwell then change for the DLR to Bank.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Clare

Thanks for the review of your stay and glad to hear you liked us.

I'll have a look at the listing about breakfast as it is a full Englsih breakfast thats included, so 5 hot tasty items!

Our location is great for getting in to see the attractions and a quick tip is to change onto the Jubilee Line at Canning Town and is then rapid to The Shard, The London Eye etc.

Hope to see you soon and appreciated.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

The hotel is very easy to find, staff were very nice when I checked in.
The room as clean, towels were provided.
Food was however expensive, but of course it was hotel food. You were able to get takeaway though, which is what i did.
Breakfast was good, served at 6-10. But the breakfast room was pretty small so people were finding it hard to find seats
Overall experience was good, i stayed there for my exams (lol) so it was an easy environment to revise in. Would definitely be going back

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the review of your recent at our hotel and we're pleased you enjoyed yourself.

We've got a great team as well as a location giving easy access to ExCel and the attractions with a choice of eateries in the hotel including our new coffee shop.

We do hope to see you again soon and many thanks

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

Already booked here when I saw the most recent reviews and felt really put off. However I was pleased the accommodation so if anyone else is concerned you might be reassured by my findings. We paid £150 for 2 nights, friday and saturday, without breakfast. We travelled on the Emirates cable car and walked to the hotel, passing a tesco and Nisa express, and several eating places, although we didn't try them as we took a packed meal in with us. There is some construction between the hotel and the station (Custom House) but it was well cordoned off and seemed to be an ongoing work in progress and not intimidating or overly noisy. Hotel reception staff were friendly and pleasant, and efficient. We had a good sized double room, with opening window and blind, large counter top, very comfy double bed with good pillows, hanging space, shelf areas and side cabinet, flat screen tv, one chair and a very adequate bathroom. Good power shower and oodles of hot water at the sink. Everything was spotlessly clean. We weren't bothered by noise, shouting or aircraft - all were heard briefly at some point, but not to the point of being annoying. The bathroom had liquid and bar soap provided. There was no safe, which we would have liked, and we couldn't find any heating controls, and the room was a bit too warm for us, but we were able to open the window so no real problem. We left at 10 am, but I think check was 11am which is very reasonable. The coffee and tea allowance was minimal, stingy even, so if you like herb tea or hot chocolate, take your own. Bath towels were provided and changed, and overall I really couldn't find anything to criticise. The room was very clean, and the lighting was well thought out. For 3* I thought it was a good experience. I would have liked a second chair as there was two of us, but I'm sure they would have found us one if I had asked. Presumably you would only choose this hotel if visiting the Excel, and for this it was absolutely convenient and I am glad we chose it. We did not eat at the hotel so cannot comment on the food aspect. I have taken a star off my overall rating because I think it was overpriced without breakfast.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor at the back of the hotel. I have some photos which I will add if possib...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
IbisStylesLonExCel, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the review of your stay and the feedback about your stay with us.

We really appreciate the positive information about your stay and this has been given to the staff for them to see as well.

All our rates do include breakfast and is served on the 1st floor Breakfast Room, I'm sorry if you missed out on this but do hope you get to enjoy this on your next trip.

Thanks again and see you soon

challenger08
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

I booked this at short notice to attend an early morning business meeting near Excel. I booked through LastMinute. I always phone in advance to confirm my booking and arrival time - and I'm glad I did. The hotel did not have a record of my booking, but were very helpful in finding the booking and sorting out my accommodation. Apparently, bookings made through sites other than the hotels own sometimes don't get processed straight way - hence the initial problem.

The hotel is very good value for money - wifi and all you can eat breakfast included. I paid an additional £10 for overnight car parking in a secure car park.
Rooms are on the small side, but I found the beds comfortable and had a good nights sleep. Everything was exceptionally clean.
Despite being directly opposite the Docklands Light Railway I never heard a sound.
Good size TV with reasonable choice of free view channels, tea and coffee facilities all fine. The bathroom was a curiosity - slightly larger than an airplane loo, but well lit and with all essentials there. The shower was a little tight - a semi-circular white opaque shower door closed, forming a narrow cylinder shaped cubicle - a larger or wider person than I might find it a little too small for comfort.
The staff were excellent - helpful, welcoming and efficient. This was true of the reception staff, the guy answering the phone, the restaurant staff and the others around and about the hotel.There was a cafe and a restaurant downstairs which looked fine and were pretty busy, but I didn't have time t try them sadly.
Overall very pleased with this Ibis Style - I'll stay again for business but also for events at the O2 and Excel.

Room Tip: Phone in advance to confirm when booking through a web-based agent.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sir / Madam

Thank you for the review of oyur recent stay and we appreciate your feedback.

its always a pleasure to be of service and we're glad you liked our hotel, the location and the great service.

Please do always call us for best rates or just check out our own site for discounted offers and we do look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I planned on staying here for a business trip because it was close to the convention center however when I checked in I couldn't stay. The rooms are so small I couldn't even open my suitcase and leave it anywhere. Then I went into the bathroom and couldn't believe how small it was not to mention there is NO counter space to put anything and not even a bar of soap! There is so much construction going on outside and the walk to the convention center is absolutely scary. There is absolutely no place around to eat or do anything so you have to take a cab anywhere you want to go. The price was $180 pounds per night so I packed up and moved to a wonderful 5 star hotel that was a couple of pounds more and was absolutely wonderful. I wouldn never stay with this chain again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IbisStylesLonExCel, Manager at Ibis Styles London Excel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear Madam

With regards to the 2nd review of your stay posted here, we are aware of your concerns and sadly were unable to meet your expectations on this occasion having discussed these with you.

Our hotel is advertised as a 3 star property and therefore will not be to the same standard as a 5 star where you found something to your liking.

Thank you for your further feedback and we wish you well.

Ibis Styles London ExCel

Been to Ibis Styles London Excel? Share your experiences!