“Better than Turkey” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
“Better than Turkey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Due to my wife being Turkish, I've had the luxury of visiting Turkey several times a year for the last decade. We've eaten some amazing meals at some dazzling places, from Istanbul down to Antalya. But Gokyuzu hands down is the best she, or I, have had anywhere.

I've eaten here a lot, so in no particular order, here are my personal favs:

- Lahmacun: If you don't know what this is, you must try it. It's traditional Turkish pizza. Razor thin, and meant to be eaten w/salad burrito-style. Freshly made
- Cop Sis: Small, marinated cubes of lamb. Melts in your mouth.
- Adana: Ground lamb, marinated
- Bulgar: Like rice, but way better. Cracked wheat.

Can't say enough about the staff and the food. Well worth the hike, and we come from Richmond!

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I visit this restaurant very often and it's always packed, definitely the most popular restaurant on Green Lanes. The food is the best Turkish I have ever had and the service is always excellent and great value for money. You receive complementary bread, cacik and salad which is very nice. Staff are very helpful, quick and welcoming. I can't fault it at all! Definitely worth going to.

“Go hungry!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Was recommended to me by a friend, so gave it a try this afternoon. Welcomed with hot Turkish bread and tzaki, bread is the best Turkish bread I have had in a restaurant. There salad is amazing too, well seasoned and fresh n crunchy and plenty of! I Would go here for th bread and salad alone! We had between 3 of us the mezzo platter for £31.50, exceptional value for money, we couldn't eat it all, Would have served 4 adults! Lovely, buzzy place, busy, and lots of Turkish families, always a good sign that the food is good. Well done! B back soon!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Try the platter!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Have been here quite a few times and it's great value in here. Really, really nice Turkish food and the meat platter is an absolute bargain. Several big guys couldn't even finish the platter for three.

Crawley, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere, great food, excellent value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Heard about this restaurant many times and has always been busy when we've intended to go.
Was told we had to wait 5 minutes for a table, but got one a lot quicker.

Receive free complementary bread and tzatziki while we're waiting, which is always nice.

Staff were very helpful. Ordered a lahmacun and a full platter which pretty much has all the meats along with rice and salad etc. Ordered their cherry juice but went through it very quickly and kept ordering more. Don't know if it comes from a carton or is made in house, but very nice nonetheless.

They brought it quick, and the food was really nice. Didn't blow me away, and not the best I had, but still good. The platter was big enough for 4 people and the lahmacun was in the top 5 I've tasted, so overall this place was a winner.

Came to just over £40, so not bad for a decent meal at just over £10 each.

Very similar to Devram opposite, although this place seems a lot busier. Hard to separate the 2, but I think this just edges Devram out.

• Visited August 2013