“okay-needs imporvement” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tennyson Guest House

Tennyson Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Tennyson Guest House
1 Tennyson Road, London E17 8PR, England   |
Ranked #437 of 517 London B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“okay-needs imporvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I got a private single room for a really cheap price. the person running the place was really nice and helpful. the bathroom was clean and the room seemed clean, however it did smell odd. the walls were paper thin so you can hear everything. The kitchen was discusting and there were no cooking utensils or plates to use. the location was okay because there was a shopping mall and supermarket close by. I would stay here again IF the kitchen was upgraded because it was a good price and i liked the location close to shops.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

15 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I wonder which planet the 3 star reviewer hails from. Place looks like a slum. My room stank of tobacco; filthy curtains, floors unswept, litter in room on arrival, drying sheets over banisters. I posted negative review on Travelstay. TH came back with list of irrelevances: I shouldn't expect hotel standard (true, but I do expect clean); I had a big room (so what? It was a big rather than little dive. I'd prefer small, clean and cheery any day); I took 5 days to post (so? I'm busy. Since when did a 5 day gap between stay and review invalidate the latter?) These guys are clutching at straws when they'd do better to take honest feedback on the chin - and mend their ways.

In fact TH is more than one house. Expect to be texted on day of arrival, and told to go to a different house. That happened to me, though to be honest I was glad. The original house on Tennyson Rd looked like it was about to be squatted. The Gosport Rd house I was redirected to looked slightly better from outside. Only inside do the horrors start.

Advice? STAY WELL AWAY. There are better places in this price bracket.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Malton, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have had to click 1 circle to submit this review but wanted to give it none.
It was an awful experience and the adjectives dire, rank, filthy and disgusting do not come close to describing the property.
We were a group of 5 and after searching in the shared kitchen for cups [including looking in the drawers!] we were given 3 mugs and a glass tumbler.
I realise it is a 'budget' place but expect a certain standard of cleanliness.
I would not recommend this to my worst enemy.
I have never written a review before but wanted to warn all travellers to stay away.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

on arrival we werent expected, which to be fair on arrival we didnt expect the grotty, weed infested, flakey pained, dirty curtained house TO BE a guest house....
we were told to go away until 1400 (check in time) it was 1330. i was told they'd text me when we could check in.. this came at 1507.

On returning to this dive we were told we would now be put into their sister house 100 yards up the road, so we marched up to this other house. 117 gosport road.
We were given the triple room on the ground floor and a double room on the first floor. Neither was cleaner than the other.
There was graffitti on the walls, the beds, mattresses and sheets were stained, there wasn't any televisions in the rooms. there was a dirty, saggy armchair in the downstairs room which i wouldnt have let a dog sit on.
The carpets were filty, stained, grimey and gritty. I had booked with my 2 children who couldnt understand why they couldnt sit or play on the floor but the dirt down there was a hygiene risk.
There wasnt any crockery, cutlery or any refreshments. However there WAS mouldy and out of date food in the filthy fridge. We eventually got the 'owner' (manager??) to bring us some mugs, for a party of 5 we were given 2 mugs, one glass tumbler and 2 plastic plates.

The shower room/toilet obviously hadnt seen a cleaning cloth in its lifetime, and you will be left feeling like you want a shower after you've stepped out of the shower. its THAT dirty.
The bath upstairs faired no better, the water ran luke warm and i was disgusted that i had to bathe my children in such filthy surroundings.

The houses are an age away from the tube station however it is near an over ground station that is quite near, BUT on getting to this station we found there wouldnt be another train for 95 mins, so hardly a service worth operating.

We bought a 'picnic' tea but decided to eat in a park nearby in order to stay out of these rooms, however the rats that ran past us as we sat on a bench but a kybosh on THAT idea.

Don't waste your money in staying here, there's plenty of 'last minute deals' in proper hotels that will match this price.

Room Tip: book elsewhere