“Lovely - but tiny!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Hampshire
“Lovely - but tiny!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked a lunch here for my mum as a mother's day present. I really couldn't believe how tiny it was when we walked past!

The location says Covent Garden, which it is technically, but also worth noting that you can get to it very easily if you have walked over Waterloo bridge. We came in to Waterloo station then got the tube to Covent Garden and walked from there, but actually it would have been just as easy to walk from Waterloo.

I have to be honest that when I walked in, I wasn't sure it would be up to much. It is very, very tiny and the tables seemed quite close together. The chairs also looked really uncomfortable! We were seated in the corner and maybe were a little bit cramped, but it was actually perfectly comfortable. We did have to ask for other people's coats to be moved as the owner put them on the coat hook on the wall, meaning they were hanging over our table, but this was done for us.

We were given the menus and chose a bottle of champagne and while we were enjoying that, we ordered food as well. We really enjoyed the champagne (in hindsight I probably should have asked for help in choosing the right one, but what we had was fine) but the thing that really made the place was the food. We ordered a tartine and the terrine de jour, which were both absolutely delicious. We really couldn't fault the flavours or the presentation at all. All the ingredients are obviously high quality.

Then came the Mont d'or sharing board which we had with a further glass of champagne each. The board was made up of giant baked cheese with various salamis and meats, new potatoes, pickles, salad and breads. This was absolutely spectacular and we ate as much as we could, but even we had to leave a few bits.

With the champagne and all the food it certainly wasn't a cheap lunch (cost was about £120 for both of us) but it was a lovely experience which we both really really enjoyed. And you could certainly order less food and still be full! The only thing I would change about the place is the space, because you don't have a lot of room and you have to squeeze past people to get to the toilets or when you want to leave. None of that would stop me going back again though!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“French better than France”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very nice place, and extremely nice service. The people there are there for you, very pro and very nice. Normally in France you go in restaurant for the food, but you never expect a service of quality, im a little disappointed that I had to go to London to find a place that combine both, but definitely happy that i discover this restaurant, and I for sure recommend anyone that likes good food, and nice ambiance to try it out!

chester
“"Great place"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went here for a pre-theatre treat. It was perfect! Such a large selection of specialised small vineyard champagnes with very knowledgeable staff. The food was of a very high standard. We choose a selection of several dishes, including a cold meats platter & cheese board which we shared and worked beautifully with the champagne. This really is a fantastic place and worth the visit.

• Visited January 2013
Grenoble, France
“the French touch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Some friends of mine took me there there for my birthday and it was such a great idea! I'm not a specialist of champagne but my friends really enjoyed it. The staff is so warm and helpful and the tasty cheese reminded me of France.

London
“Great evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went to a champagne and cheese tasting here with 2 friends last night – for those who enjoy champagne and cheese this is a perfect evening! Maud and Remi were both friendly and very knowledgable. I would highly recommend! xx

Visited March 2013