“one night stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City

Save Saved
You added Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City to your Saves list
Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10B Chestnut Plaza | Westfield-Stratford City, London E20 1GL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Special Weekend Rate!
Ranked #30 of 1,073 hotels in London
Braunton, England, United Kingdom
“one night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just stayed for one night, and working near by at the olympic park, it was a perfect location. The only down side is finding it from the tube station, you have to go up in Westfield shopping area and along to find the hotel. Everything else was perfect and staff were great. I will be staying again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

536 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have been working in London since December 2012 and needed a place to stay during the week that was not just a hotel room, but somewhere that felt homely, safe and where I could relax at the end of each day. I also wanted a place to stay where my wife could travel down and stay over too, which again, needed to be more than just a room.

The rooms offer so much more than a bed and bathroom, for example, a kitchen and a household fridge, and that has given us the choice of whether we eat in or out.

The rooms are spacious, well equipped and very comfortable. The view to the rest of London is brilliant.

The location of Staybridge is excellent and not only are the transport links easy to access anywhere in London, but the place feels safe. That is so reassuring for my wife who has the opportunity to leave the accommodation on her own and seek out the sights.

Now the staff. Always listen. Welcoming. Happy to help. Treated like a relative not a client (subtle but very much appreciated when away from home).

Summary: 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Keep at it team
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We stayed overnight for a bit sightseeing and shopping. It is right in the mix of Westfield Stratford, which is nice after long day of shopping. Staff were very good, we had a few issue s after checking in but everything was sorted for us with a smile especially Tim, much appreciated . The decor as a whole was neutral, relaxed and modern, right up my alley. Our room had a kitchenette and living area separate from the bedroom and bathroom. My husband has stayed in a Staybridge before, he said I would love it and I did. We will be staying longer next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

The best value for money I ever got in a London hotel. The building is new and they are doing a good job keeping it fresh and clean. Quick and extremely friendly check in, spacious and quiet room, free Internet, gym - really lovely place. On top of that the breakfast is complimentary with lots of choice of food and drink and they give you free wine/beer, cheese and snacks on some evenings.
The service is most friendly I've ever encountered. Definitely my choice on next visits to London.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel. It is so modern, stylish and chic. The staff is really nice and friendly, also very helpful. My room was clean and i liked the way they put everything. I had a kitchenette which was helpful. The bathroom had a spacious shower. The kingsize bed and the sofa are just perfect after a long day of work and a long afternoon/evening of shopping. The shopping center is just in front of the hotel which was perfect for me. There were sales: i shop, i drop in my room, i shop again. No need to carry all heavy bags!!!!
The minus point is the breakfast: more choices would be better.

• Stayed July 2013
San Mateo, California, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Truth be known, I was biased toward giving this property a 4 point rating – at minimum – from the start, based on glowing reviews from TripAdvisor. However, too many unfortunate “hiccups” along the way – during our 5 night stay! – accumulated to bring the overall assessment down a couple of pegs?

To start, we had a bit of an awkward experience attempting to reach the hotel lobby area itself?! Specifically, I sort of realized – based on TripAdvisor info – that the hotel had no direct driveway access. But I wasn’t 100% certain what to expect? And neither did the airport transfer service we hired to take us there? So we ended up having to drive through a large short-term pay garage to the foot of an escalator bank, which led, in turn, up to an open Westfield shopping mall plaza area. So the hotel itself is literally in the middle of a shopping mall. Thereupon we were responsible for lugging our heavy luggage (LOL) the remainder of the way (approximately an American football field’s length in distance – 50 yards!) to the ground level of the property – which was curiously where the concierge station was located. It was also isolated from the main check-in area which was another elevator’s ride away… up on the 12th floor!

Alternatively, a 2nd elevator bank on the ground level took one up to the 3rd floor check-in area for the Holiday Inn, as the two properties (H. Inn and Staybridge Suites) share the same building in common – just different “towers”. So first tip for anybody reading this…is that it’s highly recommended that you coordinate transportation arrangements beforehand directly with the hotel – even if you’re making independent preparations! At the very least they can provide guidance on the most convenient drop off /pick up points (i.e. – the Cow Pub on the shopping center’s perimeter it turns out!) and/ or arrange for bell hop assistance, to help avoid the types of logistical challenges we encountered.

On that note, the staff there was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Upon check-in they informed us straight away about the free wine and cheese event for hotel guests held every Tuesday – Thursday evenings from 6:30-7:30 p.m., which was an unexpected perk. We also unexpectedly found out that the daily breakfast there was complimentary for ALL guests – which said so right there on the room entry cards! This news was a bit of a surprise for us, as we’d paid extra for breakfast inclusion through our EXPEDIA booking. Thus be cautious of web sites which improperly charge extra for this?

The room itself was a bit on the compact side, as far as “suites” go anyway? However, it was fully equipped with a full complement of cooking utensils, silverware, plates, fridge, microwave, etc., …anything suitable for a standard level of apartment living. On the downside, though, there were remnants of leftover food from the prior tenant’s stay, remaining in the refrigerator; AND the living room T.V. – a really nice Sony flat screen I might add – wouldn’t work (although the bedroom T.V. was fully functional). Add to this the disappointing view we had of air ducts and pipes from the roof top of the adjoining building. Unfortunately, all rooms overlooking Olympic Park were taken, although we’d requested upon booking. Anyway, all of this contributed to a rather unsettling “break in” period. Good news, though, was that following our first 2 nights there (out of 5) the front desk actually honored our request for a room with Olympic Park view, after we’d largely relinquished hope that this would ever occur. Thus, it was a pleasant surprise, as we hadn’t pressed the matter at all, beyond casually mentioning our desire for a potential room change on day 1.

Elsewise the Staybridge Suites’ East London – Stratford City location certainly offered up a veritable shopper’s and gambler’s mecca. Because as previously mentioned, it sits smack dab in the midst of what happens to be Europe’s largest shopping center – the New Westfield Shopping Mall; and is additionally a foot bridge’s walk away from the Stratford Centre…the latter of which is home to a number of discount retailers and individual vendors who set up shop there during the day, peddling their various wares. Both malls are home to convenient grocery stores – which we took full advantage of. But Stratford Centre is certainly a more economical alternative to the pricier Westfield facility. Topping this off – for those who have a gambling interest! – was the Aspers Casino, which was literally only a stone’s throw away from the hotel. There was also a myriad of various ethnic restaurants and countertop service eateries (within the Westfield’s food court) practically just outside of the property as well. In fact, we had dinner twice at “The Real Greek” restaurant which offered up a nightly discounted fixed price menu. You can also get a coupon book offering restaurant and retailers’ discounts directly from the mall. So be on the lookout for this!

Transportation access from the Staybridge to Central London was relatively uncomplicated as the extensive London Metro tube (underground) and over ground combined Stratford station was literally 3-5 minutes walking distance away…depending on your gait I suppose? LOL. However, it may require as many as 10 stops (20-25 minutes total) – with a transfer possibly sandwiched in between – to reach some of the more popular tourist destinations from Stratford City. So just an FYI!

Switching focus back to the property itself, the daily breakfast was generally provided from 6:30-9:30 a.m. with a 7:30 a.m. start on Saturday (unsure about Sunday)! It featured all of the standard continental breakfast fare (croissants, juices, cereal, bananas, etc.), typically served in conjunction with baked beans, slab bacon (very salty), pork sausage and either scrambled eggs and or cheese omelets. And to reiterate, it’s absolutely free to all guests. YAY!

The Staybridge also advertises free laundry facility usage for guests…which was factual. What they didn't tell you, though, was that they also have the slowest washer /driers in the world! So a single load of clothes requires upwards of 3 hours to completion – no exaggeration! And then you have to continually check back to ensure that other guests haven’t set any unattended laundry – possibly your own! – aside, which we discovered they were wont to do!

And for those of us who further desired to utilize their advertised free 24 hour internet service, the front desk attendant informed – with a straight face - that we could do so in their “business center”?! LOL… Well it turns out that the “business center” was comprised of 2 lonely p.c. terminals sitting in the 3rd floor lobby of the Holiday Inn; which meant down to the ground floor (from level 12) and up the adjoining elevator bank to their “sister” property. And as it was evening at the time, there was barely enough overhead lighting to view the p.c.’s keyboards at all. Thus you’re sitting there enveloped in virtual darkness, or extremely dim lighting, at best…to be generous! When I mentioned to the Holiday Inn desk attendant, she intoned that lights are turned down by management in the evenings and she had no authority to turn them up. What in the world?! LOL. However, the final insult to injury was that the machines were EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW – to the point of being nearly unusable in fact! Turns out, I could only frustratingly use the infernal devices for checking emails…and this was after waiting for seemingly interminable lengths of time for the websites to pull up on screen. Whenever I tried to SEND messages, however, I received irreconcilable ERROR messages, due to systems overload, or some other mysterious root cause. Same thing when I tried to book tours online. And the staff could provide zero assistance in resolving. Thus, in short, the “business center” there was extremely inadequate at best and pretty much bordering on a total embarrassment, that management sorely needs to attend to. Otherwise, perhaps you’d enjoy better success – or maybe not?! LOL. - by bringing your own notebooks for interface to their WIFI network as an alternative?

However, additionally worth mentioning is that the Staybridge apparently DOESN’T PROVIDE regular housekeeping services on weekends…based on signage posted in the rooms?! But I wasn’t entirely clear on what the property’s philosophy was behind this, and would advise validating their actual policy with them directly…lest I miscommunicate. But as we were only there during the week – with a Saturday a.m. departure – we weren’t around to experience this first hand.

Speaking of departure, we had another nightmarish adventure upon checking out of the hotel. Specifically, despite our best efforts in precisely describing the locale of the hotel to our airport transport provider – they totally bungled the pickup point nonetheless and ended up in Central London somewhere! As again, it is a bit confusing if you’re not familiar with the area and layout there. So we waited outdoors in the heavy drizzle and chill for nearly an hour prior to finally having to defer to the Staybridge concierge to call us a taxi – which was another hour’s drive and 60 British Pounds to Heathrow. We only made our international flight back to the U.S. by some miracle of fate (i.e. – airline personnel actually delayed the plane’s scheduled gate “pull away” time in anticipation of our hectic and sweaty late arrival)! But just further reinforcement for having the Staybridge staff itself help negotiate the property’ inevitable logistics challenges associated with finding your way to and from the property!

In closing – finally – we’d likely consider staying here, going forward – excluding weekends perhaps…LOL! – from a simple price / value perspective alone. But there is definitely room for improvement!

Room Tip: Request a room with Olympic Park view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
StayGM, General Manager at Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review on our hotel. The team and I are obviously extremely disappointed to see that we did not exceed your expectations in a few areas. We are all extremely proud of our hotel and will use your comments to review the areas you have raised comments about.

Firstly, yes we are located in the MIDDLE of a shopping centre, a new development in the East end of London. Whilst this has MANY advantages, it also can be problematic in some circumstances, particularly if you are arriving with a car company who does not know the area. If I may offer some advice: If you are planning to arrive by cab or hire car, please feel free to contact the hotel directly. We have a car company that firstly knows the area and the hotel drop off points and secondly will in almost all cases be the cheaper option. If you do decide to use your own transport, please contact the hotel as we have extremely detailed arrival instructions which we will be happy to share. Unfortunately trying to educate every cab and car firm in London where our hotel is, is an impossible task – however we will keep trying!

Regarding your booking experience via Expedia, I am sorry you found this less than perfect. I am surprised that you felt that you had ‘purchased breakfast’ as all our rates include a COMPLIMENTARY breakfast. May I take this opportunity to highlight our Best On line Rate guarantee where we guarantee the best price for our rooms on our own website?

I am so sorry about the housekeeping incident, this is totally unacceptable. Our Executive housekeeper was absolutely mortified when this occurred (and we remember it well – as it has happened so rarely). She asks me to once again send her sincerest apologies to you for this. New measures have been introduced to ensure this will never happen again.

I am pleased we were able to honour your request for an Olympic view... eventually. By its very nature, unfortunately we cannot always guarantee a ‘request’. As an extended stay hotel, we have a large number of guests staying with us for months (some years) at a time leaving us very little manoeuvrability regarding views and so on.

I am sorry that you also did not find the Laundry Room an ideal solution to your requirements. I am also surprised that you found the washing machine cycles too long. There is a ‘Quick Wash’ cycle which takes 30minutes. I have since had a large poster made highlighting this fact. With the massive increase in occupancy we have seen in the last few months, I have also just ordered an additional washer and dryer for the laundry room.

You are correct in stating that we do NOT have a business centre in the hotel. Whilst our team are more than happy to assist with printing, photocopying and faxing, we do not have a PC available for guest use. When we advertise ‘Free Wi-Fi’ what we mean is that the Wi-Fi is free throughout the building (but you will need your own device to connect to it). I am disappointed that you found the business centre in the Holiday Inn (a separate hotel) unsatisfactory. I have spoken to the General Manager of that hotel and she assures me that they have some upgrades planned.

Housekeeping on weekends - the explanation is very simple. As an extended stay hotel, MOST of our long stay guests (and 70% of our hotel is long stay) do not want housekeeping coming into their rooms on a weekend. Therefore as a brand standard, Staybridge Suites Globally have said that they will only do weekend housekeeping on request. We therefore ask guests on check in if they would like weekend housekeeping and we then provide it, happily at no additional charge. Compared to a transient hotel this may seem strange, however most serviced apartments would only offer a WEEKLY housekeeping service, we provide a daily service with request on weekends.

Hopefully my response will not only give you assurance that we take your comments seriously, but will also provide future guests some valuable information and insight into the challenges you experienced. The team and I are always looking for ways to improve on the product and services we offer and thank you for your thorough comments. We all truly hope to see you again in a Staybridge Suites very soon!

Wayne Androliakos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Staybridge Suites this weekend for just one night (sadly) having watched a concert in the Olympic Park. The hotel was fantastic!!! The staff were really helpful and friendly and did all they could for us from printing our concert tickets to letting us watch the Wimbledon final 3 hours after checking out.
The breakfast was delicious with a good variety of food, the sun terrace was a nice addition and the rooms spacious and clean.
All in all a fab hotel, would highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Staybridge Suites London-Stratford City? Share your experiences!