“Absolutely AWFUL!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Wedgewood Hotel

You added Wedgewood Hotel to your Saves list
Wedgewood Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   49-51 Leinster Square | Bayswater, Westminster, London W2 4PR, England   |
Ranked #798 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Hiroshima, Japan
“Absolutely AWFUL!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you're looking for a hotel with BAD rooms whereby you can hear every person walking around the place; want rude staff who start showing anger at you for requesting a refund because your room doesn't have ANY running water, and get equally obnoxious when you ask about why it's not working and all you get is "It happens sometimes."; or if you like cheap cereal and toast for breakfast; then sure, come stay here!

This was the WORST HOTEL my wife has EVER stayed in, and we stay in a lot of hotels due to our jobs and frequent traveling!

I would NEVER recommend this hotel even to a homeless person!! Even the cleaning staff tried to tell her that all the hotels in the area are the same.

Thankfully she found another hotel really quickly nearby which is way better!

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book anywhere but here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Gore, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel was cheap, very clean, staf were friendly and in a great location. The room we had was slightly small but was still very good ! Highly recommend! Definitely go back there! Was not too far from underground tube station, like a 10 min walk so was great to get around city easily!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Augusta, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

If you just need a place to crash, and aren't picky about space, comfort, cleanliness, helpful staff, or a free breakfast, this hotel will suit you fine. But if you're on vacation, splurge an extra few bucks to actually get some relaxation in. The staff barely spoke English, was not familiar enough with the area to give us directions or dining suggestions, and was overall, not helpful in the least. The receptionist even argued with me about putting a stamped postcard in their mail. The "free continental breakfast" is toast, and some kind of liquid they claimed to be tea. That's it. The mattresses were thin, hard, with springs literally sticking out of them. The sheets were dirty. I found a hairball in my freshly made bed on our last night. The floors were filthy, and luckily, the rooms was very small, so jumping from the shower to the bed so as not to get my clean feet dirty before putting on my socks wasn't a terribly difficult feat. The halls were difficult to navigate (being very narrow), and when a fire alarm went off, we knew had it been real, we wouldn't have made it out from the fourth floor. IF you DO decide to stay, DO NOT GET THEIR SHUTTLE back to the airport. The driver was rude, unhelpful, and not safe on the road, driving in between two lanes and snickering when other drivers honked at him. He also doesn't give change back when we paid. Your money is better spent elsewhere.

Room Tip: We got a twin suite with a bathroom. Our suitcases barely fit, and it's a good thing we're...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ghent, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The only good thing one can say about this hotel is the location. It is close to restaurants and tube. The staff is friendly...but more friendly in a way to avoid complaints. They will sit behind the reception counter, hear what you have to say, write something down and NOT do anything about it. For example: I was given a single room in the basement. At 6 AM the staff was hovering in front of my door, hitting the door and wall in the hall quite hard. If I hovered like that at home, there wouldn't be anything left unbroken. Late in the evening there were guests who had forgotten they were in a hotel and made such a noise. I asked the staff to hang a sign on the wall like they do in other hotels, but they didn't do a thing. I stayed for 5 nights and I didn't sleep 1 night. I was in London for business and had to be fit for my meetings.... I will never understand why they gave me a room in the basement where there's so much noise while I was one of the better guests with my 5-night stay. My window couldn't be opened....and I suffer from astma. Why don't they give the crappy rooms to people who only stay for one night and will certainly survive one sleepless night????
The single room is small, but ok for one person. The beds are very narrow and hard. I weigh 63kg and am 1m70 tall....and I found the bed tiny. There is TV, free wifi, tea making facilities....but I used my cup on the first evening and during my 5-day stay the cup was never changed or cleaned. After the 3rd night I had to ask myself to change the bed sheets....you'd think in a hotel they know what they are expected to do. The bathroom is very very small, but clean. All the things in the hotel are worn out....
And now breakfast....if you ever want to experience the most chaotic breakfast ever....well this is your chance. They offer so little that all the guests run about looking for something that isn't there! They don't even make proper coffee....there's a hot water machine with a box of coffee powder next to it....it is placed in a corner so that it can be reached by one person at the time. There's one toaster. There's orange juice, jam and regular bread. That's it. So....if you have lots of time...feel free to queue!
So if you wonder why they don't put more pictures of their hotel on the official hotel website, you now know why!!!! My advise is to look for another hotel....there are others in the neighborhood, better ones and in the same price category. DON'T stay at the Wedgewood!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY THERE AT ALL....if you must...don't accept room 51: it's in the basement opposit...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

My room was literally the size of a broom closet. Reception very unhelpful. Lift very slow & old. Struggled to find the hotel in the first place. Bed small, sunken in and hard. Blanket looked like a dog blanket & I was there in winter so I was very cold. On the upside the bathroom was clean & the water was warm, although I barely fit into it despite being a small woman . Curtains couldn't close & the street and adjoining rooms were noisy at night. Only go here if you literally want a bed to sleep in.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Milford Haven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I've just returned from a 3 night stay with 2 friends, the reasons we went for this hotel being the price and the fact that the 3 of us could share a room. On the plus side our room and the hotel were clean, it was conveniently close to the tube (Bayswater and Queensway were close by) & local facilities, the area was quiet and we were within walking distance of Kensington Park which allowed us to pass the time until we could check in. However in reality our 'triple' room was just a twin room with an extra bed shoved in it and to be honest there wasn't the spare room for it. If two of us had been sharing the twin room then I think we'd have been pushed for space but with the third bed it was just too cramped. Two beds were almost on top of each other and left no space for luggage. The two main beds were ok but the extra was a bit like a glorified camp bed and my friend didn't trust it to last the 3 nights so chose to put his mattress on the floor and sleep on that instead, with his bedding consisting of 1 sheet and what appeared to be a picnic blanket. They also have the smallest lift going. It allegedly can carry 4 people but they'd need to be very thin and know each other extremely well - at a push the 3 of us got in together! I can't comment on the breakfast because on our first morning we came down to the breakfast room to find that it wasn't big enough to deal with the number of guests staying and after waiting 10 minutes for a table to become free we gave up and went to a nearby pub for food. The staff were friendly enough but we'd be unlikely to return to this hote although we'd stay in the area again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Folkestone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My partner and I booked this hotel purely based on price and general location. It cost us £105 for 3 nights booking really late, was very good (though if we had chosen to stay another night it would have been over £100 per night). We werent expecting too much for the price but would not have paid more. There are many similar hotels around the area so its a bit of a nightmare to find.
Checking in took aaaaaaaaages and the staff just passed stuff over for me to sign without any words possibly she did not speak much english yet managed to be nattering on the hotel business phone to friends a lot of the time.
The room itself was quite small and compact with not much space but it was adequate for our stay. Although it looked like some effort had been made to make it look nice it was really nothing special.
The elevator was pretty scary and very small to use.
I think with some more modernization the hotel would have more potential but in my opinion they have split it up so small to try to cram more rooms into the building which means it will never be beyond a 3* star hotel which is a shame.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Wedgewood Hotel? Share your experiences!