“The truth about the hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Swinton Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18-24 Swinton Street, London WC1X 9NX, England   |
Ranked #846 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Wahran, Oran, Algeria
“The truth about the hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Hi Folks
I have just been to this hotel for sevent nights. I was kind of unsure what I would expect after reading reviews by other people. But I must say that the Hotel was quite decent. Rooms are a bit small but clean. New towels everyday. The hotel is really about five minutes walk (or less) to King's cross station but when you leave the hotel you should turn left then left and keep on walking. If you turn right when you leave the hotel, then it will take more time to reach King's cross. There are a lot of different restaurants nearby where you can eat at a decent price. People at the reception (I've met 6 of them), most of them have been very very nice unlike what people said about them. If I go back to London, then this hotel will be in my list of hotels to go to. Finally, if you turn right when leaving the hotel then you find a htel called "T**e": It is about £75 a night and some of the rooms (believe or not) arejust without windows!! Mohammed Hichem Mortad.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Finnish first
Birmingham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We had to book a hotel in quite short notice, and this one was the only one we found that had wi-fi, was in a decent location, and breakfast that was less than £100 a night. Even Travelodge and Premier Inn were far more expensive. So, what do you get for £84 a night?

In comparison with other hotels we stayed in - not a lot. Seeing as those hotels were not in London though then you get to see how expensive staying in the capital really is. It's a 2-star hotel (if you're expecting more, then there's plenty of choice in Mayfair) which means it's a base for the night. The hotel is a based in a row of Georgian terraces (occupying about 3 knocked into one). If you're out on business, look elsewhere as the rooms are small with no desk to work on (though wi-fi is free with no restrictions, unlike Premier Inn for instance). If you have a mobility disability then this hotel is definitely not suitable as even though there's a (narrow) lift, the amount of stairs to get to it, plus the narrow corridors would make using a wheelchair impossible.

There's no frills like a pool or a bar either. There are pubs all over London for a drink. The only other extra you get is breakfast (which is toast, tea or coffee and a selection of cheese, ham and croissants or rolls and cereal).

There was a slight smell in the bathroom in our room, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was. It wasn't a musky damp smell but may be something to do with the local water quality? I'll admit being from Birmingham I'm spoilt with the superb quality of our water! Another negative point is the windows - whether the hotel is constrained by planning regulations meaning they can't replace the frames (even though they are draughty) is one thing, though they could replace the cracked glass (especially the one in the breakfast room as that's easier to get to than the third floor room we were on).

The staff were friendly and tried their best to make the place feel homely. The bed was comfortable and wi-fi reliable. What more do you need from a base to sightsee? Or a quick in-and-out to see a show like what we did?

Room Tip: A rear facing room is quieter. Book direct to save money.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thailand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Awful hotel, paid highest price for a double room with ensuite - did not get this they gave us a wet room which was horrid. We asked for a refund for the difference in which they said yes, next day before we left asked for refund they said no they refused! The room was awful, plug sockets half hanging off, bedside lamp had no plug just bare wires, stagnant tap water in the complimentary bottle! Dirty, dusty unkept and rude staff. A lot of money for a horrible place. Do not go!

• Stayed November 2013
Fareham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

This is simply the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I only got about half an hours sleep due to the forced open window leading onto the main road.

The room was on a visible slant, so everything, including myself.

The bed was also incredibly uncomfortable, terrible night, I was booked for two nights but I left after get first night.

The only positive thing I have to says about this hotel is that the staff were very friendly and helpful

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Portland, ME
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I ended up staying in two budget hotels in London this trip, and this was by far the nicer of the two. It was cleaner, seemed a bit more modern, and was just generally nicer than the other one.

The location is good - it's an easy five minute walk to King's Cross/St. Pancras.

The only real negative was the street noise - the street was busy pretty much all night. I suspect a back facing room would take care of that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Carlisle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I booked into this hotel for a recent trip to London. given the short notice for my trip, I did not spend time looking for reviews, and presumed that £80 per night would ensure that I would get a 'nice enough' hotel for my trip - How wrong I was...............

On arriving, I was welcomed with a damp, stale smell at reception as I checked in. I then went straight to my room via a narrow corridor which smelt of stale smoke. My room was the smallest single room I have ever stayed in. The carpet was dirty and the bed barely made. To try to mask the smell of the room, air freshener had been sprayed only minutes previous, as I could still see it in the air.

On leaving to go out for the day, I was told I had to hand my key back in to reception as they are open 24 hours a day! OK, not a problem. I returned later to my room which was now extremely warm and smelt even worse now the cheap air freshener had ran its course. For the next 8 hours, I was kept awake all night by both the traffic outside and the underground train which passed every 10 minutes, let alone the extremely uncomfortable bed.

The next night continued in the same fashion. Only this time, the fire alarm went off at 03.50am. I went downstairs as procedure only to be told "its a fault with a shower, you can go back to bed" By this time, I was so tired and fedup, I just wanted to leave.

I have stayed in a number of hotels, both business and pleasure, but this was by far and away my worst experience. The whole place is dirty and smells stale throughout. Despite the fact breakfast was included in the price, its fair to say, I did not fancy eating it......

Room Tip: Do not choose a room!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I wanted a hotel close to the station, and for just one night. Because my plans werent finalised till the last minute, the only room left was a triple. Other reviews say the double is small, and it is, because we looked at one being painted as we were leaving. The triple was a great size, esp for two people. The bathroom was excellent. Gotta agree the reception area is kinda dodgy, but adequate, and pleasant helpful people on the desk. Great location, close to the station. We spent our spare afternoon and morning there exploring south down Grays Inn Road to Oxford St and Charing Cross. Breakfast was fine, and generous. Free wifi worked perfectly. As another reviewer says, dont expect too much and you wont be disappointed, but that is perhaps a little unfair. I have to say the double rooms are small, but then for GBP75, in the heart of London, that is quite reasonable.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street, which was noisy at peak hour. The double we looked at was not on the s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Swinton Hotel? Share your experiences!