“Adequate hotel close to St Pancras and the Eurostar” 3 of 5 stars

You added Swinton Hotel to your Saves list
Swinton Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18-24 Swinton Street, London WC1X 9NX, England   |
Ranked #845 of 1,049 Hotels in London
“Adequate hotel close to St Pancras and the Eurostar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I wanted a hotel close to the station, and for just one night. Because my plans werent finalised till the last minute, the only room left was a triple. Other reviews say the double is small, and it is, because we looked at one being painted as we were leaving. The triple was a great size, esp for two people. The bathroom was excellent. Gotta agree the reception area is kinda dodgy, but adequate, and pleasant helpful people on the desk. Great location, close to the station. We spent our spare afternoon and morning there exploring south down Grays Inn Road to Oxford St and Charing Cross. Breakfast was fine, and generous. Free wifi worked perfectly. As another reviewer says, dont expect too much and you wont be disappointed, but that is perhaps a little unfair. I have to say the double rooms are small, but then for GBP75, in the heart of London, that is quite reasonable.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street, which was noisy at peak hour. The double we looked at was not on the s...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Finnish first
Krakow, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was also very disappointed when I arrived there. The hotel and the rooms differ a lot from those shown in the pictures on the website. They charged me 138 GBP for 2 nights and that's definitely too much for the standard they offer. The worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

A budget hotel about 500 metres from KIngs Cross. SO handy for Town.
What you'd expect from a budget hotel, small room, sparse furnishings and bit in need of some TLC! Corridors narrow and a bit dim.
However the beds were comfortable with crisp and clean sheets and pillowcases. The shower was pretty good though the water took time to drain away. Continental breakfast of cereals, juices, croissants, toast, ham and cheese - plain fare but adequate.

Don't expect too much and you wont be disappointed - for the budget price it was reasonable value. Room near to reception so access was simple: 24 hour manned reception.

Room Tip: Try for ground floor and near to reception!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The room was ok - it was a decent size for us as we were only staying one night.
The reception area is kinda dodgy looking and to get to our room was a real hassle. We had to walk down a few very narrow corridors and tight flights of stairs which was very difficult with a big suitcase.
No fridge in the room which meant we couldn't keep water bottles cool and the milk that was provided with the room was left out on the bedside table. Because we were leaving early and would miss our complementary breakfast, no fridge also meant that we couldn't buy yoghurt or other breakfast foods that would need to be refrigerated.
Don't get me wrong though, the location is great. We needed to meet our TopDeck group at The Clink early in the morning and Swinton Hotel is just a short 2 minute walk from here. It's also quite close to Kings Cross.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

My family and I booked 2 double rooms for a short weekend stay in London for my 21st birthday. We used booking.com the week before in the hope that we would get a cheap deal. The price was pleasing when we looked on their website and saw the clean foyer, minimalist decor and pretty front steps. It looked like we had a great deal. Card details were taken incase we didn't show or we didn't cancel in time but there was no booking fee, just pay when you arrive. However as we walked down Swinton Street looking out for the same picturesque front door on the website, we were all bitterly disappointed to arrive at a cramped terrace building with an old sign against the railings.

We walked inside hesitantly, to be greeted by a sweaty, miserable looking receptionist who spoke little English. Whilst my dad and boyfriend attempted to pay, my mum and I stood in the foyer which was NOTHING like the picture on the website. It was drab and the leather sofas were worn out and old. It was only the fact that one of the cards was declined that prompted my dad to ask if we could see our rooms first. The receptionist was quite happy for us to all go upstairs with our luggage and see our rooms whilst he waited in his little window.

We all crammed in the old fashioned smelly lift up to the second floor. As the doors clattered open again, we stepped out onto a narrow corridor with uneven floor and looked for our rooms. My parents went into theirs first and immediately commented on the smell. Our room was just as bad. The bathroom was crammed in behind the room door so at first I wasn't even sure we had an en suite. There were no tea and coffee making facilities in my room and I didn't notice a tv either. The beds were well made and the sheets looked clean but the smell and cleanliness of the room itself, was enough to make us all feel grubby and eager to get out. Again, the rooms could not be more opposite than what the website showed!

We decided almost immediately to leave but spent an extra 5/10 minutes looking frantically on our phones for nearby hotels that had vacancies. When we arrived back at the receptionists window my dad explained that the rooms were not what was advertised on the website and we were not happy to pay £89 for each of them. The receptionist then rudely replied 'and it took you 20 minutes to decide that?' then questioned if we had touched anything in the rooms which I was very quick to reply NO WAY. When we booked, we were told that if we didn't show up, or if we didn't cancel then we would still be charged. As we left we were not told that we would still be charged and assumed we wouldn't be, as we showed up and then left because we were unhappy with the rooms.

HOWEVER, the following day my boyfriend received an email from booking.com saying that because we were a 'no show' we would be required to pay the full amount still. It looks so far as if booking.com will take no responsibility for the problems.

Overall my advice would be not to book a hotel on booking.com and don't always take the cheap option thinking its a good deal. Its cheap for a reason!!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a triple room with my mum and sister for two nights. 7 min walk from kings cross station. Was £124 a night for the room so worked out fairly cheap. 3 single beds, all clean, flat screen TV, kettle, biscuits, hairdryer. Bathroom was grubby and old but still cleanish. Staff really friendly, breakfast included in the price and was fine, cereals, toast, ham, cheese. We were in the basement front room so could not leave windows open as there were steps outside from street level to the windows without a locked gate or grills over the window so anyone could have jumped in. That was a real shame as it was a very hot weekend and so hot in the room. Asked for a fan but they didn't have any. Impossible to get dry in the tiny bathroom as no extractor fan so just so hot and damp. Probably won't stay again as for a little more the comfort inn a couple of streets closer to the station was a lot newer

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel to be put into the smallest room with a single bed and a shower that literally was ontop of the toilet. After my first night I woke up to find I was covered in bed bug bites. On inspection there were no signs of any bugs anywhere and when I told reception he mearly said sorry and moved me to a different (bigger) room. Later another staff member came up to my room to tell me how deeply sorry he was and offered me a full refund on my accomidation. This staff member was extremely concerned and was very helpful with the whole situation, if it wasn't for him I would have left immediately.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Swinton Hotel? Share your experiences!