“Shabby and uninspiring” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Swinton Hotel

You added Swinton Hotel to your Saves list
Swinton Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18-24 Swinton Street, London WC1X 9NX, England (Islington / Clerkenwell)   |
Ranked #858 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Hawkesbury Upton, United Kingdom
“Shabby and uninspiring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The room was tiny with a rickety clothes rack as the only place to put clothes. The street outside was very noisy and I woke at 3.45am and thought it was time to get up due to what sounded like the rush hour outside. But the room was very hot so I had to leave the window open. Threadbare carpets on the stairs. Breakfast was efficiently served but nothing special and the two French families staying very wisely avoided the croissants which would have horrified them had they tried them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Finnish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

I believe that this hotel is in the business of scamming customers as the pictures on the internet are nothing like the reality of the rooms. Shabby is one thing: downright dirty is quite another. My heart sank as I walked into the lobby, and my feelings sank lower still as two burly men stood and watched me struggle with my suitcase. Thinking thta I had reached rock bottom, I was yet furtehr dismayed upon seeing the room. You knwo that you are in a dody place when the furtniture is bolted to the floor and the ceiling, there are gauge marks on the room door, and the carpet is stiff with ingrained dirt.

I left - quickly - after securing other accommoidation. The receptionist got aggressive when I complained about the room and even more aggressive when I said that I was leaving. He refused to refund my prepaid booking. I felt that both myself and my belongings were unsafe abd therefore the money was of littel consequence.

However, I am claiming from my credit card company and also complaining to the british tourist Aiuthority about the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dundalk, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Very deceiving photos on the website, the only thing which looked the same was the picture on the outside, rooms are tiny and no where near as big as they look on their website, coridoors are really narrow, plus as a note of caution if you do plan on staying, don't get them to order you a taxi, we did this, the receptionist called his mate who arrived in a non-registered london taxi, drove us to kings cross station, dropped us on the opposite side of the road to the designated taxi parking area and then demanded £10 for driving 0.5 miles, a total scam and rip-off, you have been warned.

Telford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We wanted a relatively cheap hotel, as our visit was only for one night and we're not really bothered about luxury. We needed to be near Kings Cross too. After reading the reviews below, I thought it would be rubbish but we'd cope. I was quite suprised really. I paid my bill to the friendly guy on reception and he pointed us in the direction of our room. We found it very easily. Upon opening the door, yes it was small, but it was clean and tidy; there was tea, coffee and biscuits; shampoo, shower gel and soap; a flat screen TV and a hair dryer. Our shower room was small, but clean and totally functional. We both slept well, but had to turn the radiator down because it was too hot - better than being too cold!
In the morning we had the advertised continental breakfast. It was really nice.
If you need to stay somewhere "fancy", pay a "fancy" price and then pay for breakfast too. I will most certainly stay at Swinton Hotel again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed here with work trip. There were stains on the bedsheets, the carpet had fag burns and looked like it had no been cleaned in months. Bathroom rails were rusty and sink was dirty. MINGING, MINGING, MINGING! Travel lodge at the end of the sreet is cleaner and cheaper so you definately do not get what you pay for! DON'T DO IT!

Devon, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We simply needed a bed for the night so as to catch an early Eurostar next morning, so for once we weren't fussy. Just as well! This place is backpacker standard or lower. A room the size of a cupboard, shabby carpet, woeful breakfast and a guy at the reception desk who seemed unable even to crack a smile. The location is great though, and the Vietnamese restaurant round the corner is fabulous.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
SW England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Room 7 is underground. Dirty carpet. Shabby curtains. Uncomfortable bed. Stained sheets and towels. The "en suite" is a tiled shower cubicle with a toilet in it - I have never seen anything like this before ... Anywhere in the world.

I stayed for about 7 hours and checked out as soon as I could. It is a disgrace that when Britain is a major tourist destination, visitors have to experience this level of squalor. Until the owners invest and refurbish this place I would advise against staying here.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 7.