“Comically horrible” 2 of 5 stars
Review of London House Hotel

Save Saved
You added London House Hotel to your Saves list
London House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Kensington Gardens Square, London W2 4DJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #280 of 1,073 hotels in London
Houston, Texas
“Comically horrible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

The first room had no window, then the "upgraded room" had a window which opened to scaffolding in which work began at 7 am right outside my window. No control over airflow. Bathroom door had to be propped open to get any ventilation. The blow dryer they provides didnt fit into their own outlet in the bathroom and the vanity by which it was mounted had no outlet near it at all. Makes it hard to do your hair when you dont have any mirror in front of which to do it. Stuffy and poorly ventilated hallways and inconsistent staff and housekeeping. We had to request each day to have water glasses. Never changed sheets over 5 days. Just a poorly managed hotel. The location is okaaay.

• Stayed January 2013
LHHManager, Manager at London House Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy you stay here with us and that we did not meet your expectations.
We are working hard to keep high level of service.
All our room have windows however if you chose to book one of the cheaper rooms in the basement they have windows that open to internal corridor but this information is stated clearly in room description and that's the reason the room priced cheaper than others.
i assume the receptionist upgraded you to the next level of room which is the room that face the back of the hotel and at the moment (not for long) we still have scaffolding due to maintenance work and hence again the very low rates we offer at the moment.
all room have a Mirror in the room and in the wardrobe and there is electric outlet just by the mirror for the use of the hair-dryer or other appliances. The electric outlet in the bathroom states "shavers only" so this is the reason you could not plug the hair dryer.
We usually change the linen every 3 nights and I am very sorry if it didn't happen in you room.
I will appreciate to know in which rooms you have stayed so I can investigate the issue further and make sure this will not happen again.
Thank you again for your comment and sorry for not meeting your expectations.
Happy New year

1,188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I booked a single room. Photos on the website did not begin to convey the extraordinarily cramped nature of the space - more of a horizontal wardrobe than a room. I could sit on the bed and touch the other wall! It wasn't actually a single bed, as it was 2/3rds of the width of one. I could not have the suitcase on the floor and open the door. luckily, I am fastidiously tidy! The room was adjacent to the lift. I complained about the size and the proximity to the lift but was simply told to pay more and upgrade - an indifferent and unhelpful stance from staff. I did not eat in the hotel. I would not recomend.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for writing your review and i am sorry to hear you were disappointed.
As much as we try to please all our guests i guess we did not meet your high expectation an i am sorry about this.
We offer several type of rooms and you have chosen to book a "small single" room which is the cheapest room we offer .
The room type is called "small single" and the pictures actually show that's it small. Also in room description we mention that it is small room. The single beds is standard UK small single size.
We can only write all this in formation with the hope that with a room name called "small single" and with very very low rates the guest will understand that it is a small single room that they are booking.
I am sorry if you felt the staff were unhelpful but they did the right thing offer you to change a room and book a larger room instead of the small single room you chose to book.

I am sorry again we did not meet you high expectations.
Twin Cities
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Traveling with two friends, I had a hard time finding rooms with three beds. The basement family room had plenty of room for three,with two singles and a double bed.
The location was perfect for us. Close to two different tube stations (serving different lines) and the neighborhood was residential and felt quiet and safe
The hotel was clean and looked like an American apartment building.
I would have given 5 stars but in our room in the basement, we could hear the footsteps of the people walking up and down the stairs.

Room Tip: If you need a very quiet room, try for a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tel-Aviv, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My stay at the Hotel was from Jan 8th to Jan 14th, 2013. The TripAdvisor ratings were relatively high, and the price was relatively low, so I thought I was getting a real baragin. Regretfully, I did not end up feeling that this was indeed the case,

The room was very small and relatively uncomfortable. One of the smallest I have ever stayed in - and I travel quite a lot. The "desk" and attached "chair" were a ledge, barely wide enought to fit my laptop, and a bench, which was quite hard on my back. The wardrobe was tiny and had only one shelf. No drawers in sight, not even near the bed. And the bed itself was really small - and I'm only 5'7" tall. The funniest thing about it all was that, when I checked in, they told me that I got upgraded from the single room I have requested to a double room at no extra charge. I wonder what the original single room would have looked like...

Then came a series of technical issues. When I came in, one of the bedside lights had a missing bulb; not a burnt bulb - no bulb at all. I asked for a bulb and got one immediately. The maintanance person was very helpful and also got me a UK electricity adaptor for my laptop, so he personally deserves kudos. Next - a heating issue. My heater was going on and off all the time and only by my third day at the hotel I thought that this is strange and asked for it to be fixed - which it was. And then I've realized that the "airflow" device in the ceiling of the bathroom does not work either... And the bathroom door will not stay open unless I stick a piece of cardboard under it, so without the "airflow" thing the bathroom has a very hard time getting ventilated.

The room I'm in (called "L4") sits right above some garbage cans. The window has a thin glass pane, which doesn't do a very good job of keeping out the cold, or the noise. I could clearly hear when glass bottels were thrown into the garbage cans at night, to cite just one example.

I'm not saying all was bad. As I already said, the maintenance person was very helpful. The hotel lobby was large and well-heated. The location is relatviely convenient for tourists. But - maybe since my expectations were high - I was still somewhat disapointed. So I should probably not have gotten my hopes too high...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were there for New Year Eve. And the check out on 1st January was at 10.30h (after fireworks and the chaos to arrive to the Hotel we arrived at the Hotel at 2am).The heater was not working, so the bedroom was cold.
Nice bedroom (small).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LHHManager, Manager at London House Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for writing your review about London House Hotel.
I am glad to see you like the room and level of cleanliness.
We did not have any problems reported with the heating during the period you have stayed at the hotel so i can only assume the heating was not turned on when you entered the room at night.
once turned on it will warm up the room quite fast and our excellent warm duvet will certainly keep away the cold.
I wish you happy new year and hope to see you here again
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for a week for christmas, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room were clean but the linens bed were never changed as explained in the brochure. Garden View Room was not large but comfortable
it was nice to be able to return from long walks and to prepare tea.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A very nice hotel for that price. I especially appreciated that we were able to choose between different room types when we booked so that we were guaranteed two seperate twin beds. Both the room and the bathroom were really clean and even though the room was not very spatious it was not that small. The location of the hotel is great too. You didn't hear much noise from the street at all and it was also close to some busier streets were there were a lot of decent places to eat. We slept in so we never had breakfast at the hotel but there was a Starbucks just a couple of minutes away! I can highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to London House Hotel? Share your experiences!