“Should probably not have gotten my hopes too high...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of London House Hotel

You added London House Hotel to your Saves list
London House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Kensington Gardens Square, London W2 4DJ, England (Notting Hill)   |
Ranked #325 of 1,051 Hotels in London
Tel-Aviv, Israel
“Should probably not have gotten my hopes too high...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My stay at the Hotel was from Jan 8th to Jan 14th, 2013. The TripAdvisor ratings were relatively high, and the price was relatively low, so I thought I was getting a real baragin. Regretfully, I did not end up feeling that this was indeed the case,

The room was very small and relatively uncomfortable. One of the smallest I have ever stayed in - and I travel quite a lot. The "desk" and attached "chair" were a ledge, barely wide enought to fit my laptop, and a bench, which was quite hard on my back. The wardrobe was tiny and had only one shelf. No drawers in sight, not even near the bed. And the bed itself was really small - and I'm only 5'7" tall. The funniest thing about it all was that, when I checked in, they told me that I got upgraded from the single room I have requested to a double room at no extra charge. I wonder what the original single room would have looked like...

Then came a series of technical issues. When I came in, one of the bedside lights had a missing bulb; not a burnt bulb - no bulb at all. I asked for a bulb and got one immediately. The maintanance person was very helpful and also got me a UK electricity adaptor for my laptop, so he personally deserves kudos. Next - a heating issue. My heater was going on and off all the time and only by my third day at the hotel I thought that this is strange and asked for it to be fixed - which it was. And then I've realized that the "airflow" device in the ceiling of the bathroom does not work either... And the bathroom door will not stay open unless I stick a piece of cardboard under it, so without the "airflow" thing the bathroom has a very hard time getting ventilated.

The room I'm in (called "L4") sits right above some garbage cans. The window has a thin glass pane, which doesn't do a very good job of keeping out the cold, or the noise. I could clearly hear when glass bottels were thrown into the garbage cans at night, to cite just one example.

I'm not saying all was bad. As I already said, the maintenance person was very helpful. The hotel lobby was large and well-heated. The location is relatviely convenient for tourists. But - maybe since my expectations were high - I was still somewhat disapointed. So I should probably not have gotten my hopes too high...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were there for New Year Eve. And the check out on 1st January was at 10.30h (after fireworks and the chaos to arrive to the Hotel we arrived at the Hotel at 2am).The heater was not working, so the bedroom was cold.
Nice bedroom (small).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
LHHManager, Manager at London House Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Thank you for writing your review about London House Hotel.
I am glad to see you like the room and level of cleanliness.
We did not have any problems reported with the heating during the period you have stayed at the hotel so i can only assume the heating was not turned on when you entered the room at night.
once turned on it will warm up the room quite fast and our excellent warm duvet will certainly keep away the cold.
I wish you happy new year and hope to see you here again
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed here for a week for christmas, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room were clean but the linens bed were never changed as explained in the brochure. Garden View Room was not large but comfortable
it was nice to be able to return from long walks and to prepare tea.

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

A very nice hotel for that price. I especially appreciated that we were able to choose between different room types when we booked so that we were guaranteed two seperate twin beds. Both the room and the bathroom were really clean and even though the room was not very spatious it was not that small. The location of the hotel is great too. You didn't hear much noise from the street at all and it was also close to some busier streets were there were a lot of decent places to eat. We slept in so we never had breakfast at the hotel but there was a Starbucks just a couple of minutes away! I can highly recommend this place.

Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stayed here for one night in November while visiting London. Location is very good, nice and peaceful area. Room was very small (Garden View Room) but it was ok for just one person. It was nicely decorated and very clean. Bed was good and pillow quite ok - not the most comfy one. I had my breakfast in my favorite London cafe, so can´t say anything about London House Hotel´s breakfast. The big minus was that the ceilings are made of paper. You are able to hear everything from the corridor and the rooms next to yours. That wasn´t so nice when you tried to sleep. It was really heavy wind during the night and it felt/sounded like the window would break down. I would stay here again despite the paper walls.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in November while we visited London to shop for Christmas. Have to say we were very impressed by the cleanliness and the decor, also the staff were lovely, helpful and friendly. Our room was a little on the cold side but this didn't matter too much. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the hotel from 23rd Dec to 1st January through a friend recommendation and we are extremely pleased with the service, location, cleanliness of the room.

Below is a quick review on my experience.
Check in: Was quick and greeted by excellent service. We arrived at 730am and the staff on night duty did a good handover with regards to our request. I would like to special mention Pauline whom I believe was the supervisor whom was fliexible and accommodating to our requests.

Hotel: The hotel was extremely clean and well kept.

Room: We had a twin room, though small but was what we had expected.It was clean and I like the modern design. However,the hotel does not supply tissue boxes and bedsheet was not changed for 6 days till we requested. The bedsheets get dirtied easily when the room is small and you basically have to and do everything else on the bed since there are not enough place for 2 person to sit.

Location: Superb with amenties and shopping around the vicinity. Mark and Spencer was round the corner and Queensway and Bayswater station was within walking distance.

I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who has a budget and would still like to stay in a clean and comofortable hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
LHHManager, Manager at London House Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for writing your review about London house Hotel.
I am glad you have enjoyed your stay here and i appreciate you comments.
I am very sorry about the issue with the bed linen. we usually change the bed linen every 3 nights or if requested by the guest . During the period you stayed with us we changed our hotel management system and i thinks this have caused a few issues . But i am glad it was all sorted and thank you for understanding.
i would like to wish you happy new year and I hope to see you here again.

Been to London House Hotel? Share your experiences!