“Clean, good service, small rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of London House Hotel

Save Saved
You added London House Hotel to your Saves list
London House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   81 Kensington Gardens Square, London W2 4DJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #268 of 1,071 hotels in London
Sweden
“Clean, good service, small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

If you want a hotel living up to all standards for an ordinary person, not a rockstar, and if you spend most of your time out, this is it! Too small room s to spend your time in, but why should you? You're in London! Well situated to tube, walk, cab or car...
Refurbished (still going on) and quiet between rooms!

Room Tip: As my stay was about a week I did choose "small double" for just me.

1,304 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Turkish first
Northumberland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed here as friends coming from abroad had booked this hotel and we joined them for one night. The hotel was clean and comfortable and newly decorated- workmen were still busy but this was not a problem. The hotel was well situated and quiet and just a short walk from Bayswater tube station. There were plenty of places to eat close by, pubs and restaurants (mostly chains). We booked a room with a view of the gardens which was big enough but not really spacious! Our friends arrived the day before us and had been given a smaller room at the back which was very small and they had asked for a change as they thought it was too small. Breakfast was OK but we all felt that the bread was not very fresh!
If I was coming to London for a show I would book this hotel again as for central London it was value for money. If you are going to be out most of the time it was fine!

Room Tip: I think the smaller rooms are VERY small - however this is made clear on the website.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
La Grande, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This is a modest hotel conviently located to Tube stations in Notting Hill. A little hard to find at first but the convenient location made the searching worthwhile. The hotel staff bent over backwards to help me with directions, suggestions for nearby restaurants, and overall directions. They got me into my room as soon as I got there, even though it was before check in time. The room was exactly as advertized and very clean. This hotel is just right for the traveler who is out touring all day and needs a comfortable, safe, clean place to sleep. Great hospitality.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The hotel is in a perfect place in Kensington Garden’s square, which is a peaceful and quiet but very convenient location. Notting Hill is just 15 minutes walk from the area and Hyde Park is only 5 minutes from the hotel. Also it is very close to the underground, i.e. you can reach the hotel after 5 minutes walk from Bayswater station. However, Bayswater station is often closed due to strikes and reconstructions. Queensway and Lancaster Gate stations are also in walking distance. Besides, there is also a bus stop near the entrance of Kensington Gardens, so public transportation will not be a problem even when u-tube is not working.

Hotels are usually pricey in London and this hotel is also a little bit expensive compared to other parts of Europe. But within UK standards I think it has good value for money. You can easily skip breakfast at the hotel, since there are a lot of options in Queensway. The rooms are small, but they are nice and clean. We had a room facing the Kensington Garden’s square, so we had a good view.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who would like to explore the city while staying within a good a budget.

Room Tip: select a room facing the Kensington Garden’s square
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the London House Hotel overall. It's not perfect by any means, but for the price, it's very nice. I stayed in a single room which was very small but comfortable and clean. I had no problems other than the fact there was construction going on which was a little irritating sometimes but not too much of a bother. Free internet in the lobby is great. The staff seemed extremely inexperienced and confused most of the time which was a little irritating but not a major problem at all. This hotel is great if you're just staying in London for a few days. It is clean and the location is great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
LHHManager, Manager at London House Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of London House Hotel.
It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay here and that you have found the room to be clean and comfortable.
I am sure you will be happy to know that part of the work we had in the hotel was to upgrade our internet and WI FI network and we are finally able to offer good free WI FI al in all rooms.
i am sorry for the inconvenience of the work we had during your stay. In our effort to keep the hotel well maintained and in order to be able to offer better service to all our guest we renovated the lobby area and a new reception area. The main works are done now and only minor decoration works are left. I am sorry also you felt the staff were confused. during your stay we just moved to the new reception area and a move like this always brings some confusion at the first instance.
Now everything is in place and everyone is used to work in this lovely new reception.

Thank you again for writing you most appreciated comments and we hope to see you here in the future.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arrived at the hotel during what we presumed was the final phase of the refurbishments prior to the 2012 London Summer Games. The hotel is situated in a pleasant, leafy area and is in a great location for easy access to Notting Hill and the West End – and in our opinion is as good a location as any for a tourist visiting London.

Our standard garden room was clean, recently refurbished with a good standard of basic amenities. The room was by no means a large; but we did not expect to find a large room at this price in a 3-star hotel in central London. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

The room was not without its shortcomings: The shower drained very slowly and was at risk of overflowing, so we therefore were unable to enjoy anything more than a reasonably short shower. Probably the worst problem, and the most difficult for the hotel's management to address was that the walls between bedrooms seemed (very) thin, with hardly any sound insulation; and so we could hear the conversations of the occupants in the adjacent rooms! A related problem, but probably much easier to resolve, was the noise made when opening and closing the wardrobe doors; (and we were even disturbed by the opening and closing of the wardrobe doors in the adjacent rooms)! An easy fix solution would be to affix some small dampening pads wardrobe doors.

The staff were courteous and made us feel welcome.

We would stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to friends (albeit with a warning about the thin walls and poor sound insulation).

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at London House Hotel and for writing your review.
It is great to hear that you enjoyed your over all stay and that you have found our hotel generally comfortable and good value for money.
I am Sorry about all shortcomings you have mentioned.
We take all criticism seriously and our maintenance will look into possible solutions.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of July. I arrived much earlier than check-in so they gladly accepted my bags until later in the day. This hotel is in a great location - about a 5-minute walk from the Bayswater station.

I had a single room/single bed facing the back. Yes, the rooms are small but perfectly manageable for 1 person. Bathroom was clean, but I agree with some other reviews that a larger person would have a hard time moving around. There were 2 towels, which were reasonably thick, and fluffy and clean. There is a closet but I found that a lot of the space was unusable as they were shelves placed much higher than what an average person can realistically reach. As a result, there aren't a lot of places to unpack your belongings which didn't bother me but might be a consideration for those that like to empty their suitcases during their stay.

I declined to have breakfast due to the price and found quite a few options along the Queensway. Notting Hill is within easily walking distance and Kensington is a nice stroll as well.

They charge for wifi in your room but it's free in the lounge. The lounge and reception area is clean, bright and staff was very friendly and helpful. The initial reception area inside the front door was under construction while I was there and I'm not sure what the eventual plans are once it's complete - but the noise could be an issue for anyone wanting to sleep past 8 or so.

The only negative I can mention is that my room faced the loading area for Whiteley's, which could occasionally be noisy. I would suggest asking for a west-facing room, so that you can overlook Kensington Gardens Square.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a west-facing room, so that you can overlook Kensington Gardens Square.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to London House Hotel? Share your experiences!