“Superbly quirky!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Delaunay

The Delaunay
55 Aldwych, London, England (Covent Garden)
0207-499-8558
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Delaunay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #508 of 17,052 Restaurants in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Worcester
“Superbly quirky!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Called in for Sunday brunch, without a reservation. We were on our way home following a weekend in Lodon - dressed very informally, wet from a rain shower and carrying luggage. Our immediate impression was that we were a bit out of place, as the restaurant looked very grand and the front of house team looked very formal, but the welcome was very warm and friendly.
The menu was quite eclectic - from eggs benedict to a full English roast dinner. The dessert menu was extensive which reflects its Viennise coffee-house atmosphere.
The service was extremely attentive without being fussy, and the prices, although initially appearing a little high, were reasonable for the quality of the food and the overall ambience.
This was an extremely enjoyable first visit. I cannot fault any aspect and look forward to returning soon.

• Turkish first
England, United Kingdom
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was looking forward to a meal here with my Wife and her best friend. We were well looked after once the confusion over the name our table was booked under was resolved. The table was rather cramped for 2, let alone 3 but some lovely bread arrived while we read through the menu (printed on lightweight paper, a bit crumpled and not very classy) and I sipped on a very good Bloody Mary.

Looking around this very busy place my eyes fell on a large area of wood between two sets of tables, covered in a thick layer of dust. This was not some out of reach, out of sight area of the restaurant but right in between 8-10 tables!

Once our guest arrived, service was petty much spot-on. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the food. I ordered Chicken Kiev, my wife ordered Trout and our guest ordered Cod. All dishes had way too much salt. The fries were proper fries but only about 2cm long and again, way, way too salty. We shared what resembled a fruit crumble, which was rather bland and I had a couple of Chocolate Truffles, which were unfortunately rather forgetful.

I had such hugh expectations for The Delaunay, especially considering its heritage, it just didn't come close to living up to them.

Why all the salt?

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I was sorry to read you were disappointed with certain aspects of the your visit to The Delaunay and would be grateful if you would contact me on info@thedelaunay.com.

Regards
Fergal Lee
dublin
“Not for brunch.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We arrived without a reservation and the hostess was very accommodating, the main dining are is very nice and busy without being loud. We wanted brunch, which is quite limited on the menu and I felt the staff were catering more towards lunch.
To be honest I wanted to love this place but the food really was not great- eggs benedict - thick muffins, big slice of ham, poached egg and hollandiase all not quite hot enough - the ham had come out of the fridge I reckon, the muffin a bit stodgy and the hollandiase too thick. The speciality coffee was lovely and the tea good. Nice restrooms and efficient staff- a bit serious though.
I will go back and give it another chance, but not for brunch.

Visited February 2013
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Pre theatre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited this restaurant for pre theatre dinner. Friendly greeting by staff nice decor and comfortable seating. First to arrive was bread and butter, no side plates. I ordered the rib eye steak with bernaise sauce, both which were excellent. The fries that came were heavily laden with salt almost to the point of sending them back. For dessert we had the Salzburg Soufflé ( for two ) lots of volume with very little substance. Salt issue raised with waitress who would pass on comments to Chef. Would I go back possibly. But for the money there are better restaurants.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Athens
“Landmark venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I had a great experience at DelUnay. A classic setting of old Basilico London, excellent service and the food.... An experience to share. Probably the best eggs benetict I had for some time. While I was there the Duke of an area I did not catch was booking for a table. I was having breakfast with the editor of a very fashionable magazine and she descriped the place as an Institution of Lomdon. I think the description fits. A must gom

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
DelaunayRest, General Manager at The Delaunay, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and I have shared your comment on the eggs benedict with the Chef.

Kind regards