“Beautiful venue in extremely ugly hands” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Home House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Home House
You added Home House to your Saves list
20 Portman Square, London W1H 6LN, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #305 of 1,049 Hotels in London
London
“Beautiful venue in extremely ugly hands”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have spent a lot of time at Home House due to a very close friend being a member. Consequently I have spent a lot of money there, not only eating, drinking and attending special events but also staying in the various beautiful rooms. Unfortunately on each and every occasion I have come away feeling a little subjugated and I am not on my own in thinking that having spoken to other members. The service is appalling. If you stand in the garden during the summer you can listen to quite a few different groups of people arguing with staff and having to re-order drinks but I'm a sucker for history and the building kept luring me back.

The final straw came for us when we spent a small fortune there for my husband's birthday party, hiring rooms, florists, DJ etc. We entrusted an large antique portrait in their hands for few hours before we presented it in the evening. They had somehow dropped the frame and broken it and without dragging Trip Advisor readers through the whole sorry mess of events, the manager agreed to fix the portrait and then a week later we received an email from Anita, our event manager, threatening us that if we didn't remove the frame from their premises they would 'dispose' of it and that they would not admit responsibility.

We have spent £££££'s over the last couple of years with them within our friend group. For the sake of a couple of hundred quid they have lost a few members and our ongoing business. This unfortunately represents their attitude as a whole and I haven't spoken to anyone since who has a good word to say about the venue. In actual fact even before this catastrophe I had received many negative comments from people about the customer service but I chose to ignore them. More fool me.

I am very saddened that such a beautiful property has landed in such greedy, impervious hands. Please avoid.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
north london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We attended a function at Home House. Some people had said it was excellent and others were not so enamoured so we were interested to see for ourselves. Overall the impression was that it was "grubby" and needed a fortune spending on it to bring it to life. The food was "fair", the room was dark and rather depressing, the service was good and the staff helpful. The toilets were not good, not good at all. We were disappointed by the overall experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Came here on a weekly basis for dinner and drinks with work colleagues and I have had many amazing experiences. The atmosphere is unbeatable, the drinks are great and so reasonably priced! Atmosphere in the bars in the evening is always great and really easy to meet others having fun. The food is well priced and the menu is fab.

Over several years of great experiences I have only one negative experience of Home House:

One evening after dining in the restaurant (another great meal) my colleagues and I were the last people out of the dining room. When I reached the stairs by the exit I realised I had left my expensive scarf on the back of my chair, I rushed back to the dining room and the scarf was gone - no staff could tell me what happened to it. I called back several times that week as I worked so nearby and every time I was told that it had never showed up in lost & found, staff were unapologetic and barely listened to us and one guy on the phone was plain rude.
Under any other circumstances I would just blame myself for being a bit careless but this particular incident enraged myself and my colleagues as it was so clear that it could only have been staff that had taken it (yes, we were sober and 100% certain that was were I left it! We have pictures of me wearing it at the table). There was nobody else around as it was the end of the night. We wouldn't expect this from any nice restaurant, let alone a members club that my boss pays a not insignificant amount to frequent!

This one incident aside, I still love this club and have been a few times since but it has certainly tainted our view of the customer service a bit.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Tortola
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Home House is a must stop whenever I am in London as it is conveniently located and an easy place to gather my friends. It is specially lovely in summer when the outside garden opens for business. Last Monday was a beautiful sunny day and we had a wonderful light lunch to celebrate a friend's birthday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

A great club in Portman Square to join and cost not prohibitive. There are rooms in this huge house that would suit anyone's taste all happening at once. Entering into the building we purchased a drink in the most amazing looking modern bar, from then on it was like a Mr Ben experience going through the rooms, there was a DJ in the first room, the 2nd room people spilling out onto the balcony as it was a warm London night, through into a quieter room if you wanted to talk without yelling at your companion, through again into a room where people were using computers and just being. Out into the garden under a marquee-more chatting and more drinking was being enjoyed, wow how could you not love this place. Imagine after a busy day shopping and you came for a nice sit down-how good would that be, must make a note to self to try it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dereham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was a member here for a few years and really miss it. Great drinks, company and the parties were amazing. Meals a bit too arty-farty for me but there's always something on the menu. Ideal for a drink during a shopping trip and one of the few places in Central London where you can actually sit down and wait for waiter service. Good gym as well and I do miss the fencing classes on Satruday mornings.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Considering it is a member's only place,it feels like one is visiting royalty.
The place had a very kingly old world apprearance.
Stayed at the lady Islington room which was very victorian. The bathroom was gorgeous.
One could easily get lost in the numerous rooms...one leading to yet another..

The bar downstairs was lively and the drinks simply superb.The staff ever so ready to help out without a hint of attitude.
Had a fab stay!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Home House? Share your experiences!