“Very poor service.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #647 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Very poor service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

I booked to stay at this hotel through lastminute.com during October 2010. I was attending a function in Mayfair and was running tight on time when I arrived. The main hotel door was locked and there was a note saying 'back in 5 minutes'. The receptionist eventually turned up only to inform me that the the twin room I had booked and paid for was already filled and there was no other twin room available. Luckily there was a single room available but I was kept at least 20 minutes whilst he tried to sort the booking (even though I stressed that I was late for the function). No apology was offered or a refund for the cheaper room as he said it was lastminute's fault (a fact that I now know not to be true). The small single room had a lumpy bed and a weak shower that sounded like a hair dryer (probably about right for the money though). The hotel did eventually offer a 25% discount on a future stay but I will certainly not be taking them up on their offer.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Jersey, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We (my 2 grown up daughters and I) stayed at the hadleigh in a triple room. On entering the hotel it was quite grotty looking but in the process of re-decoration there was also scaffolding erected outside. Our room although quite spacious and clean wasnt great and a bit tired looking as were the curtains. The mattresses were thin and hard and all 3 of us had aching backs by the time we left and we only stayed 2 nights! It was also very noisy coukld hear the people upstairs all night long! The shower had hairs in the bottom of it which was quite grim, and some of the tiles in the bathroom were broken and cracked. The 'hotel' had no facilities other than continental breakfast (£3.50 extra) in fairness this is little more than a guest house. Also after 10pm there is nobody on reception and as we didnt arrive til 10.15pm had to wait for them to come down for us to check in even though we had notified them we would be arriving late. When we popped back mid-afternoon our room hadnt been cleaned or beds made, although someone knocked to ask if we wanted it done while we were there a little too late once we were in there i felt. The only positive things are the location, only a 5 min walk from Marble Arch, and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2010
pesaro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Last Saturday March 26th at 5 a.m. we realized that it was raining in
room n° 1 occupied by me and another girl. To be more precise water was
falling from the ceiling wetting the carpet and the floor of the
bathroom. The alarm started to sound (I think it was the fire alarm) and
we went out of the room where we met an employee of the reception who
was trying to stop the alarm that anyay went on sounding for four hours
(that it is till 9 a.m.) and so we couldn’t sleep neither when the
water stopped falling from the ceiling.

The employee of the reception set the room putting some towels on the
floor and on the carpet; then he tried to switch on the lights and he
said that we could go back into our room.

In the meantime, four boys of our group, awaken by the alarm sounding,
came down from room n° 8 and 9 and informed us that the bathroom of
room n° 9 had flooded probably because of the water that poured out
from the ceiling of room n°1.

On Saturday at 7 o’ clock p.m. when we came back into the hotel we
noticed that a part of the plaster had come off from the ceiling of room
n° 1 and some pieces of the floor (small wooden.-beams) have fallen
down on the carpet. (See the attached photo).

On Sunday March 28th at 3 a.m. we came back again to the hotel and
another employee of the hotel invited us to gather up our baggage
quickly because half of the ceiling had fallen down while we were out.
The floor was full of debris and rubble that had also fallen on our
luggage and on our personal belongings. (We have a photo to be
attached, too).

She asked us to go up to our friends’ rooms (n° 8 and n° 9)
obviously because it was dangerous to stay in ours. We spent the
remaining hours devided between the other rooms and none of the six
components of the group managed to sleep or rest in a proper way because
of the lack of beds and the availability of any other free room. Anyway
it was the same as the previous night because we couldn’t sleep as
well.

Now, for all the reasons I said before, we ask to have the cost of two
nights refunded. That’s the least we can ask because it was a real
miracle if the ceiling didn’t collapse while we were in the room. We
found ourselves in a situation so dangerous and uncomfortable that we
could also report.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
HadleighHotel, Manager at Hadleigh Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
The person who posted this review stayed at our hotel with some friends. It was one of their party who caused the flood in the hotel and, as they did not inform our night staff about it for over 1 & 1/2 hours, this caused the fire alarms to go off and ceilings to collapse, causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to our property, not to mention the loss of business. As to the 2nd night we suggested they would be more comfortable in their friend's rooms for their remaining time in the hotel of less than 2 hours.
Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I needed a room that same night in central London, but needing to keep costs down I set a budget of under £100. A tad ambitious, but about 20 phone calls later I tracked down the Hadleigh. They offered me their last room - a double - for £85, and I have to say that it was just fine for what I needed. I think I got the same room as the last reviewer on the 4th floor as my floor sloped too, but I didn't roll out of bed! The sheets were crisp, the towels clean, it was airy and bright and the TV had freeview so plenty of channel choice. The staff were polite and they give you a front door key for late returns. They also loan you a TV remote control at check in - clearly some have gone missing in the past!

My only crtitisism would be that the general upkeep could be improved; the over-bed light didn't work and the shower was more of a dribble, but for an overnight it was fine, and I wasn't expecting a Holiday Inn. Not at £85 a night within 100 yards of Marble Arch. And if you arrive as I did by car, don't park overnight in the Bilton Towers NCP - it cost me £33; add on 2 days congestion charge and I should have let the train take the strain.

Would I stay there again? Yes definitely, so much better than many 'cheaper' London hotels reviewed on this site.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed in a single room for 6 nights and thought it was fun. As expected the room was tiny and the facilities were a bit old. The funniest thing about my room was the floor of my 4th floor room was so tilted it almost caused me to roll out of bed!

On the positive side, the room and the hotel in general was very clean and the staff was very nice and very helpful. I had an issue connecting to the hotel WiFi and one of the kind staff quickly solved my problem.

Overall, I found the hotel to be an excellent bargain and plan to stay there again when I return to London!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Milwaukee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We booked a triple room at the Hadleigh hotel based upon location and price. The location was great. We were close to several bus lines and the underground. It is a very short walk to Oxford Street. We actually walked to Buckingham Palace (20-25 min)and then on to Westminster and found the walk to be enjoyable plus a lovely way to experience the city.

The room itself was pretty large. There was a bathroom with a toliet, shower, and sink. And then there was an additional sink in the room as well. There was a TV and fan too. But overall I would say the room was kind of grungy, but adequate. The gentleman at the front desk was nice and helpful.

I would recommend this hotel to people looking for affordable lodging near the action.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

My friend and I had another visit in London and this two star hotel was simply great. Staff were very friendly and heplful. I will always go back to this hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — no restaurant
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hadleigh Hotel? Share your experiences!