“Never again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Glendale Hyde Park Hotel

You added Glendale Hyde Park Hotel to your Saves list
Glendale Hyde Park Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Devonshire Terrace, London W2 3DN, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #913 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Dublin, Ireland
“Never again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We were unlucky enough to be one of the many people who booked through 1800hotels.ie days before they filed for bankrupcy protection. Unsure if our booking was in tact we began to panic. After being first told by our hotel that the reservation was confirmed, we found out the day before we travelled that our reservation had been cancelled. We searched for another hotel, confident that at such short notice we should get a good deal on another hotel, We came across the Glendale Hyde Park Hotel's site. It looked small but well maintained and ideally located. The site boasted of it's "first class accommodation" and "warm and friendly welcome to all guests". We were to be very disappointed. Upon our arrival, we were barely greeted by a man who seemed more concerned by the television program he was engrossed in. After 5-6 minutes of searching for our reservation, he eventually found it and informed us that although the room was ready, we were 45 minutes before their agreed checkin time so we would have to come back. When we came back, we were brought to a room in the basement floor of the hotel. the room consisted of a bed and a bathroom. No window and a door linking it to the next room (we would later discover that this door allowed us to hear every breath of the guests next door). Breakfast (included in the rate we paid) consisted of toast, filter coffee, orange juice or cold hard-boiled eggs. The breakfast room was similar to hostels I have stayed in over the years. I might add at this stage that we certainly did not pay hostel prices!! Upon leaving, the man at the desk (not the same as on our arrival) looked up at us and said goodbye (again, engrossed in whatever was on the tv). While we were grateful to get a hotel with a reasonable rate at such short notice, this hotel is nothing short of false advertising and failed promises. Never again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Spare yourself, please. No matter how cheap the rooms are it's not worth it. My room was covered in stains of varying ominous shades of bodily fluid on the bed head, curtins, and covers. None of the bathrooms had a toilet brush in them and it was clear that they hadn't been touched for months. I presume from looking at the website and previous reviews that it was once run very well but that it no longer the case I'm afraid. I slept on the floor of my friend's bedroom with a chair against the door. Need I say more.

• Stayed July 2010
banbury
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

We just got back from staying at this hotel the reception people were really freindly and helpful we arrived early with our cases and we were able to leave them in thre luggage room until later on this was free of charge .
On arrival when we booked in we were given our key, we were given a room in the base ment, room 3 where it was ajoining room to number two ,oh my god you heard every thing it didnt help that the man had a cough so all night i was kept awake .
The room was very small clean and comforable but no window for air due to being hot but the air con did work the bathroom is wet room with a shower there is tea and coffee making facilities but the cups were plastic there is a fridge and a safety box in room .
Breakfast is a cold buffett but there were eggs and cheese and juices as well.
The hotel i would class it as a bed and breakfast not a hotel in a very good area to get to hyde park which is just a few minutes walk away
i would nt recommend this hotel to people who have children but for younger people who want to just explore london it is ideal due to cost and location .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

This is a very god hotel. Nice and friendly staff. Perfect location. Clean rum and a god breakfast.
I can recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Before we book this hotel, we read many guest reviews on booking.com and tripadvisor. We found that some good and bad comments were written on the booking.com website and many bad comments were added on tripadvisor. So I asked my colleague to phone the hotel to check the availability and ask about the bad comments. The receptionist told her that this hotel was recently refurbished (July 2009). In addition, the receptionist said most of these bad reviews on the tripadvisor written on the 2006, 2007 and 2008 when the hotel was really old. Since, these negative comments in the past, all the rooms were renovated.
Finally, we did the reservation through one of the internet website. During the check in we received excellent service and the receptionist was very friendly. The bathroom was quite luxurious and newly tiled. The bed cover was clean. They have also new carpet, LCD screen inside the room, fridge, coffee and tea making facilities and telephone (you need to ask the main disk to open the line). All in all the hotel is located in excellent location in central London, close to the Hyde Park and Oxford Street. The only thing I would say was not that great the breakfast room as it is quite small. However, you can’t expect more than that if you decided to stay in 2 star hotels in central London. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
taipei
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

they use single room as a twin room, less tha 10m^2 (including bathroom) for 2.
weak function heater, we were so cold during the night and no extra cover for us!
they even charge us the 2nd night when we asked for check-out due to their poor falicity in hotel in the 1st night.
No emergency exit exsit in the entire hotel!
very poor breakfast!!!

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

PROS
Central location in London (near Hyde Park). Friendly and helpful staff. Secure doors (chip card). LCD TV. Fridge. A/C. Safe. Tea/coffee making facilities. Telephone. Lovely, simple decoration. Comfortable bed. Clean towels, toilet and tap/sink (but the sink is too small). Perfectly clean bathroom with beautiful tiles (I think it was refurbished recently). Quiet room – good rest (I had asked for a quiet room when I booked the room after reading others' comments). Low price (£45 per night for a single room) which includes a modest breakfast.
CONS
My room was in the basement so there was no natural light, however, the artificial light was absolutely fine (I was in the city during daylight hours anyway so it didn't bother me). No alarm clock (but nowadays everbody has a mobile /cellular/ phone for this purpose). No hairdryer. No wireless internet access (I had my own mobile internet dongle with me but signal strength was too low in the basement, however, it's still strong enough for a mobile /cellular/ phone call). There is a door (locked, of course) between room No3 (it was mine) and room No2; fortunately for me, the other guest was also a quiet one. No shower curtain in the bathroom between the shower and the toilet. Not really a con: Modest breakfast (self-service in a small area where you can watch TV (BBC News) while eating; slices of white and brown bread (you can toast them), tea, coffee, butter, jam, slices of cheese, hard-boiled eggs, cornflakes (but no muesli), milk, orange juice).
SUMMARY
You can hardly find a better place to stay in central London at this price. If I have to come back to London, I will definitely stay there. (Dissatisfied reviewers might have stayed at luxury hotels previously and that is why their expectations were not met.)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Glendale Hyde Park Hotel? Share your experiences!