“THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER USED” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Glendale Hyde Park Hotel

Save Saved
You added Glendale Hyde Park Hotel to your Saves list
Glendale Hyde Park Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   8 Devonshire Terrace, London W2 3DN, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #886 of 1,073 hotels in London
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER USED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is by far the worst I have EVER had the misfortune of staying in. The fact I have now sought medical and legal advice following my stay here should be enough of a deterrent, but I will explain why I have felt the need to resort to this.

I was allocated room 16, a standard single room with a shower, but shared toilet facilities. If you are allocated this room and are over 5’7, don’t even bother going up and demand to be re-allocated. The ceiling on entry to the room and in the shower area is considerably lower than the standard 6’6” – I am 5’11 and was having to duck considerably to enter the room and had to shower bent double, which has led to severe lower back pain. Worse still, the low ceiling is NOT pointed out in any Health and Safety notices on walls or doors, or mentioned in the sales literature.

Aside from the ceiling, the room itself is MINISCULE – it has clearly been an en-suite or possibly even a storage cupboard in a previous life. It must be no wider than 5ft, and no longer than 8ft. The room is equipped with a mini-fridge, despite a blanket ban on food and drink in the room. Said mini-fridge is positively antique and it overheated to a dangerous level within close proximity to the (incredibly dated) curtains. There’s a sign on it that asks you not to turn it off, but since I value my life I decided to unplug it and remove the risk of the room going up in flames. The window itself is ostensibly brand new, but took me 20+minutes to close due to it being so stiff. I would have just left it, but there was clearly a Wasps’ nest nearby – It is October, there shouldn’t be one Wasp in my hotel, never mind four! As I suffer from an allergy it was essential I removed them and closed my window.

I gave the hotel numerous chances to re-allocate my room over the course of my two night stay, given the serious safety issues surrounding room 16 and my staying there. I first asked at approximately 2.15pm on my first day, where I was told the hotel was “full” and “that’s the room you were given”. I asked again just before 10pm where I was told by a different member of staff that there WAS another room, but I’d have to pay extra to move as it was an “upgrade”. I made requests to be re-allocated again twice on my second day, and was again told to either pay or lump it. I brought up the ceiling height and my knowledge of Health and Safety law, only to be told by the manager that I am “not that tall” so it “shouldn’t be a problem” – I’m 5’11 and was clutching my Modelling portfolio! I immediately sought legal advice after that and have continued to do so.

On checking out, I gave the hotel the chance to refund me for my stay but was told they wouldn’t be prepared to do this. I was even asked “well why didn’t you just check out and leave?” in an incredulous tone by possibly the most incompetent manager I have ever come across. The reason, I told her, was that the hotel had made it clear they wouldn’t be refunding me and I was unable to afford to just book a second hotel room without being refunded for the one I would be leaving. I went about my business that day, knowing I would be returning to collect my luggage (which actually made it into the storage room this time, instead of being left in the corridor in full view like when I dropped it off a few hours before check in), only to find my back pain worsen and the arrival of migraine-type symptoms, likely caused by the repeated impact to my head from the ceiling.

In addition to the absolutely disgusting room, the breakfast was hideous. During the week, it's served between 7.30-9am. I turned up just after 8am to find no clean tables apart from a tiny one in the corner of their little terrace, the food was virtually all gone and the milk was starting to go warm. I left after half a bowl and went to Starbucks.

I have never felt so disgusted with a hotel before in my life. I have taken numerous photos and attached them to this review so you can see for yourselves exactly what a dive this place is. AVOID!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

156 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Greek first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

If budget is not an issue for staying in Central London, then it is wise to choose elsewhere. Otherwise, if you pay peanut, you get monkeys. The hotel is located at a convenient location with Paddington station (train and tube) is just a walk away. There are also small restaurants and shops nearby.

I stayed in a single room and the room is small. There is hardly any place for you to spread your things or even put your luggage. The shower room is also small and the toilet which is a sharing toilet is also tiny. Also, I was not very happy with the internet connection because it was not free. I had to pay for it and the connection was bad. I think I can get better connection when I was in Kathmandu and it is free.

The hotel personnel do assist the guests with their requests. But I saw one female personnel was not very helpful to one of the guest when the guest was asking some questions. The way she was talking to her was not friendly and pleasant

Overall, it is a decent hotel with a good location. It is fine if you are staying for 1 or 2 nights and with a tight budget but want to stay Central London.

Room Tip: There is no lift and you may want to request for lower floors room unless you don't mind using t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

this hotel if you can call a hotel is the worst place that i have ever stayed in, the female front manager was so rude to both my wife and i the rooms so tiny you could not swing a cat in and filthy filthy,the breakfast room is in the dungeon with only a few tables, we ate elsewhere for breakfast.
there are other hotels nearby so my suggestion is to do a walk in and check out the room first.

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I could not believe how bad this hotel is. A double room and not even 18 in of space round the bed. No space for furniture in the room. Shower was dirty and the sink had no plug. £200 a might for such a tiny room and so filthy on the too floor. I have stayed in a room as bad as this before but was in rural Africa and cost £10 per night and I felt sorry for the poverty stricken folk trying to make a living renting out such rooms. To pay so much in London was outrageous. When we complained they gave us a room exactly the same size and a bit cleaner on the second floor. Although this new one had a plug in the sink, but a plug in a sink is still not worth £200 a night. Disgusting.

• Stayed June 2013
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The rooms looked nothing like on the internet but that isnt really much of a surprise but I would have expected better than it was. No matter how cheap or expensive it is still a customer's money being spent.
The entance is misleading and they have cleverly used mirrors to give the impression of a large reception area which adds to the 'online' impression that the 'hotel' is a large and selubrious establishment.

The standard is not up to scratch. I could have grouted and finished the shower and bathroom areas to a much higher standard myself. Some of the grout was dirty and had a culmination of soap. In the first room we stayed in there was no plug in the sink and when on the toilet you almost had your head in the sink and could bang your elbow on the door handle. The shower cubicle was high up and I am sure breaches health and safety regulations. There was just enough room for the width of your legs between the two beds and suitcases had to be stored in front of the exit door. This not spacially suitable. To say they were refurbished 3 years ago is unbelievable to accept.

When we arrived we were told there were two rooms available, one in the basement and one on the top. We did not realise there were 80 stairs to the room at the top and the stairway (which I noticed was filthy as it was wrought iron and not cleaned along the bottom) got narrower with a heavy door at the bottom of one set of stairs. I think there were four rooms squashed in on that top floor. In addition there were more stairs down to the 'cooked breakfast' in the basement.

My fear was how to escape in the event of a fire. A fire escape on the ground floor and the basement is certainly not adequate especially given the cramped rooms and stairs at the top. I find it unbelievable that a fire and safety officer would have allowed that. When told the room was on the fourth floor we did not expect there to be so many stairs. My house is on three floors and has approximately 22 stairs but it was the 'zig zag' layout in the hotel which required the 80 stairs.
My friend asked if she could see the other room in the basement but she reported back to me that it was no larger and was very dark. She asked if there was another room and was told there would be one on the first floor the following day. So the next morning we packed our luggage ready to be moved.
We were not late for breakfast on the first morning and were there at the same time as many other guests so thankgoodness not all the guests arrived for breakfast at the same time. 'Cooked' breakfast was a 'do-it-yourself' job and many guests were outside in the yard on wooden garden furniture under canvas with patio heaters. Breakfast consisted of tea, coffee, orange juice toast, jam/marmalade, cheese, ham, cornflakes and boiled eggs.

Later that evening when we returned to the hotel we went to the room on the first floor. This was still up two flights of stairs but of course much better than the other room. The bathroom was larger and had a proper shower cubicle. Again the 'finishing' of the grouting etc was not up to standard and was not clean. The mirror above the sink was so low that you had to crouch down to use it.
The window to the room (beyond which was a balcony with no indication as to whether it was safe to step out onto or not) opened upwards but there was nothing to secure it so we had to use plastic water bottles in order to allow air into the room.

The hairdrier and holster was located above the plastic shelf for the kettle so in order to use the kettle the hairdrier had to be removed from the holster and left to dangle below...but even worse there was no socket in which to plug the kettle. When my friend went to reception to ask they said there was an extension under the bed. There was and was used for the bedside lamp. If you look at the photos you will see yet another health and safety breach with the extension lead dangling in the air and the lead across the floor. This is NOT acceptable. The milk consisted of powered sachets-yuk!

Again our suitcases had to be positioned in front of the doorway/exit.

The following morning we had to be at breakfast early due to planes and coaches to catch. The receptionist had said the cleaners would be there or to go to reception to have the breakfast area opened up. No one was there so we asked for the room to be opened up. I refused to have a cup of tea as I guessed the water was there from the morning before and had probably been boiled again and again. The bowl of eggs were put out but then removed and returned a couple of minutes later with water on them...had yesterday's been warmed up? Who knows.

The door down to the breakfast room had stairs immediately behind it. Again something that could have been a potential accident. There was no sign warning guests of this.

This hotel has too many rooms crammed in for it to be safe and comfortable for guests. Health and Safety officers should be reprimanded if they have passed this hotel on inspection.

The hotel is described as economical....'economical' with the truth maybe. Premier Inn for example are considered basic and 'economical' but at least they are of a higher standard than the Glendale Hyde Park Hotel.

The 'standard' or lack of, the health and safety issues along with the attempt to get as many guests into such a small premises is appalling. I dread to think how 29 guests would have evacuated the building in an emergency and am relieved that not all the guests arrived for breakfast at the same time.

I am embarrassed to think that my friend had visited from Germany and had thought she had booked one of the the better hotels in the area and had decided to treat me to a couple of days away and it was like Fawlty Towers...in fact worse...we would have laughed had it not been so bad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Stuttgart, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Don't book at that hotel, because the rooms especially the showers are not in the condition as shown online.
One of the top rooms is 80 steps away from the reception, no lift at all.
In the morning you have to wait until you can finish having a shower and the breakfast room is in the cellar, very tiny and really simple, only toast, butter, marmelade, cheese and eggs. No fruit, no yogurth !
It is the money you have to pay not worth.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Glendale Hyde Park Hotel? Share your experiences!