“nice friendly and safe” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Edward House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Edward House
You added Edward House to your Saves list
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 St Georges Drive, London SW1V 4DP, England (Pimlico)   |
Ranked #868 of 1,049 Hotels in London
malta
“nice friendly and safe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

for the price you pay it is a nice friendly hotel ,not that modern but clean, and a nice continental b,fast which consists of cornflakes ,oatmeal ,toast ,butter ,jam and croisants and youghart, tea and coffee.the staff are ok too ,if you ask them they will try to help you with your question. my room was in the basement but considering the price @ triple ensiute ,the room was good in size and the shower and toilet was clean and big.the best thing is you always find someone at the reception 24hours that makes you feel safe.over all this is my final comment never forget what you paid for a basic one star hotel so don't think you will find a 5 star room and furnitue ,what you pay for you get,and the location is eccelllent just 2 min walk fom victoria train station and 1 min walk from victoria coach station ,nice safe area .

• Liked — nice location
  • Disliked — stairs to basement just a little smell of dampness but basement rooms ok
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

Like so many others the "21 bright rooms with power showers" fooled me. The staff are rude and the room is disgusting so much so that I did not stick around for the breakfast which is one thing I noticed had decent reviews. The bedding was old and unpressed, wall paper tatty and cabling all over. The roof also looked like it could cave in at any moment especially with the vibration and noise from the trains outside my window. The trains also run all night. Expect 3 -4 hours sleep at a push. Don't expect any refunds or favours either. I still have 2 nights to go. What a nightmare!!!!

• Liked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harrow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

We paid 50£ for 3 people, sharing one room.
We had our own bathroom.
Everythg was really clean. Staff was ok but didnt seem to understand a word of my French English (which is not that bad by the way). The bathroon's window was broken and replaced by a board. But otherwise everythg else worked. Tea facilities were ok. Bed really unfomfortable. Small for 3. but loads of drawers, towels, soaps ect.. quite practical.
I am happy i paid only 50£ for that, would have been really unhappy if paid more.
Really good location.
Nice breakfast. But small breakfast area with weird staff looking at us all the time... :-S
Perfect place for young people having no money, who just want a nite out in London, n a bed to sleep in! :-)

• Liked — the price
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

If this room had only cost $40 a night this would have been worth it, but it didn't, it cost $90. I might as well have just slept at the airport. The room was the size of a sardine can, the bed was the size of a matchbox. The room was butted up against the train station so I heard them going all night, not to mention the paper thin walls which lead to hearing other noises.

The staff was rude and the breakfast area was just that - an area no bigger than a closet. The bathrooms were dirty - meaning wet toilet paper everywhere, uncleaned bowls, etc.

Even if you're backpacking you shouldn't have to deal with this. Stay at a hostel, it's cheaper and you'll probably have a better room than this. I can't think of one good reason to stay here. Even being close to the train station isn't a selling point because there are several other hotels in the area. Stay at one of those instead.

• Liked — Uhm...the tea pot?
  • Disliked — The bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Eastbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

The website says this hotel will "exceed your expectations" . . . well, I thought it might be bad, so it succeeded. It was exceedingly dirty, smelly and cramped, with poorer facilities than I expected. The numbers of cockroach traps in my room certainly exceeded my expectations, as did the shoddy decor and carpets, uneven floors, temperamental door locks and the very unappealing breakfast room. This place is about 20 years overdue a refurb and charging £80 a night is daylight robbery. My advice is don't do it - go anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2008

Based on the information provided and pictures displayed on the Edward House Hotel website, we booked two nights 13/14th June 2008 for our holiday weekend in London for Trooping of the Colour.

The website boasts, and I quote....21 bright and spacious modern bedrooms with power showers, direct dial telephone complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, hairdryer, central heating, interactive colour televisions with Satellite Channels, radio channels...unquote.

After hauling our luggage up numerous flights of wonkey stairs to the top floor, we were dismayed, disappointed and upset to find the room allocated to us to be anything other than a bright and spacious modern bedroom. In fact it was quite the opposite, in that it was dark and dingy and sparsely fitted with furniture and for the life of us, we couldn't see the complimentary tea and coffee or any of the other advertised features.

If the advertised garb on a hotel website boasts 21 modern spacious bedrooms with etc etc, then we would expect that every room would be similar in appearance and be similarly equipped, whether it has ensuite facilities, or shared.

Our modern spacious bedroom, that wasn't spacious OR modern didnt have a toilet and the only toilet available for our use was down four flights down to the second floor.

On viewing the room and finding it unacceptable to our requirements, we decided that we would move on and find another hotel to stay. We therefore requested that we be refunded the two nights accomdation that we had paid when signing. Our attention was drawn to the hotel cancellation policy (which by the way has failed to download each time we have tried to access it on the internet) and the fact that we would forfeit one nights' accommdation. They offered to upgrade us to another room at no further charge, but on inspection we found the second room to be no better than the first room allocated, although it did have a shower shoved in over the toilet.

We then decided to forfeit one nights accommodation in favour of moving on to something more acceptable and asked for our second night to be refunded back into our bank account. We were told by the person in charge, that it couldn't be done till the following morning, however, we have checked our bank account, and it still hasn't been refunded.

The hotel porter told us that because we had booked a basic room, we couldn't expect the same facilities as in other rooms. However, I remind you again that advertising garb on the website boasts 21 bright and spacious modern bedrooms with .....etc etc

Fraudulent advertising doesn't make for good business.

Will we see our refund?

Signed....we two kiwis!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
UK Resident
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2007

If you are anything other than a student that is used to staying in squalid digs (which I once was), DO NOT stay here. My wife and I wanted a relatively cheap room for the night because we wanted to go and see a band in London and not have to try to get home really late at night.

We didn't go and see the band because once we had seen our room I immediately refused to stay there and asked for a refund (which I am still trying to secure from the manager). The room, an en suite, was a disgrace - and it wasn't even the cheapest!

By the way, I made the booking on the strength of the pictures of the rooms on the hotel website. The pictures on the site bear absolutely no resemblance to the actual rooms.

My thoughts turned to the idea of someone visiting this country on holiday who have booked to stay in this place for a number of days. What a terrible advert for London as a place to visit. Stay away.

Stayed October 2007

Been to Edward House? Share your experiences!