“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #873 of 1,052 Hotels in London
Liphook, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Good for an overnight stop. Rooms are small but clean. Not very central but a lovely walk through Hyde park. Staff are helpful and friendly. Good value for money in a nice quiet area. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
iloveotis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Unless you are accustomed to squalid conditions! My husband and I booked this for one night on our honeymoon as a place to crash after our transatlantic flight. BIG MISTAKE! After hours of flying, we arrive here late late at night--lugging suitcases up the stairs. When we got to the room I was appalled! I've seen homeless shelters that look better than this! Dirty, filthy looking blankets, rickety twin beds in a dark dank sardine can sized room. Everything looked dirty and dingy and OLD--like several decades old. Rat and cockroach traps everywhere-- The window was wide open and overlooking a roof of some kind--I thought, wow, how inviting for a robber! Just beyond this roof top--the trains--the bathroom was worse than a cruise ship bathroom with the shower over a toilet. No way my 6'4 husband was going to fit in there. There was no way I could get comfortable there. And surprise surprise, no refund. We called the hotel we planned to stay in in Mayfair. They sent their driver to pick us up after we figured out the outside phone (the hotel wouldn't call for us or let us use their phone)--you can imagine out delight when we arrived at our new digs with our awesome room with a CLEAN bathtub for a hot bath and champagne in our mini bar...just HEAVEN after total Hell!!! Do not go to this hole in the wall. You will regret it unless you like squalid conditions.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room here.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Torquay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 13 nights, so I like to think I have a decent authority on what it's like.
I was staying in a single, basic room.

Negatives:

- No "Satelite TV", or certainly none that I got. It has a TV with the 5 terrestrial channels, but no more.
- Tiny en-suite. Literally the smallest room I've ever seen. But technically, it has a shower, toilet and sink, so it counts.
- Fire Alarms, went off twice during the early hours - both faults in the system. Safe to say I wasn't happy.
- Breakfast, awful, just awful. After two days I stopped having it. Bread or Cornflakes with milk that had been left out for ages and was quite warm.

Positives

- Value, £50 a night for the centre of London is amazing value. Sure its not 5 star, but as I said in the title, if you want more - you're going to have to pay for it.
- Staff were very friendly, were always happy to help whenever I had a problem.
- Free WiFi ! - does what it says on tin. No fuss, just an internet that worked, and didn't cost

Some stray things

- Train noise. It's right next to the railway station, but the noise for me wasn't that bad. I was on the otherside of the hotel so maybe anyone who's room backed on to it had it worse, but I did have the window wide open. If you're a light sleeper then ear plugs might be a good shout, I'm a pretty good sleeper so I didn't notice it.
- The room wasn't bad. Sure it was simple, and it was small, but it served its purpose.

Not a 5 star hotel by any means, but given its location, it's perfect for anyone who wants a cheap stay in London. And a perfectly reasonable hotel by all accounts. And if you need food (as I did eventually all day around), you're 200 yards from Victoria shopping centre - plenty of places to get food in there.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
DUblin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I have just returned from a nights stay in this place with my husband and 2 children and will never return to it. The carpet in the bedroom was old, torn and stained. The sparse furnishings were chipped and broken. The one curtain on the window did not fit and the bright external light shone through into the room. The ensuite was the size of a broom cupboard -one piece plastic like a porta loo. The smell from within was horrendous. The bottom of the door was rotten and there was a gap under the door. Having been unable to find alternative accomodation we were forced to spend a night in this dump. The noise from outside all night was unbelievable and the noise and vibration of trains rumbled through the room for most of the night. We got very little sleep. Only positive features of this place was nice staff and good location. Stay away!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

Not the place for a great vacation, but a good place if you are passing through and want a private room to flop in for the night. We paid 32 pounds per night. They let us check in early and were very helpful. Linens were clean and towels were replaced each day (we stayed 2 nights). Carpets are old, so take flip flops for the shower and around the room. No bedbugs, but showers were moldy. Sink and toilet areas were clean. Breakfast at least included some yogurt and some cereal plus the typical breads. My boyfriend said that the coffee smelled awful, but I just had tea and was fine. Closest place to Victoria Coach and Train Stations, so perfect for us. TV and tea in the rooms were nice. Walls are thin, take ear plugs.

Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2009

I stayed here for one night in the beginning of Dec. Being in transit to other parts of the country this hotel made an excellent choice - close to the Victoria rail, coach and underground stations.

The room was basic, everything was clean, the breakfast was ok and the staff very helpful. Contrary to other reviews, the sound of the trains was negligible - almost non-existent - perhaps it was the room i got.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

Myself and my friend ended up in this hotel last minute.
We were staying in London for 3 days and 2 nights, the previous night we stayed at another hotel (The Grapevine/Olympic House) It was terrible so we moved across to the Edward House Hotel. We walk in on a Friday morning at 9.30 and the lovely manager provided us with a room straight away and also offered us breakfast when the kitchen was due to close. He was very friendly and accomodating advising us if we needed anything just to ask.
A wonderful budget hotel within a fantastic location and cheap. Ensuite room was basic but spacious, comfortable and the shower was brilliant. Tea and coffee making facilities with hot chocolate too! All branded products.
Would definitely recommend staying here for a mini break.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends